Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   heart palpitations on Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=104694)

willsmom7 Sun, May-11-03 20:47

heart palpitations on Atkins

In the last day or so, I have been having what feels like heart palpitations. Has any one else experienced this? I have never had this happen before, maybe I need more potassium?

Any help will be appreciated.

Danyele Sun, May-11-03 21:35

hi,

I had them too really bad when i first started Atkins. Now I make sure I take potassium, cal-mag and drink lots of water and i have no problems with them anymore :)

Danyele

willsmom7 Sun, May-11-03 21:54

I've been looking at older messages on the boards, and that hopefully that is the problem. I sent my hubby to the store to get a potassium supplement.

Thanks for responding!!

Susan

aznlily68 Sun, May-11-03 22:01

omg, ive been feeling like im getting like heart attacks or something. I feel like i ate too much fat and its just so scary.....help

LUNABABY Mon, May-12-03 04:26

omg

that sounds scary! do u think centrum vitamins help prevent this??

nikkil Mon, May-12-03 05:24

This is REALLY weird. I used to get palpitations BEFORE I started Atkins, and I haven't had them since I started! I don't know if it's connected but I us NuSalt (salt substitute-potassium) since I started LCing, and taking supplements. I don't know if that's the connection or not.

To be on the safe side, I would mention the palps to your doc.

N.

BarbCA Mon, May-12-03 05:39

If you aren't getting calcium, magnesium and potassium, it could cause heart palpitations due to lack of electrolytes. Regular vitamins like Centrum don't have enough of these minerals to prevent palpitations or muscle cramps.

STALLQUEEN Mon, May-12-03 07:18

Me too

I Had a stabbing pain in the area of where my heart is, so bad I went ot the doctors, of course they said it was stress, like they always do when they dont have the answers, still comes and goes ????.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, my heart weas checked and no sign of a heart attach

willsmom7 Mon, May-12-03 08:34

As I said earlier, I got some potassium supplements and a new multivitimin with more goodies in it. We'll see if that helps and if the palps continue, I will contact my dr.

Thanks to all who replied!!

nawchem Mon, May-12-03 10:55

I tried to do atkins for 6 months and would always get really erratic heartbeats, finally got a new dr. that suggested hypoglycemia. I've been eating more frequently and keeping my calories up and I don't have them.

nikkil Tue, May-13-03 02:36

stallqueen

isn't it interesting that doc's seem to always say it's 'stress' when they can't figure things out. For me--hairloss, cysts, acne, heart palps--all caused by stress!!

N.

Crimson Tue, May-13-03 10:30

I had them pretty bad before starting Atkins... I started to think I was going through pre-menapause. When I started Atkins they subsided a bit... then after adding a magnesium/calcium supplement they pretty much stopped.