Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Calgary Low Carb Ladies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=82473)

Digitalgrl Mon, Jan-27-03 09:27

Calgary Low Carb Ladies

1 Attachment(s)
Here we are having coffee in Calgary, AB.

It was great meeting everyone! Thanks for Jan
for bringing the camera.

Jan C Mon, Jan-27-03 11:55

Calgary low carb group photo

Andrea,

Thanks for posting the photo.

If anyone is wondering who is who: from left to right
Andrea (digitalgirl), Janiceb, Janice, Shantal (dewdrop), Jan.

It was great seeing old faces again and meeting new ones. Hope we can keep in touch.

If there are any other Calgarians out there who would like to join us next time, just post in my journal and we'll let you know.

Jan

heather06 Tue, Jan-28-03 14:23

great picture

Hi everyone, sure wish I could have made it to the coffee meeting!! What a laugh I had seeing that picture...there is more WATER on the table than coffee!!! Hope the next one I can come!
Heather

n0ah Tue, Jan-28-03 19:03

Coffee or Water

Hello All!

As Heather mentioned, more water than coffee! That's the wisest way to go! :) Maybe hot chocolate will be on the menu for the next gatherin...:)....just kiddin'! (Marshmallows, too? :))

I hope to arrive for the next coffee meet. Meanwhile, I'll stay indoors and keep away from the chill!

Everyone keep warm!

~~~smilin' atcha'~~~
n0ah :wave:

Betti Thu, Jan-30-03 16:26

Calgary low carber

Hey, I'd like to take part in this low carb group of Calgarians...what do you have planned next?

n0ah Thu, Jan-30-03 17:35

Welcome!

Hi Betti! :)

Welcome to this forum. I'm very new here too. There is a lot of information available at this site. It's great.

You are doin' fantastic with your nutritional approach...77% weight loss.... :thup: Go girl :exclm:

Happy New Year 2003!

Many Blessings

Janice Thu, Jan-30-03 18:35

Many thanks!

Thanks to JanC for bringing the camera, thanks to Andrea, you digitalgrl, for posting it, and thanks especially to the geeky guy who took the picture (and I believe was eavesdropping on our conversation!). He made us all look thin!

Janice

Jan C Thu, Jan-30-03 22:06

Hi Calgary Low Carbers, :wave:

I don't think a date was set for the next get together (I had to leave early at the last one). If anyone else would like to arrange another coffee date in a month or two that would be great. It would be nice to see a few new additions to our group.

Happy low-carbing! :)

Jan

n0ah Fri, Jan-31-03 14:13

Howdy!

Hello to All! :)

Just a quick note to mention that I found some gummy candies at Shoppers Drug Mart located at 15th Ave. and 8th St. S. W. ~ very inexpensive at $1.49 a pkg. (Sweetened with maltitol)

Anyone found a low carb pasta yet?

Have a great weekend, everyone! Enjoy our lovely Chinook winds!

Many Blessings

Janice Fri, Jan-31-03 15:01

Argh!

I don't know about you other Cagarians, but these Chinook winds give me a splitting headache!!

Janice

Betti Fri, Jan-31-03 17:19

Low carb pasta can be found at Diabetic depot on 37th Street (in a strip mall) They carry Keto products, DaVinci, LaTortilla, Carbsense, Atkins, Expert foods, Delite bars...check them out!

Betty

n0ah Fri, Jan-31-03 17:59

Thanks Betti! :)

Hi Betti!

You are a Darlin' :)

I just called the Diabetic depot and will go there tomorrow to explore.

Pasta! What a joy!! :thup:

Thanks so much!

Have a good weekend!

Many Blessings

Jan C Fri, Jan-31-03 22:31

Betti,

Thanks for the tip about the Diabetic depot. I didn't even know there was such a place. I will have to check it out. Is it 37th Street SW? Which strip mall?

Jan

Betti Fri, Jan-31-03 23:45

Jan C,

I don't know the address but when I'm driving north on 37th st Sw from Glenmore Trail, it is on my right before I hit Richmond road.
Hope that helps!

Betty

Jan C Sat, Feb-01-03 16:20

Betty,

Yes I know where that is. Thanks!

Jan

Betti Sat, Feb-01-03 16:59

I was just in Diabetic Depot today, and they have not got their orders of Keto or LaTortilla in yet. So for whomever was looking for the low carb pasta, it is coming any day now. LaTortilla is to be in by Feb 4.
They did have a ton of new flavors in the DaVinci...I think I have 14 flavors at home now!
Their Atkins bars are only $2.48! They carry every flavor! That's the cheapest I've seen them. Morning Sun/Golden Sun carries them for $2.99, Nutrition house in Southcentre's are $3.49, and GNC is $4.95!
For anyone who want's to call them about their product before going there, call 685-4010. Brenda is the owner and is really helpful. She will order things in for you too.

Betty

heather06 Sat, Feb-01-03 18:42

I went to Diabetic Depot today. Bought Davincci syrup (chocolate) and Ross bars (of course!! $1.75!) and also some flax seed flower. The prices are very reasonable. I spoke with the lady at the counter, she is Brenda's mother, and I told her I would love to see some cola's flavored with sucralose. (Diet Rite) I left my phone number with her, I hope she calls me. It is a small store just starting up, and the mother was so happy to hear we are already talking about it. I told her I would be a loyal customer, in spite of the drive! (I live in McKenzie Towne, its on 37th SW, about 20 minute drive) They have all sorts of things you wouldn't even think of! No Keto stuff yet, and I forgot to ask when it will be in...but...oh...pasta....I can hardly wait! They also have "Ciliac flour" which is great if you have gluten (I think it's gluten) intollerances. And soy flower. Check it out.

n0ah Sat, Feb-01-03 19:17

Hi All! :)

I did go to the Diabetic Depot today... on a hunt for pasta...but without any luck :(.

Thanks for the info that the pasta will arrive on the 4th. I did notice the Rice pasta but didn't purchase any.

Great idea about the soft drinks! I would appreciate the chance to try them. :thup:

I notified my local liquor store today that, as my husband has diabetes, I'd appreciate it if they carried Michelob Ultra which is extremely low carb. Reviews have been varied about the taste of the brew. However, it would be nice to have the opportunity to introduce my hubby to a brew that would be kinder to his body. The Assistant Mgr. is investigatin' this for me so I'll post his findins' as I receive them.

Enjoy the warm day? :) (Flurries later! :)))

Many Blessings!

Betti Sat, Feb-01-03 19:20

Heather...We're neighbors! I'm in McKenzie Lake.

I am sorry...I bought the last Cola DaVinci syrup this morning! I love their syrups to put into club soda. I hope you bought the white chocolate as I don't care for the regular chocolate. The white chocolate I could drink straight out of the bottle!

Next time let's car pool to our new favorite store! Brenda e-mails me whenever she get's the new stuff in...so I'll keep you posted.

Betty

heather06 Sat, Feb-01-03 20:24

UH OH!

I bought the regular chocolate...haven't tried it yet, tho. For $10 bucks it better be good!

Thanks for the heads up, tho...it took me about 10 minutes to decide which one to buy...and I guess I chose wrong! lol...it figures!

Heather

Betti Sat, Feb-01-03 22:45

Heather,

Call them on monday and see if they'll do an exchange...trust me, you won't regret it!

Betty

Jan C Sat, Feb-01-03 23:00

Betty,

What other things can you do with DaVinci syrup besides put it in Cub soda? If you have 14 flavours it must be good stuff! I will have to go there after Feb. 4 because I would like to try the LaTortilla's.

Jan

Betti Sat, Feb-01-03 23:14

Jan C,
They are great for baking! I made a cheesecake at Christmas, and to keep the carbs down, I only added DaVinci syrups as sweetener. I mixed Carmel, Hazelnut and french vanilla, it was very good, and no carbs from sugar! I use the pancake flavor for pancake syrup (after I heard that Atkins has DaVinci make their syrups, I no longer will pay $10 for their tiny bottle of maple syrup) I use them to flavor my low carb muffins. I have made Chai spice, banana, lemon poppyseed (I just used the french vanilla for that) I love the vanilla for sweetening whipping cream to put on crepe's. I am waiting for blueberry...more muffins and cheesecake, I can always find a million uses for them. White chocolate in mascarpone cheese is amazing as a dessert! I have made homemade jello using syrup, water and gelatin. Of course there's always coffee too...
Betty

zoning_it Sat, Feb-01-03 23:43

Yay! low carb pasta...

Hi everybody! It's so good to hear that Calgary has a place to buy low-carb pasta!!! I've looked around Calgary and have found quite a few places where they sell atkins bars, syrups and bake mix, but they're quite pricy. I was previously trying induction, but after a week I gave it up. I think that I will try a different route; I've been reading up on the the Zone and I think it's a more realistic plan to go by. It's similar (emphasizing non-processed foods, healthy active lifestyle, etc) but seems to be a bit more leanient on no strictly not allowed foods... anyways, thanks for the heads up on the pasta!

heather06 Sat, Feb-01-03 23:58

TOO LATE...I opened it to smell it as soon as I got home. (I know it's wierd, but I smell everything, I've done it since I was a kid). I tried it in a glass of soy milk, it didn't taste too bad to me. If it wasn't for the soy milk it would be excellent. (LOL) Will try it in my shake later, my "snack".

Janiceb Sun, Feb-02-03 01:09

Hi everyone, lots going on over here. Love the pic, the geek made us all look fabulous but then again... he had alot to work with. Do we look like happy low carbers or what! :D

Thanks for the heads up on the new store, I'm definitely going to go and check it out.

Looking forward to our next coffee date. Jan C and I pm'd each other earlier in the week and thought it might be easier to just pick a regular monthly date and a location and set that as our "coffee date", whomever shows, shows. What does everyone think about that?

:wave:

Digitalgrl Mon, Feb-03-03 09:29

sounds good

That sounds good to me about meeting monthly.

I'd really like to try those Keto Chips, I hear they're pretty darn tastey. I'll have to check out the Diabetic Depot myself, I am sure with all of us going there business will be booming and they can bring in more products!

heather06 Mon, Feb-03-03 21:21

Well, its a :thup: from me on the chocolate DaVinci, I put it in my shakes and it tastes good to me, and it means no wasting carbs on splenda. But I will try the cola flavor next time, I will be going there again Friday. Brenda called me today but I will have to call her back tomorrow as I was in bed with (yet another) migraine today. She told me (on my machine) that Diet Rite is impossible to get here. She also said other things that I can't remember to to the fact that I felt like someone was kicking me in the head. This weather is killing me. Not to mention the stress of work lately. Ah, such is life!
Heather
PS-Hope I can make the next coffee! Would sure like to meet all you ladies.

heather06 Mon, Feb-03-03 21:21

Well, its a :thup: from me on the chocolate DaVinci, I put it in my shakes and it tastes good to me, and it means no wasting carbs on splenda. But I will try the cola flavor next time, I will be going there again Friday. Brenda called me today but I will have to call her back tomorrow as I was in bed with (yet another) migraine today. She told me (on my machine) that Diet Rite is impossible to get here. She also said other things that I can't remember to to the fact that I felt like someone was kicking me in the head. This weather is killing me. Not to mention the stress of work lately. Ah, such is life!
Heather
PS-Hope I can make the next coffee! Would sure like to meet all you ladies.

heather06 Mon, Feb-03-03 21:23

Pressed submit twice...sorry ladies :blush: