Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Crushing Pork Skins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=100345)

Daethian Tue, Apr-22-03 08:44

Crushing Pork Skins

I can't seem to find a efficient and neat way to crush up my pork skins! If I crush them in a bag they poke the plastic and stuff.

How do you guys do this without making a mess????

Anshim Tue, Apr-22-03 08:48

Hi :)

I've never done this myself, but I think I read in a thread a while back that someone crushes his pork skins in the blender or food processor, then keeps the crumbs in the freezer. Maybe that might help?

:)
Anshim

ijbsgirl Tue, Apr-22-03 09:04

I AM NOT REALLY LAME, BUT DOES THIS MEAN I CAN CRUSH THEM AND USE AS A BREADING ON CHICKEN OR SOMETHING? YEA?

Anshim Tue, Apr-22-03 09:23

Hi ijbsgirl!

No, you're not lame! Yes, I've heard people use crushed pork skins as a substitute for breading.....for chicken, or filler for meatloaf. If you do a search for "pork skins", or look in the recipes section, then you'll find lots of recipes and ideas! :)

see ya!
anshim

lbiessen Tue, Apr-22-03 09:32

I use a small food processor to grind pork rinds, It choppes them very vine, fixed shake and bake for my family, used pork rinds for myself and spouse, seasoned the rinds before coating. VERY V ERY good, I was suprised how good they were. You feel like you are totally cheating and your not.

Lora

2berners Tue, Apr-22-03 10:10

If you don't have a little prep food processer, try wrapping them in a clean tea towel and crushing them with a rolling pin. It keeps the mess off the counter and you can just shake the excess crumbs into the sink.

TES Tue, Apr-22-03 10:11

Hi,
I use a lot of crushed pork rinds for breading chicken and fish...very good! I have a "guy" way for crushing the little fellows.
First open the bag and fold so the air can escape then use a flat faced rubber mallet to pound them up. You can turn them into a fine powder if you want to this way. It's very efficient and faster than other ways I have tried and there is no clean-up. :thup:

DWRolfe Tue, Apr-22-03 10:40

I do it all the time...crush pork rinds, I mean. ;)

I use a small food processor that holds about a cup and a half. This lets me get them to the consistency of bread crumbs. I also crush more than I need and keep them in a sealed container in the fridge. I used to season them while they were still in the food processor, but I use them for so many things I soon realized that seasoning them as I needed them was better. After all, who wants garlic in their Pork Rind French Toast?? :eek:

Donald :wave:

lhill Tue, Apr-22-03 11:08

i bought a

blender just for the pork rinds(never had one before). Put in a few then just pulse for a couple of seconds.
I use the crushed rinds for breading(chicken,pork,country fried steak, ect) also use them in meatloaf and meatballs.
linda

blatla Tue, Apr-22-03 11:14

OK...All of you are having success using crushed pork rinds as breading. My attempt was a disaster...what did I do wrong? I tried making fried zucchini. I dipped the zucchini slices in beaten egg and then in the pork rinds and put them in the skillet. The "breading" didn't stay on them and it just made a disgusting mess. I was very disappointed. What should I have done differently? When you use it on meat, are you frying the meat or baking it?

Tricia

Talon Tue, Apr-22-03 11:53

My husband (the cook) says that the heat of the oil you put the food in is important, hat, but not too hot. It makes his chicken come out nice a cripsy brown.

The pork rinds, he uses a variation on one of the above:

Partially open bag, use marble rolling pin to crush.

DWRolfe Tue, Apr-22-03 12:36

When I use pork rinds on meats, I fry them. I dip in egg, dredge through the rinds and press them on good. Then I fry in olive oil mixed with butter. My fried chicken is excellent.

I once had a disaster with shrimp, where all the breading fell off. But they were still part frozen, so I think the moisture pushed all the rinds off. Your zuchini may have been too moist...

Donald :wave:

earthlyone Tue, Apr-22-03 12:49

I just crushed mine this morning using my hand! I know, a little barbaric. I made french toast with them out of the recipe forum and it was really, really good. In fact, I was very surprised. I think this will be an every other day breakfast for me!

I have been drinking Atkins shakes for breakfast becuase I was getting tired of making just eggs and bacon. Now I will be adding pork skin french toast to my menu.

mommyto3 Tue, Apr-22-03 13:09

How do you make French toast?

Also, can you tell that the breading is actually pork rinds? I really detest pork rinds - taste and texture.

2berners Tue, Apr-22-03 13:14

Yes, moisture on vegetables will make the breading fall off, you need to pat them dry. I'm not even sure if you should dip them in egg, maybe you should go to Food Network and check out their tempura vegetable recipes.