Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   la tortilla factory tortillas? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=155521)

enginepe Fri, Dec-26-03 19:49

la tortilla factory tortillas?

Does anyone have an opinion on the La Tortilla Factory tortillas - or other similar product? It is free of hydrogenated oils and trans fats, has only 3 net carbs and are delicious.

I did a search but I got no results once and millions the next but nothing specifically about this subject.

Thanks

DarB Fri, Dec-26-03 19:54

I eat them all the time...with many variations...and love them...no reason why they can't be used...
I found another brand just last week...the large ones only have 5 grams carbs per, haven't tried them yet...but they actually look better than the La tortilla...more like real tortilla shells.

enginepe Fri, Dec-26-03 20:05

DarB, can you tell me the brand of the larger tortillas and where you found them? Of course your up in the great white north and I'm down here in flyover country so not much chance I have the same grocery chain. But maybe I can suggest the brand at my local store.

etoiles Fri, Dec-26-03 20:16

My mom made a recipe with those la tortilla factory tortillas that I thought was great and very easy! Normally I don't like the taste except when spread with cream cheese and low carb jam but this way it also tasted very good

She stuffed each tortilla with a chile from a can of whole mild green chilies and a stick of cheese. Covered with enchilada sauce and cheese and baked until bubbly! very delish!

enginepe Fri, Dec-26-03 20:40

etoiles - sounds good! i'll give that a try.

Personally I use them most often for breakfast burritos with sausage, eggs, cheese and a tbsp of salsa - maybe a little sour cream if I feel naughty. I also use them with spicy beef and sauted onions..or beef or chicken fajitas with homeade guacamoli. As long as dont have more than one or two they dont seem to hamper my weight loss.

DarB Fri, Dec-26-03 22:08

Enginepe,
I got them down in the states...at a cash and carry store...they are called Don Pancho Low Carb Wraps...they look really good, and I might use them tomorrow and then I can tell you how they taste.
I often take them and use them for supper...mostly with some bacon, cheese and mushrooms...and sour cream and a bit of Salsa...but have also taken chicken, fried it up a bit...and used that with some cheese etc...very tasty...the La Tortilla don't crisp up, and I really would like them to do that so they are more like quesadilla's when I am done with them.
Hope that helps.

Wenzday Sun, Dec-28-03 21:07

I love them I use them for breakfast burritos and chicken fajitas too!

Idabelle Sun, Dec-28-03 22:38

I think they are better than any low-carb bread that I have tried.

dan_ak Mon, Dec-29-03 08:35

The Best -- in fact i'm eating one as part of my breakfast as I type this. :) I don't care for lc bread, but these tortillas really give you that "bread feel" i.e. you can have sandwhiches, wraps, etc. Very versitile. Also, don't forget they are very high in fiber.

kyrasdad Mon, Dec-29-03 09:34

I found Mama Lupe's and they are in my opinion better than La Tortilla. Just more like a flour tortilla. They are a bit tacky and tend to tear, though, if you peel them apart to quickly. They're less expensive, too.

windy Tue, Dec-30-03 09:14

I like the La Tortilla and use them for the breakfast burrito and for a wrap for a sandwich and also for a taco salad type thing. Very good.

Linda

laddi Wed, Dec-31-03 22:10

Don Poncho low carb wraps are really good too they also have 3 net carbs :)

Smoosh Wed, Dec-31-03 22:38

I love them! I use them to make mini pizzas. I use a mixture of no carb ketchup and tomato paste for the sauce and add whatever I have in my fridge. I gotta say that Kraft Greek Feta cheese is wonderful and adds nice flavor to it!

I must look for the larger ones at the cash and carry store.