Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Who suffers NO adverse reactions from sugar alcohols? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=160472)

ItsTheWooo Sun, Jan-18-04 16:26

Who suffers NO adverse reactions from sugar alcohols?

With all the people who seem to suffer serious digestive side effects, or have their weight loss stalled from sugar alcohols, I was wondering what percentage of us experience none to very mild side effects?

Personally, all the sugar free candy I have tried has not brought on cravings (in fact, quite the opposite), none have upset my blood sugar, none have stalled my weight loss, and only in the begining did I experience some digestive side effects. However, today the laxitive effects are very very mild (and sometimes even welcomed :) ).

red1cutie Sun, Jan-18-04 16:43

I haven't tried them yet. What I've heard about them scares me.

red

Dewi Sun, Jan-18-04 16:48

Your telling me Red ... anything that says
"Excessive Consumption may cause a laxative effect" I stay clear from that.

They arent joking, BTDT!

tagcaver Sun, Jan-18-04 17:38

Sugar alcohols are BAD PUPPIES!

I suffer a minimum of gas and bloating, and that's with less than a "serving"! First time I ate more than a "serving" was an explosive situation, to say the least.

I will still enjoy a hard candie on occasion (I keep a bowl of SF hard candies around for that occasional dry mouth that water won't cure). But.......... NEVER NEVER if I plan on being around other human beings within about 6 hours.

Joan

kyrasdad Sun, Jan-18-04 17:45

I don't seem to stall from eating them, and I don't tend to have any laxative effect from most. I have a stock of them, and have eaten quite a lot during the same time I was losing 2-3 pounds a week. It's definitely a person by person thing, though. I know people who stall if they eat them.

Marieshops Sun, Jan-18-04 17:58

As long as I do not exceed the recommended serving size I have no problem with sf stuff. If I eat more than a serving size it can have unpleasant side effects. They do not cause me to have any cravings and do not seem to stall me.
Marie

Lisa N Sun, Jan-18-04 18:01

I can tolerate small amounts of them (as in maybe half an average candy bar serving), but any more than that and I'm either running for the bathroom or doubled up with severe gas pains or both. Over the past 3 years, I can't really say that I've noticed any improvement or increase in tolerance for them, either.
Had an episode last week where a co-worker brought back low carb coconut cookies after lunch and I had two of them (2 net carbs each supposedly) before I read the label. Big mistake! Each cookie had 18 grams of Maltitol. Needless to say, that evening I wasn't any too comfy. :p

red1cutie Sun, Jan-18-04 18:48

Sounds like they give you the same effect as senna leaves. :lol: I'll stay away thanks.

red

odyssey Sun, Jan-18-04 19:12

i don't have any problems with them. One or two pieces of Russell Stovers takes away any "sweet" craving i have and that is much less than a serving, and *much much* less than the amount of chocolate i used to have to eat with sugar to satisfy a craving.

4beans4me Sun, Jan-18-04 19:53

I don't have any problems with them, nor do they stall me.

gilibel Sun, Jan-18-04 20:25

Don't know what to vote on.

I have no problem chewing tons of my regular SF gum and it contains (*gasp*): sorbitol, isomalt, xylitol, maltitol, acesulfam K, aspartame... YIKES! What a list!

However, if I try to "indulge" in an LC "choco"-bar of any description, or eat SF jellies, or Weight Watchers SF candy... OUCH! Immediate Montezuma's Revenge. Maybe it's a higher concentration of a certain sugar alcohol in these items... never checked it.

Never stalled me, though.

But for a real treat, I eat some dark, dark (85%-99%) chocolate instead. Real McCoy. Still lowcarb.

/gil

iamlindab Sun, Jan-18-04 20:57

Sugar Alcohol

Wow, that stuff kept me up all night a few weeks back! I work in a store and we had gotten in some new sugar free candy - it was like Tootsie Rolls and I really like them. So, I figured I'd give them a try. Well, I got terrible cramps and I rumbled inside most of the night but I did not run to the bathroom. I figured it wasn't worth the pain that I had so I did not eat anymore of them.

I love Jelly Belly jelly beans and I just had to try the sugar free ones. I figured I'd just get the cramps and rumbling again if anything. Was I ever wrong - I probably ate about 1 1/2 servings - that night I woke up at 3 AM so sick I and in such pain that I could hardly stand it. I spend most of the rest of the night and the next morning in the bathroom.

I had bought a package for my daugher and was not about to chance her going through what I did. The candy store where I got the Jelly Belly's tried to tell me that only happens if you are not a diabetic - I am sure that has nothing to do with it.

No more for me! If it says on the package "may cause laxative effect" I am going to run from it! :nono:

nursey15 Sun, Jan-18-04 21:32

not one single effect for me and with this WOE I got them just for the laxitive effect and it didn't work.

VALEWIS Sun, Jan-18-04 22:15

I get some rumblings if I eat more than say 6 of the diet chocolate squares...so limit it to that amount. Apparently some sugar alcohol's are worse than others. I have no idea if they stall me, as I am stalled most of the time anyway!

Val

Kathy54 Sun, Jan-18-04 23:08

I have no effect from them, however, I never eat a whole N/S bar in one go, it lasts me 3-4 days. I may be wrong but, I think very few others do this.
Once again I think moderation is the key, unless of course you have a real sensitivity to it, then any amount would be foolish.

Kathy