Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hershey's SF Chocolates (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=94515)

Tiggerdy Tue, Mar-25-03 15:53

Hershey's SF Chocolates

I was wondering about the new sugar free products (Reese's PB Cups, Mini light & dark chocolate bars) that Hersey's has come out with. I had some of the SF Reese's PB Cups and thought I had died and gone to heaven. However, I endulged in this 'guilty' pleasure w/out fully knowing what their sweetener/additive was. :rolleyes: Has anyone else seen these? If so, what are your thoughts?

I should have checked these things more thoroughly before I ate them, but I was sooooo tempted. Blasted cravings. :mad:

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

PS- I couldn't find anything about these new products on their website. :rolleyes:

Skamito Tue, Mar-25-03 16:22

oh NO! This is going to be the death of me. Do the Reese's really taste like Reese's? Oh mee oh my.

I'll bet you my savings account that it's maltitol, which we know is a YMMV thing. I will unfortunately be on the lookout for these devils in disguise. :devil:

NOoooooo! :)

Nutri-nut Tue, Mar-25-03 17:11

I don't know about the Hershey's sugar free candy, but I have tried to Russell Stover sugar free candies (peanut butter cups, mint patties, and Turtles). I was disappointed to discover after reading the nutrition information that these products still have carbs! And, worse of all, they contain hydrogenated oils - an Atkins' no-no.

szar Tue, Mar-25-03 17:12

Actually it's not maltitol.... I don't remember exactly what it is but I will look when I get home. They are very good, but the sugar alcohol they are using probably does have the same effect that maltitol does.

PS.. They PB cups taste very much like a full sugar PB cup....

Mark

IslandGirl Tue, Mar-25-03 18:52

Any news?

The only sugarfree listed on the Hershey's website at www.hersheys.com (so far) is the Jolly Rancher hard candy.

An ingredient list (it's on every package) would be really really nice to have here ..... :D

szar Tue, Mar-25-03 20:31

Hi Island Girl

It is lactitol..

The ingredients on the package are:

Reese sugar free peanut butter cups:
lactitol, peanuts, chocolate, cocoa butter, cornstarch, peanut oil, milkfat, contains less than 2% of polydextrose, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, salt, cream, soy lecithin, and pgpr, as emulsifiers, natural and artificial flavor, tbhq, a preservative, and sucralose.

Nutition facts:
serving 5 pieces
calories 170 from fat 110
total fat 12g
cholesterol less than 5mg
sodium 125mg
total carb 25g
figer 1g
sugar 0g
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2g

sugar free hersheys with almonds:
lactitol, chocolate, cocoa butter, almonds, cream, polydextrose, milkfat, containse less than 2% of soy lecithin, and PGPR as emulsifiers, vanillin, an artificial flavor, and sucralose.

Nutririon facts:
servin 5 pieces
calories 180, from fat 130
total fat 14g, sat 7g
cholesterol 5mg
sodium 10mg
Total carb 23g
fiber 3g
sugars 0
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2 g

Hope this helps....

Mark

IslandGirl Wed, Mar-26-03 02:10

You're a gem, Mark, and thank you.

That's excellent information, and hey, it's nice to see a Yuper here!

"If they don't find you handsome, they should find you handy" :D {Red Green}

rebsee Wed, Mar-26-03 03:32

We don't have them in the UK yet :( and I love Reeses PB cups and Pieces and Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme bars and all that :(

Can't wait for them to be released here, if they ever will be!

BeccaResRN Wed, Mar-26-03 04:55

Wow

I haven't seen these yet but I am going to be on the look out...and Mark is that right you get 5 peices? are they smaller than normal Reeces cups?

This could be the best thing since Le CArb low carb frozen ice cream that they sell at Walmart here...mmm

Tiggerdy Wed, Mar-26-03 11:06

They are about the same size as the mini Reese's PB cups and they taste sooooooo darn close to the full sugar ones it almost feels like cheating!!! BTW- I bought mine at Walgreens.

Thanks for all the info Mark!! I threw the dang wrapper away before I thought about asking the forum about them. :rolleyes:

I can't have these little :devil: things all the time, but they're nice for a treat and I don't have the nasty reaction that I had when I tried 2 of the Russell Stover SF Turtles. Not fun.

Thanks guys and happy LCing!!

CarolynC Sun, Mar-30-03 15:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerdy
I can't have these little :devil: things all the time, but they're nice for a treat and I don't have the nasty reaction that I had when I tried 2 of the Russell Stover SF Turtles.

This is definitely a Your Mileage May Vary thing. The SF Russell Stover chocolates, which are sweetened with maltitol, don't give me any gastric distress. The SF Reeses peanut butter cups, which are sweetened with lactitol, give me great gastic distress. Dietwise, maybe this is for the best for me because those Reese cups tasted very good and could have been addicting if they hadn't made my tummy so miserable.

DarkLotus Sun, Mar-30-03 15:28

I had 3 of the mini Hershey bars and 2 of the PB cups last night. I figured it was Saturday, if they made me sick, I had time to deal with it! :p They didn't make my stomach sick at all, like maltitol does. They taste great, hard to stop at a few pieces though. I found mine at the grocery store, I wasn't even looking for them, they had a display and I said "ooooooh, gotta try these!" Yum!

secret Sun, Mar-30-03 17:30

Just want to get something straight.

Nutition facts:
serving 5 pieces
total fat 12g
sodium 125mg
total carb 25g
figer 1g
sugar 0g
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2g

So total net carbs would be 5.

You take the Total Carb minus the fiber and sugar alcohol, right?

Also where are you guys buying this stuff? I live in a major city and have not seen these anywhere.

Tiggerdy Sun, Mar-30-03 20:16

That's how it works! But a word of warning, like CarolynC mentioned, these goodies are a YMMV kinda thing. They may or may not have an effect on your blood sugar/digestive system and they can (and do) cause stalls in some people. It's basically a 'try and see' experiment to determine whether or not you're affected.

As for where to find them, I purchased mine at Walgreen's drug store (I'm in NW Indiana- approx. 45 min. outside of Chicago). I have yet to see them in any other stores around (ie- Wal-Mart, Jewel/Albertson's, K-Mart, etc.).

HTH-

IslandGirl Sun, Mar-30-03 21:54

Quote:
Originally posted by secret
Nutition facts:
serving 5 pieces
total fat 12g
sodium 125mg
total carb 25g
fiber 1g
sugar 0g
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2g

So total net carbs would be 5. You take the Total Carb minus the fiber and sugar alcohol, right?

Depends on the method you choose. SOME people deduct Sugar Alcohol carbs in their entirety (and they may not be sensitive to them in any way), others count them in full (they have demonstrable blood sugar rises after sugar alcohol ingestion), many - like me - use the Hidden Carbs Inspector to calculate 'net' or 'effective' carbs based on the calorie value, the theory being that fat grams provide ~9calories/gram, protein grams provide ~4calories/gram and that leaves EFFECTIVE carbs at ~4 calories per gram.

Easy: total calories minus 4 times protein grams minus 9 times fat grams equals leftover calories, divide that by 4 and you get EFFECTIVE carbohydrate grams.

See the Hidden Carbs Inspector quick link over on the right of your screen if you want to do a fast and easy version of this with really detailed numbers.

There's LOTS of discussion here in the Products forum about Hidden Carbs and Sugar Alcohols, and some excellent articles you can read from the orange menu bar above, select TIPS.

Enjoy.

VickyRenee Sun, Mar-30-03 21:55

I bought mine last night at Walmart. They just got them in. They are absolutely wonderful!!! The Reeses PB taste just like the originals!!
I did a hidden carb test on them and on the Reese's PB mini-cups come out to 2.89 carbs per peice. On the hershey's reg chocolate they come out to 2.6 carbs per piece. Any time I decide to eat sugar alcohols I do the hidden carb test and go by those figures. After testing my blood sugar the other day and eating the sugar alcohol raised my blood sugar by 20 points, I decided to be careful with them.

VickyRenee Sun, Mar-30-03 23:05

OK, UPDATE.......

I decided to check my blood sugar after posting the last message out of curiosity because of the different sugar alcohol lactitol.....since I've always had malitol. Well, at 10:20pm my blood sugar was 82. I ate 4 pieces of the Reese's PB cups and checked again at 10:54....it read 74!!!
That (I hope) is telling me that Lactitol does not affect my blood sugar.
When I eat Malitol, it raises my blood sugar 20-30 points depending on how many grams are in there.
I am just borrowing my friends glucometer this weekend to do some testing like this. So, I dont know a whole lot about blood sugar ( I found out quite a bit though this weekend doing all of this)...but I hope this is true and it DOES mean that Lactitol does not affect me.
I am gonna test again in another 20 mins.
Vicky

theresa113 Mon, Mar-31-03 10:22

I haven't had these yet. My best friend who is also on Atkins bought some over the weekend. They had a VERY STRONG LAXITIVE effect on her which has scared me away. :(

Tiggerdy Mon, Mar-31-03 11:01

Dems da breaks w/YMMV foods, unfortunately. I can have these, but can't touch the Russell Stover chocolates. You could always do what DarkLotus did and try them over the weekend at home while you have plenty of time to see how they affect you.

Just a thought...

BrenSumner Wed, Apr-02-03 20:37

I haven't seen these around.. but sucrolose is splenda, so the sugar alcohols must be added for texture?

I guess you just have to experiment to see what effects you and what doesn't. Great idea to test your sugar though.

secret Sat, Apr-05-03 18:53

I bought them today and the Heshey's chocolate is ok. It is the best low carb chocolate I have tasted so far.

But the PB cups to me tasted exactly the same as the regular ones.

I also found Nestle Sugar Free Signatures. I bought the turtle and they are very good. 2 net carbs according to the lable for 3 pieces.

DarkLotus Sat, Apr-05-03 20:14

Second time around didn't go over well with me or my boyfriend. We both ate a few pieces Friday night, we needed gas masks! So, we ate em once fine, second time made us sick. Weird.

Mjsturg1 Mon, Apr-07-03 13:44

I tried the PB cups and they were excellent and made me a little gassy about 4 hrs later but no where near the effect of malitol in me though. I also tried the chocolate bars and they weren't as good as I was hoping they'd be but will do in a pinch I suppose !!

I am glad to see that more companies are making sugar free stuff !! It's about time.

oldrade Sun, Apr-13-03 17:38

Hershey's Sugar Free

I hope this thread is ok here cause I was so excited that I thought everyone would want to know. I went to CostCo-a chain warehouse store in Georgia and found Hershey's SugarFree candies. It is a box of mini assorted candies with mini Chocolate Bars, Mini Chocolate bars with almonds, mini Dark chocolate bars, and peanut butter cups. My non LC BF tried and actually went "holy **, these taste the same, there is NO difference". Really they are great. The sugar "substitute" is Lacitol and it also contains Sucralose(Splenda). 5 candy pieces have 24 Total carbs, 2 dietary Fiber, 0 sugars, 20 lactitol and 170 total calories. Wow these are GREAT and since they are made by hershey most people, at least in America, should be able to get them. As always that lacitol is YMMV but WOW im excited.

Oldrade

violet Sun, Apr-13-03 18:40

Yes, they are delicious. I gained weight eating them, plus I had the usual gastrointestinal distress that accompanies the sf products. Sigh. Maybe because I couldn't eat just one, or even just three. LOL I am back on Induction.

sharann Tue, Apr-15-03 18:51

You know, when I really crave chocolate and PB I have a few of the PB Cups, taste marvelous,,horrid for my tummy!

KTiki Wed, Apr-16-03 17:25

Hmmm, wonder what the effective carb count is? After you take away the fiber, and unabsorbed carb counts. 25 carbs is too much to spend on a bit of chocolate. Russel Stover makes a sugar free chocolate, too, but the carb counts are still too high. Ross chocolates makes 1.2 ounce ( for the dark) bars that range in carb counts of 1 to 31/2 for the whole bar. They get that after eliminating the carbs that your body won't absorb. And, they are really good, too....come in dark, milk, mint, orange, raspberry, coconut and cherry chocolate. and white chocolate,too. Haven't seen any other flavors ....they are a product of Cananda, but called Belgiane. I haven't had any ill effects yet and I've been eating them for months.

Daethian Wed, Apr-16-03 18:28

Sugar Free Hershey's bars

and Reese's peanut butter cups are now available in my area!
Cheaper than Russell Stover's and 4 carbs per bite size bar. Which gives me a alternative for my PMS cravings

Tiggerdy Thu, Apr-17-03 14:27

Since all these goodies are made w/some type of sugar alcohol, maltitol, lactitol, etc., they really are YMMV. I can get away w/eating a few servings a week w/out disrupting my losses (although some of the intestinal results are less than desirable). So, in my case, the SF Hershey's have minimal carb counts (2-3 approx. per serving).

Ah, the trials and tribulations of finding SF, LC friendly treats...

Lessara Sat, Apr-19-03 06:50

Hi

I have a question: My roommate bought two bags of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and I was wondering how many of the little cups you ate before getting the laxitive effect? One? Five? My roommate misses candy alot and I'm alittle worried he'll be bathroom bound if he isn't careful. Thanks.