Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I can't sleep (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=46051)

Jinkster Thu, May-30-02 07:43

I can't sleep

HI all,

I'm a 3rd week LC'er, and since I think I ate some stuff in the induction diet I wasn't supposed to (like nuts) and I haven't lost that much weight, I've been continuing Induction through the 3rd week and am being more rigorous about what I eat.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting to sleep these days, and I wake up several times at night (which I never used to do). :o The Atkins' official website says to consider moving from Induction if it disrupts your sleep patterns...but I'd like to know why it's happening and whether I can do anything about it besides moving to OWL.

Has anyone else had sleep problems on a LC diet? WHat do you think I should do?

Thanks!! :sunny:

agonycat Thu, May-30-02 08:24

Weird isn't it?

I know I went through this problem when I first started. When the fat burning kicked in I was bouncing off walls until 1 or 2 am. I think it took about a month to finally settle down to where I did actually start sleeping at night :)

I think it has to do with detoxing your system and having an unlimited supply of energy to burn. Your system gets so happy it isn't starving to death it revs up full blast. :lol:

I know before I started this WOL I would get so tired and fall asleep on the couch after eating a high carby meal. Now after eating I am ready to go, go, go.

Hang in there ;) It may take a month or so for your body to settle down into it's new found resource. If you find that not sleeping at night is starting to effect you then add a few more carbs into your diet in order to offset.

Elihnig Thu, May-30-02 08:50

Calcium Magnesium supplements also help some people get to sleep better.

Sleep Question

Here is a post that asks the same question.

I've found I sleep much better with my calcium magnesium supplement!

Elihnig

Lisa N Thu, May-30-02 16:37

Another thing you could try is some Chamomile tea about an hour before bed. I got my dad started on this after my mom passed away and he had trouble sleeping and now he swears by it. This seems to be fairly common, though, as I know several people who experienced the same thing.

Jinkster Fri, May-31-02 07:19

Thanks so much

Hi again,
Thanks so much for your responses. I will go out and get magnesium supplements - I didn't realize calcium with D wasn't enough :)

Good luck to everyone on their respective new WOLs. I am definitely going to treat this as a change in the way I live rather than a diet - I think it's teh only way to do it right :thup:

See y'all around the boards!
Petra

carly Tue, Jun-04-02 08:57

I am having the same problem. I was thinking it was a carb problem because of the seratonin. I was put on Serzone by my doc for sleeping problems before. Recently went off and started this lc wol. I was wondering if the loss of the carbs took down your seratonin production even more. If so I will never sleep again! :o

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Carly

mythreeson Wed, Jun-05-02 19:43

i dont have a problem staying asleep except for the million times i am up to the bathroom nightly but gotta love that water.

carly Thu, Jun-06-02 10:02

Staying asleep is not a problem, getting to sleep is! Man oh man am I a bear in the morning. I have lots of energy during the day, maybe it is too much? I used to fall asleep helping my kids with their homework before LCing, now I can't find enough things to keep me occupied. Go figure.............
Carly