Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Ground flax seeds (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80505)

Leigh b Wed, Jan-15-03 13:05

Ground flax seeds

Hello Everyone
Can anyone tell me where I can get some ground flax seeds (linseeds). My local health food shop does not have any.
Thanks Leigh :D

Cool4Cats Wed, Jan-15-03 13:39

Flax Seed

Hi from a new member

I get my Flax Seeds from Holland and Barret. They sell a few differant varieties but a prefere the yellow coloured ones.

Hope this helps. :roll:

Leigh b Thu, Jan-16-03 14:10

Cool 4cats
Thank you for your reply. It was Holland and Barrett that I went to and they did not have any (Not ground anyway). If you managed to get some then maybe they can order some for me. I shall give it another go. :spin:
Take care Leigh :)

Cool4Cats Fri, Jan-17-03 12:40

Hello again

If you can get the whole flax seed you could always grind it yourself. Just make sure you only grind the amount you need as it goes rancid within a few hours.

Good Luck
Dorne :thup:

flossie Sat, Feb-01-03 02:37

flax seed????

hi dorne and leigh

was just wondering what you use the flax seed for????

love april

Cool4Cats Sat, Feb-01-03 13:42

Hi Flossie

Flaxseed (linseed) is full of Phyto-nutrients which help to prevent cancers, including breast cancer, they are also a great source of omega-3 fatty acid.

I use flaxseed spinkled on my salad. You can use the oil but the seed gives you added fibre.

So get sprinkling

Cool4cats
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ZoneCoach Sun, Feb-02-03 00:00

Flax

Quote:
Originally posted by Cool4Cats
Just make sure you only grind the amount you need as it goes rancid within a few hours.
Dorne :thup:

It can lose it's flavor rather quickly, but does last longer than a few hours.
Note: You can not cook with flax oil
Flax oil is available with lignans, so if you prefer the oil, you'll also get the fiber benefit.
Seeds are certainly cheaper & grind up great in a coffee grinder.

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/ph_album6.htm

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/faq.htm

Leigh b Sun, Feb-02-03 08:04

Hello Everyone
Well i found a friend with a coffee grinder. I wanted the seeds to try this recipe (I have been looking for breakfast ideas);

Its like Oatmeal

3 tsp ground flax seeds
3 tsp TVP flakes
1/4 cup of water
1 tsp of sugar substitute
cinnamon
cream

Mix the flax and tvp, add the water and microwave for 1 min. Stir in the sugar, dust with cinnamon and pour on cream.

I used about 1/2 a tblsp of cream. You dont get much and i worked out that it would be 3.5 carbs, but i liked it. It was like oatmeal although it was a strange consistancy. I didnt want to buy a grinder in case i did not do it again. I have not thought of putting them on a salad :thup: Thanks for your comments. I did not realise that the seeds help reduce cancers :yay:
All the best with your low carbing Leigh :wave:

Grace Thu, Feb-19-04 05:20

Leigh, what is TVP flakes?

Leigh b Thu, Feb-19-04 09:32

Hello Grace
TVP is Textured Vegtable Protein.
It can be used as a substitute for meat, if you are a vegitarian. I used to make a yummy savoury mince with it ....Hope that answers your question. Take Care Leigh :)

LisaUK Thu, Feb-19-04 16:00

I make 'porridge' with flax seeds. It tastes like ready brek!
I think it's
3 tbs flax seeds (then grind them)
3 tbs vanilla soy protein isolate
1 tbs Splenda
1 cup boiling water

Mix dry stuff together, whisk in water stirring all the time. Whisk in vanilla extract or 1 tsp cocoa powder and enjoy! Good on a cold morning.

LittleAnne Fri, Feb-20-04 06:43

Hi Leigh

Great to see you around. I hope that you are well. Did you grind your flax seeds OK?

Grace Fri, Feb-20-04 08:09

Thanks Leigh and Lisa,
I tried the flax porridge cooked in the microwave for about 1 and a half minutes and added soya cream, splenda and vanilla essence and found surprisingly edible.

NigelF Fri, Feb-20-04 08:51

They are also good in bread recipes. I also use a coffee grinder to make it into a finer material depending on how seedy I want the bread.

Leigh b Fri, Feb-20-04 09:35

Hello LittleAnne
It is good to hear from you. To tell you the truth, i am having a break from dieting. I have been doing Atkins for 2 years and got to the point that i could not stand being resticted to certain foods any more. So i am trying the Leigh woe...using all of the information that i have learned over the years...being on various diets. Its working so far. Although if i do start to put wieght on, then i shall be straight on Atkins again, as it definately is the best way to lose wieght. I hope that you are ok and still enjoying eating the Atkins way. Take Care Leigh :)

Lizziemac Fri, Feb-27-04 17:31

Flax meal is also great mixed into yogurt with a little Da Vinci syrup for flavour.

respu Mon, Mar-01-04 03:22

I was originally reccommended linseeds to help with constipation in the first week of the atkins. Since then they have been sitting there doing nothing. They were nearly thrown away, luckily I found this place first.

I have tried linseeds ground up with black peppercorns to add flavour to salads as I am not a big fan of salad dressings. It worked better than I thought it would :D

ezandreth Tue, Mar-02-04 14:13

I eat the stuff for breakfast

I buy "Golden Linseed" from Julian Graves and grind about 50g at a time in a coffee grinder. Used to nuke it with milk but have given up dairy so now use just water. Not as nice but is edible. Was nicer also mixed half and half with ground almond from same shop, but a bit too high in carbs.
Might try mixing it with whey protein...
It does keep things regular, all that fibre is better than the psyllium husks I used to take, at least I think that's what it was called.
Julian Graves is pretty good if there's one near you. Bigger bags and cheaper than GNC and Holland and Barrett for all sorts of nuts, seeds and things.
Zan