Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   question for the ladies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=92288)

geel Thu, Mar-13-03 19:15

question for the ladies

Hi I posted a ? on general health today but no response. It dealt with PMS and breast pain(in both breasts) that I am currently experiencing, expecting TOM sometime next week. I've done some searching around this site and I've drawn this conclusion. (Please correct me if I am wrong ). Low Carbing causes a increase in the amount of estrogen in to ones system possibly causing PMS symptoms to be even more promanant , (or less if your lucky) until ones body learns to adjust to this new level of estrogen. Then things should return to normal. I'd like to add that besides the PMS. I am healthy had a slew of tests to prove it last summer, Doc even said so! :D Too heavy but healthy :rolleyes: So what's all this excessive PMSing about? and will it settle down? It's going to have too because I can't be a loon :daze: 3 weeks out of 4 every month! My kids and hubby wont have it nor will I! :help: Ellen

Lisa N Thu, Mar-13-03 19:34

Hi Ellen!

What happens is that Estrogen is often stored in fat and when the fat is released, so is the extra Estrogen. That can cause a whole array of symptoms from extra PMS symptoms to earlier or more frequent periods. Yes, it does settle down as weight loss slows and your body adjusts. Many women actually report that their PMS symptoms are much less severe while following low carb.
From my own experience, I always experience breast tenderness as soon as I ovulate and it doesn't go away until my period begins. Funny enough, that was how I knew I was pregnant (after the first time)...the tenderness was always worse when I was pregnant.

AmyTN Thu, Mar-13-03 19:37

My breasts do get sensitive before my TOM, but I haven't noticed the low carb making it any worse. I've heard evening primrose oil can help with the symptoms of PMS, including but not limited to breast tenderness. My friend uses the oil, and swears by it. Vitamin B-6 my also help, but take no more than 200mg daily and divide the doses into 50mg at a time- it helps produce progesterone which balances out the excess estrogen. These are 2 natural treatments you could try to help you with your battle against PMS. It's worth a try anyhow. Hope it helps. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

OzzyBabe88 Fri, Mar-14-03 00:07

I have no idea why it happens but I experience the same thing from time to time. I had tenderness before I started Atkins and sometimes I still do. I've found being on the pill lessens the effects of PMS for me. I use Pamprin when things get out of control.

DDMariana Fri, Mar-14-03 01:26

Didn't know that... hmmm... learn something new every day around here!

:wave:

geel Fri, Mar-14-03 07:41

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I guess with the rather quick loss of weight (most in first 2 weeks) this happening was definately a possibility. Just hopes it get better. Thanks again! :roll: Ellen

freydis Fri, Mar-14-03 18:20

I'm taking evening primrose oil and have seen a moderate amount of improvement, but not dramatic. It might be worth trying.