Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Coffee (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=388733)

frisbena Mon, Jan-12-09 09:17

Coffee

Hi Everyone,

I have read Atkins NDR many times and I know I am not supposed to drink coffee but I am not sure I can give up my 1-2 cups a day. I am curious how many of the low carbers who have been at this awhile still drink coffee?

Thanks in advance :thup:

frisbena Mon, Jan-12-09 09:38

Opppps I think this should probably be in the Atkins thread since I am back at it but not really a newbie. Sorry!

mike_d Mon, Jan-12-09 09:39

This ? comes up all the time. In general most think it makes little or no difference. I have some coffee in the mornings or when I am fasting instead of a snack or a meal. I avoid tea at those times as it can stimulate hunger. YMMV as they say.

tommiec68 Mon, Jan-12-09 10:02

I drink coffee all day everyday. If I have water I put sugar free mix in it so I figure its all the same. Would it not count as water? The main ingredient is water.

Tammie

addict1000 Mon, Jan-12-09 10:15

I drink 2 huge cups of coffee every morning. It does not stall me at all.

DianeLuvsM Mon, Jan-12-09 10:20

I'm drinking some coffee right now, and I'm pretty sure coffee is all I'm going to drink today too. LOL
(It's my drink of choice in the winter.... even though I live in Miami. :lol: )

On average I'll have around 64oz (8 cups) of coffee per day. So far I haven't had any problems with my weight loss.

frisbena Mon, Jan-12-09 12:22

oh you guys made my day! Thanks :)

kasstout Tue, Jan-13-09 06:57

oh yeah, im a huge coffee drinker and i have had no issues with it. in fact, the heavy cream i use in it keeps me from eating a lot.

xjennjennx Tue, Jan-13-09 07:06

I drink at least a pot every day, sometimes more depending on how cold it is or how I'm feeling. It hasn't given me any problems at all.

anyway... Tue, Jan-13-09 07:16

Add me to the "tons of coffee not a problem" group.

Hairballz Tue, Jan-13-09 07:18

Ditto, drinking it right now. I have two large cups in the morning and usually that's it for the day, unless the lady in the office above me calls at mid-afternoon and says, "Coffee?" Then, like Pavlov, I go running to a third cup, but that's it. I simply CANNOT drink any past about 3pm or I won't sleep at all.

murphy1971 Tue, Jan-13-09 07:24

murphy1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbena
Hi Everyone,

I have read Atkins NDR many times and I know I am not supposed to drink coffee but I am not sure I can give up my 1-2 cups a day. I am curious how many of the low carbers who have been at this awhile still drink coffee?

Thanks in advance :thup:
enjoy your coffee,it is not a problem

tommiec68 Tue, Jan-13-09 08:29

You might say Im a coffe a holic. I fix a pot in the morning at home, half caf and drink 2-3 big cups while getting ready and then take a travel cup to drink on the way to work. First thing I do at work is make a pot. I was concerned because it is regular. Cafinee has never bothered me but I know its not good for me so I have been concerned. I had to get some things for the office yesterday, coffee being one of them, so I bought a brick of half caf and dumped it in the empty regular can. I am usually the only one who drinks it so why shouldn't I get what I want? They will never know the difference.

Tammie

lisacna Tue, Jan-13-09 08:32

I dont think coffee will make any difference in weight loss. I do think there are some people who get an insulin response from caffine which can make a person feel hungry. Caffine also hinders deep sleep. I am not ready to let go of my caffine addiction yet either,,dont let that stop you from staring your journey!

Mousesmom Tue, Jan-13-09 09:21

I love my coffee too.... I have 1-2 mugs in the morning and one in the afternoon if I am cold (frequently!!!).

The rest of the day I drink tea and water.

Julie

cvn69nva Tue, Jan-13-09 11:15

when i first did atkins, no problem with coffee.. then i started working in the 13th sector of hell and the amount of coffee went from 1 cup to 6 cups plus an energy drink. so i quit cold turkey over the christmas break.. i guess for me it was the amount of coffee i took in (which could kill a horse)...

daisywench Tue, Jan-13-09 12:03

I drink a large iced from Dunkin Donuts every morning, some days I'll have a cup of hot coffee around lunchtime. It's not a stall for me, either.

I also drink wine. Nightly. (shhhh)

tommiec68 Tue, Jan-13-09 12:05

Your secret is safe, we wont tell haha

Tammie