Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   atkins is easy on the pocketbook (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172346)

cptbarkey Fri, Mar-12-04 11:56

atkins is easy on the pocketbook

i'm on day 7 of atkins, went through the ritual purging of the kitchen of illegal foods ( my neighbor was very happy that day ). i just went shopping again, all said an done i bought about 50-60 dollars worth of food that will last me a week and a half. this is probably half of what i was normally spending before atkins.

*speechless* and happy :)

teresamay Fri, Mar-12-04 11:57

I know, I have foudn the same thing - especially since i have stopped buying junk food and goodies!

Kristine Fri, Mar-12-04 12:07

Good for you! :thup: I found the same thing. I was spending more on meat and cheese, but saving big time on the junk I *wasn't* buying. No more chips, cereal, or hot-chocolate-and-donut runs to Tim Horton's.

Tracey71 Fri, Mar-12-04 12:10

I agree too. I find that now that I'm not buying all the prepared foods my grocery bill is alot lower.

AFwife Fri, Mar-12-04 12:11

I have to agree. No more ice cream or pies and chips and chocolate and OH GOD we drank so much soda, especially Coca Cola.

I'm eating more vege's than ever before and the wallet is doing so good. :yay:

Lily

FrecklFluf Fri, Mar-12-04 12:11

My grocery bill has gone up a bit, but if you factor in the vending machine candy splurges and the massive eating out, I think overall it's gone down.

Paris Fri, Mar-12-04 12:51

I also have had an increased grocery bill, but a decreased all-around food bill. It's amazing what a cafe latte or donut can cost when you add them up for the week!

yvonne326 Fri, Mar-12-04 12:53

I found no noticible difference in my food budget...still around 120 for family of 4. I do not buy many low-carb specialty products which are what can cause a budget to go up up up.

NOGAINHERE Fri, Mar-12-04 12:59

Wow, to you 120 for 4 people??? Yikes!

I guess we just eat well ;)

I buy alot of steak and shrimp and the kids love shrimp too, and fried chicken from the grocery store. I would bet I easily spend about 200 a week on groceries. I kept track at one time for a whole month of every $ I spent- it was sickening!

yvonne326 Fri, Mar-12-04 13:01

I have 2 dogs too.

And I eat steak and shrimp too...but I only buy on sale.

You can definitely keep a "budget" by shopping around. I routinely shop at 3 different supermarkets...buying whats on sale in each...and buying stuff at the wholesale club (i.e. salad greens, dairy products) that are cheaper in bulk.

AFwife Fri, Mar-12-04 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGAINHERE
Wow, to you 120 for 4 people??? Yikes!

I guess we just eat well ;)

I buy alot of steak and shrimp and the kids love shrimp too, and fried chicken from the grocery store. I would bet I easily spend about 200 a week on groceries. I kept track at one time for a whole month of every $ I spent- it was sickening!

Ditto here on the good food. Though we spend less now it's still up there. We spend about 150 a week on grocery, whereas before we spent close to 300 and there are 4 of us here too.

Yikes!

Lily

vbrowne Fri, Mar-12-04 13:06

I'm impressed - $120 for a family of 4 - albeit, that's USD - my grocery bill for 2 is about $250, but we always eat at home, and make enough for lunches - bringing lunch saves us probably about $10/day each.

Vikki

CindyG Fri, Mar-12-04 13:12

My overall food budget is greatly reduced! Have to say bringing lunch and eating at home for dinner really cuts back on expenses.

The best thing is that I actually eat the food I buy now. I used to be terrible and buying food, sticking it in the fridge and throwing it all away 2 weeks later! I never ate at home before. I can't even tell you how many grocercies wasted away in my fridge! Now you can actually see the food in there and it gets eaten! It was really weird to have to take out the trash, recycle bottles/cans more than once a week!

I am spending more on dishwasher detergent and dish soap though, HAHA!

bonesigh Fri, Mar-12-04 13:21

My grocery bill has gone up. I used to eat a lot of pasta,
bread, rice dishes, etc. But not much meat. Now that I'm eating a good deal of meat, the weekly cost has gone up. But not tremendously, since I've cut out all of the junk foods for me (although my family still eats some of that stuff).

-Mike

cptbarkey Fri, Mar-12-04 14:16

i've had a sams club membership for about 8 months, i've gotten some really good deals there on meats and even some atkins stuff. might want to check it out.