Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone here on antidepressant have a success story? Need a tip to get off this stall (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=129662)

Agnes Sun, Aug-10-03 21:02

Anyone here on antidepressant have a success story? Need a tip to get off this stall

I am on week 5 of induction, exercising regularly even if it is fairly low impact (my legs have trouble carrying my 155 lb) and haven't lost a gram in 3 weeks. I am sticking to induction. I read that there were carbs in AD medication, should I head for a lower than 20g induction stage? Does anybody have any pointers in terms of just how much I should reduce? I will send (or post) what I take to have an idea, if need be.

Agnes

94513 Mon, Aug-18-03 19:56

Agnes - I don't share the same profile regarding AD medication, however, I do know the frustration of not seeing the scale move. One on the best and easiest tips I can suggest is increasing your water intake. So many threads talk about the benefits of drinking much more than the recommended 64oz per day.

best luck!

GG'sMom Thu, Aug-28-03 14:06

Dear Agnes:

I also take AD drugs (zoloft). I was very gung-ho into induction, but decided this was the one "Rule" I was going to break. What use is it to be slim but depressed and miserable? To me, it was not worth the mental pain. The reason Atkins recommends discontinuing AD drugs is not because the pills themselves contain carbs but because the brain physiology is altered by the drugs, and this potentially causes the body to retain fat or water or God-knows-what, or slows the metabolism. I don't think anyone is certain of the precise mechanism.

Anyway, I was able to lose my prescribed 10% of weight during induction, and am on schedule for the remaining weight loss (1-2 lb/wk) but it has not been a straight progression. I stalled out at 148 for the longest, then had a "whoosh" and went down to 144 in a matter of 2 days, and now the scale hasn't moved again. But it's much easier to enjoy these small successes with a healthy state of emotionality than it would be to enjoy any amount of weight loss while depressed.

Keep the faith and you will amaze yourself!

Agnes Thu, Aug-28-03 14:13

Hi,

thank you for your optimistic answer. I actually have lost another 1.5 lb since the post but I guess I will be a slow one. The good news is I am actually losing. I am glad to hear I am not the only one on ADs having long stalls :roll:!

And you are right about keeping in good mental spirit. Thank you everyone on this board for their support.

Agnes

serrelind Thu, Sep-04-03 06:39

I was prescribed Lexapro (an SSRI), took 1 pill, and decided that it wasn't for me. Most people gain weight on antidepressants, especially an SSRI type of drug. If you need the drug, stick with it. But for me, I thought the benefit would not outweight the negative stuff that comes with it.

brion1234 Mon, Sep-08-03 03:57

I have been on a SSRI my entire time low carbing. It hasnt had any impact. I lost 60 pounds in 4 months.

Agnes Mon, Sep-08-03 07:24

Wow! Hurray for you! I think it might slow things down for most people but eventually, we get where we want to.

Thanks for your post.