Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   How do you make drinkable green tea? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=383424)

amandawald Sun, Oct-05-08 15:07

How do you make drinkable green tea?

Hi there all you green tea drinkers!

I once tried some green tea in the form of some cheapo teabags from a discount supermarket and it was so yukky and bitter and vile that I chucked the blimmin' things away (which I hate doing, because one does NOT throw food out if it can still be used).

Can anybody give me any realistic tips about brewing a decent cuppa?

I have seen stuff about how the Japanese or Chinese do it with umpteen tea pots and Gordon Bennett knows what else, but I need a recipe for people (mum of 2 schoolkids, wife of one schoolteacher) who live in the real world!!!

Can anybody help me here???

Looking forward to reading your posts soon!

amanda

sexymommy2 Sun, Oct-05-08 15:14

I just started green tea, but I buy the Brenner tea bags from Aldis. They are cheap, thought that would be a place to start! I put the water in the mug and nuke it for 2 min., put the tea bag in and let it sit for another 2 min. I add coconut oil to my tea, but thats no dought another topic. Good luck finding a tea that you like!!

Ann1231 Sun, Oct-05-08 15:16

I make ..I think it's Lipton, green tea. I steep one tea bag in a cup for 3-5 minutes and I like that really well. If I want it cold, I steep two bags then pour in a large glass over ice.

Ann

Hutchinson Sun, Oct-05-08 16:03

I use cheapo leaf green tea leaves from my local Asian corner shop. £2.50 500g
I have a kettle that keeps the water just below the boil so I don't use boiling water.
I put a teaspoon of tea leave in a warmed pot, add the water just off the boil and allow to brew for a few minutes (not as long as brown tea with milk)
I have in the past used, ginger, lemon, herbs spices (cardamon) to ring the changes but now I've got used to green tea I just enjoy it as it is.
I think it is a taste you acquire and it does take a few weeks but stick with it. There are so many health benefits I really don't know where to start.
But it is both anti inflammatory and anti biotic, it also adds your natural photo protection ,boosts your metabolic rate and lowers your cancer risk.

amandawald Mon, Oct-06-08 01:58

Thanks for all the tips everybody! I'll read that stuff about green tea, too, so thanks for the link, Mr. Hutchinson!

I must confess that I have acquired a taste for filter coffee since living in Germany (i.e. for the last 20 years) and I think it's highly likely that I'm addicted to it to some degree or other.

What are your opinions about the dangers of coffee? Should I try and detox and get off the caffeine? I have drunk it every day, 2 cups in the morning and 1 or 2 in the afternoon, for 20 years, so it's difficult to imagine going without it.

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

amanda

tracyc1 Mon, Oct-06-08 15:55

You could try some oolong tea, it is quite similar to green tea and has the same benefits but may be easier for you to drink. I have a cup or 2 every night. I am lazy tho, 2 minutes in the microwave and toss the tea bag in!

tracyc1 Mon, Oct-06-08 15:59

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even consider giving up my coffee!!!! Couple cups can't be that bad, I drink it black so it is only the caffeine but I don't drink pop soooo........... Coffee addict 4 life!!!!

arc Tue, Oct-07-08 12:35

The thing with green tea is do not use boiling water and do not steep for more than three minutes (it gets really bitter if you do).

apple135 Fri, Oct-10-08 08:12

I too...cannot stomach regular green tea, However I love the flavored green teas. They are awesome! Lipton and celestial seasonings have some great flavors ,Orange passion fruit Jasmine, Honey lemon ginseng, Gogi berry pomegranate, are just a few that I have tried. I always have it as hot tea, not sure how it would be if it was used for cold drinks?

soapluvr Sat, Oct-11-08 09:24

I'd try a different brand. Might have to spend some money. Not all green tea tastes the same. Cheap green tea tastes like sh-t. I order from Stash Tea or Republic of Tea but I see that you are in europe so I don't really know what your options are there. And these two that I mentioned aren't the only ones. There are lots of different tea companies that make good green tea.

soapluvr Sat, Oct-11-08 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyc1
You could try some oolong tea, it is quite similar to green tea and has the same benefits but may be easier for you to drink. I have a cup or 2 every night. I am lazy tho, 2 minutes in the microwave and toss the tea bag in!

I love oolong tea even more than green tea. Not sure about the benefits though. It has them just not sure if it's as much as green tea since it's a little bit processed.

tracyc1 Sat, Oct-11-08 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I love oolong tea even more than green tea. Not sure about the benefits though. It has them just not sure if it's as much as green tea since it's a little bit processed.

I found this site that seems to explain well, I didn't know they actually came from the same plant. I think it may be one of those things that will differ from person to person.
http://www.learn-about-tea.com/green-tea.html

soapluvr Sat, Oct-11-08 16:00

oh yes the oxidizing reduces one and increases the other. I completely forgot about that. So really all tea is healthy. I really don't care for black tea but I went to my health food store this afternoon and they had this tea already brewed from Stash tea called pumpkin spice............delish!!!!! I plan on getting some of it. Its from black tea and has different spices added.

donnaliz67 Sun, Oct-12-08 19:57

I don't like to drink green tea hot - I only like it iced. My favorite way to drink it is to brew a mix of half green tea, and half mint herbal tea, and pour it over ice. Very refreshing, with or without a little squeeze of lime juice. (no sweetener of any kind)

I use the green tea bags from Trader Joe's.

isabellaky Sun, Oct-12-08 20:06

Try the green tea with mixed berries by Lipton. If you already have a stash of regular green tea, add some lemon juice to the tea. And I get green tea with raspberry at a local Dollar Zone store...very nice flavor.

amandawald Mon, Oct-13-08 13:24

Thanks for all the tips about brands and stuff, but, as it says in the heading of my posts, I'm a "Brit living in Germany". I think I have seen Lipton's tea over here, and, of course, Aldi, which another poster mentioned, is a German chain.

It was more the makingof it that I was interested in, so the tips - especially about not brewing it too long, and not using freshly boiled water - were nonetheless helpful.

I bought some organic green tea bags with lemon verbena and other lemony things added. I made my first cup today, didn't like the taste of it hot, so I added half a teaspoon of honey and have put it in the fridge to cool. I shall add a squirt of lemon juice and hope it's then palatable!!!

The things you do to try and stay healthy, hey???

amanda

cindy_cfid Thu, Nov-06-08 18:54

Why not make the tea you like but only use half the amount & use green tea as the other half? In my low fat days, I wanted to drink skim milk (versus full fat) but couldn't stand it. I took a gallon of full fat & cut it with a gallon of 2% & then cut that with skim until I could drink skim straight.