Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   fitday.com (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90842)

red1cutie Thu, Mar-06-03 09:07

fitday.com

Is it possible to get fitday.com to measure my veggies in ounces instead of cups?

Please help
red :help:

Skamito Thu, Mar-06-03 09:10

I could be wrong, but generally 8oz = 1 cup. Therefore you can just divide accordingly. 2oz is .25 cup, etc. It's a little annoying, but this should be accurate.

:)

JosephNYC Thu, Mar-06-03 09:53

Fluid/volume measurement: 8 ounces = 1 cup

Weight measurement: 16 ounces = 1 lbs.

Density variations make the two unrelated. E.g., beef has far more weight ounces per volume ounces than whipped cream does.

It's a great system (;-)

red1cutie Thu, Mar-06-03 09:59

Thanks Skamito and Joseph!

Yeah thats what I mean. 2 cups of veggies on Atkins is not 16 ounces. We should all write to fitday and tell them to add ounces because that's more accurate. How hard could it be to add ounces?

red

JosephNYC Thu, Mar-06-03 10:09

The ambiguity is removed when you use cups, pounds, grams, etc.

I would sooner eliminate the ambiguity and do the conversion, rather than have to be unsure of whether I can eat 8 fluid or weight ounces of something.

red1cutie Thu, Mar-06-03 10:14

I have a food scale that weighs increments of 2 ounces. I prefer to use a scale for veggies and cups/tablespoons for cream, olive oil, etc. I feel more confident about the servings.

red

JosephNYC Thu, Mar-06-03 10:42

Makes sense.

How do you convert from x ounces of veggies to cups?

Unfortunately, the books prescribes 2 or 3 cupes of salad/veggies. That confused me and I immediately began looking for the more dense veggies (so get more of them in the same volume) (;-)

Auntie J Thu, Mar-06-03 10:56

Fitday.com

I think I just scared myself :confused: I went to fitday & entered all the info on what I ate for breakfast, why does my can of Keto hot cereal say "3ecc", when fitday says 12, they don't deduct the fiber! I thought I was making more sense of this thing & now I'm totally baffled :bash: According to them I had way more than I thought---I'm getting a headache. Help!!! Can somebody give me a simple rundown on this?? I refuse to give up, I really want to do this right, it is getting close to frantic time tho, a stall is really messing with my mind(what there is left of it) :daze: I have to walk away, go to the store, just get out of the house for a while---things usually look better with a little distance. TIA!

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Mar-06-03 11:09

In using fitday, I like to plug in my own foods whenever possible. I don't bother with veggies, but other things, I found that when I plug them in as custom foods (I always include hidden carb counts), the nutritional breakdown is almost always different than the preloaded foods. That makes a big difference in daily carb counts! I also subtract fibers from my carbs :) Just subtract the fiber grams from the total carb grams up top where it breaks them down for you!

red1cutie Thu, Mar-06-03 11:41

Another question....seems silly but here goes... I want to be sure.

How much is 2 ozs of pepperoni in cups? Please help.

red

JosephNYC Thu, Mar-06-03 12:27

That's the 64 lbs question!

I'm sure none of us knows the actual density of all the different foods we eat, and without knowing that (or the actual conversion), there's no way to convert from a volume measurement (fluid ounces, cups, etc.) to a weight measurement (ounces, pounds, grams).

So, one of my little peeves so far is that there isn't a standard way to measure.

To try to answer your question a little more directly: I would suggest taking those 2 ozs of pepperoni and putting it in a 1 cup measuring cup (perhaps chop the pepperoni into tiny pieces, or shed it just for this purpose) and then you'll know, from then on, the conversion between weight and volume (but ONLY for pepperponi in that form).

reese Thu, Mar-06-03 13:21

this is why I don't use fitday

I have a carb & calorie counting book that has every kind of food in every kind of portion you could think of and I keep track of it all in a spiral notebook.

jplush76 Thu, Mar-06-03 13:34

I signed up on fitday but didn't see any Atkins products.
I've been having a couple atkins muffins for breakfast lately, how do I input those? :(

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Mar-06-03 13:48

On your fitday food page, the part that says new custom food on the last pulldown menu, click that and enter all the information!

lucky1 Thu, Mar-06-03 13:54

Fitday and sugar alcohol products

While we're on the Fitday.com subject, has anyone figured out how to enter products with maltitol or other sugar alcohols? I know a lot of people don't use sugar alcohols, but I'd like to have them in a pinch.

When I try to input a product with sugar alcohols, there is no way to make Fitday not count the carbs in the sugar alcohol. Therefore I have to choose between Fitday listing WAY high carbs (that aren't the effective carbs) or I need to try to trick Fitday by adding protein and fat that's not really there to make the # of grams fat, protein, and carbs add up to the calories in the product. I'm not saying it very clearly, but anyone who's tried to do this on fitday will (I hope) know what I mean.

Any suggestions out there?

red1cutie Thu, Mar-06-03 13:56

The pepperoni package does not have any information other than ingredients.

red :help:

Skamito Thu, Mar-06-03 13:58

I put the maltitol in as fiber. That usually does the trick.

:)

JosephNYC Thu, Mar-06-03 14:00

Red,

Not sure this is on target, but you don't need the ingredient to know how many (weight) ounces per fluid cup. And, if you know how many grams of carbs in so many weight ounces, you could then calculate how many grams of carbs in a fluid ounce (or cup).

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Mar-06-03 14:15

Hormel Pepperonis are 140 calories per 14 slices (28g). I think the Armour Pepperonis are pretty similar to that count, but I can't remember right off the bat.