Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla's (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=37525)

goingfor60 Sun, Mar-17-02 17:23

La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla's

I recently purchased the whole wheat and the garlic and herb tortillas and I like them.

I made taco's which were good - I fried the tortillas and they browned nicely and held up when I filled them with my favorite things.

I also made quesadillas oh how I love them and they were also really good.

I like them both flavor wise equally and think that if I had skills to make any sort of wrap sandwich I would definately use these. They were cheap I paid I think $2.99 per bag and you get 10 in a bag.

The cool part is that they also give you the effective carb count - when I first looked at the bag it read as 12g of carbs :eek: and I said OMG I just ate 2 of them. Then I read further and they actually were 12g minus 9g of fiber so that left 3g total.

Any recipe ideas?

Shannon

Deirdre Sun, Mar-17-02 20:37

I bought a bunch of them once, I loved them but they're way too expensive to get here.

I used them as pizza crust, piled on tuna salad, chicken salad, roast beef and swiss cheese etc., (not all at once!) and rolled them up, made bean burritos using Eden Organic black soy beans, that's all I can think of right now.

IslandGirl Mon, Mar-18-02 13:48

I have made all of those things, wraps and quesadillas and the like, but the most fun thing I ever made with these is a Torta Rustica, an Italian type cheese and vegetable pie in many layers.

I used the tortillas on the bottom, sides, top and between layers, in a large springform pan. The layers were made of ricotta, parmesan, spinach and eggs. Garlic, nutmeg, fresh ground black pepper were the main seasonings.

Delicious and fun, and very suitable for a special family potluck. Everybody loved it, including me. Made 12 HEARTY servings. Used 4-5 tortillas total (can't remember how many layers I ended up with.

PS: these tortillas are available in Canada, check out the LowCarb Co-op forum, 1 package is very expensive but the discounts make them very do-able if more are bought at one time, which also spreads out in-Canada shipping costs... and the price hasn't changed despite the dollar fluctuations (ahem, DROPS) since last September.

duchesse Tue, Mar-19-02 18:26

Where do you buy them? I live in vancouver and I don't know where I can find them or if I have to order online.

IslandGirl Wed, Mar-20-02 10:06

Duchesse, as far as I know they are only available online or mail-order in Canada, through my tiny little company service, LowCarb FoodExperts Canada.

The LowCarb Co-op subforum in the LowCarb Products forum has more info, and you can just click on my logo below in the signature to go straight to the webpage...

DWRolfe Tue, Mar-26-02 15:31

Tortillas

Received mine today and looking forward to trying them...
...I ordered the garlic & herb variety and they sure smell great! Nice texture, too.

I think I'll use them for quesadillas for sure, and as the wrap for a sandwich they look perfect.

Donald

zoom Wed, Mar-27-02 02:26

I've been thinking about trying them out. DW do they taste as good as they smell?

sms1 Wed, Mar-27-02 02:39

I picked up a few packages of the wheat variety and I must say they are really good. I have used them as wraps for sandwiches, for LC tacos, and for pizza crusts.

I keep one pack in the fridge and a couple in the freezer for when I want something a little different.

fern2340 Wed, Mar-27-02 07:56

Where do you get these in the US? I am in PA and these sound excellent. Can you get them at a store or do they have a website?

Thanks!
Linda

DWRolfe Wed, Mar-27-02 08:38

He tried them...

and he loved them!

Yum! Made quesadillas with them last night...mexican cheese, chunks of grilled chicken, mushrooms, red pepper and scallions. brushed the tortillas with some olive oil and grilled them. Tasted excellent! :thup:

The texture is very good, smell is great and they're visually appealing. I'm looking forward to trying them for wrap sandwiches or as a pizza base.

Just FYI, I ate 3 with dinner (with salad) and that was plenty.

fern2340, you can order them online from netrician.com (click the link for LOW CARB MEGA STORE in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Super fast service (3 days) and everything I've ordered has been well packed.

Enjoy, everyone!

Donald :wave:

sms1 Wed, Mar-27-02 08:50

They are also available through Netrition.com

fern2340 Wed, Mar-27-02 08:57

Thank you both for the info! I think I'll go order some now!

B_J Wed, Mar-27-02 09:21

Whoa Donald, I just noticed your amazing results. I live in the same area as you do. I haven't posted enough to send you a PM but would love to chat with you about where you shop and what items you like to get. I think my email is listed in my profile. Drop me a line if you have the time.

Brian

DWRolfe Wed, Mar-27-02 09:28

Hey B_J...

Always happy to share information with others...
...but I didn't see your email address in your profile.

You can email me at

donald.rolfe~careermedia.com

Take care!

zoom Wed, Mar-27-02 14:31

I ordered a case of the garlic and herb. I hope they are tasty because this will fill the last void in my new low carb lifestyle. I'm :hyper: excited...Oh yeah thanks for the taste test results.

goingfor60 Wed, Mar-27-02 21:23

LC Enchilada Casserole

I made a enchilada casserole with my wheat tortillas and OMG I thought I was in mexican food heaven.

If you think about it - its nothing more than meat, cheese, LC tortillas and sauce. I used La Victoria enchilada sauce, and the carb count wasnt so insane, but this isnt a daily dish either. I think it was something like 8g-14g to every 1/2 cup of sauce

Thinking about it - I could have used less sauce and just rolled the enchiladas poured sauce over the top and baked them. Oh well the casserole was a learning experience - next time.

Also - I noticed that I only like the tortillas heated or fried. I made tortilla chips and ate them with different things like salsa (obviously) tuna and egg salad and it was almost like old times.

I hope you enjoy them... Let me know if you are interested in the enchillda casserole or enchilada recipe. I tend to make things really spicy I'm a strong believer in Kickin it up a notch.

Shannon :wave:

Lisa N Thu, Mar-28-02 20:22

I can't say I'm absolutely in love with these things, but I was never a tortilla person to beging with. My DH, however, loves them and gets crabby when we run out. My local health food store sells them in their frozen section, so I'm never too far from getting him his "fix". We mostly use them for sandwich wraps, but I've also made quesadillas with them as well as enchiladas...just go easy on the sauce. I have to say, they are very handy for fixing lunches to take to work...one sandwich wrap pretty much fills me up for the afternoon when I eat a salad with it.

Sutsee Mon, Apr-01-02 16:53

Love 'Em

I love these! I use them for everything. I make steak and cheese with peppers and onions...roll them up oh my so good. I use them for my version of a grilled cheese sandwich...anything I would use bread for in my former high carb life. I order them online at www.lowcarbmall.com

fern2340 Mon, Apr-01-02 20:25

:) I love 'em too! I got mine in on Friday. For lunch today I had one garlic-n-herb tortilla w/ american cheese, broccoli, grilled chicken and sour cream in it. MMMM!!!!!

Karla Mon, Apr-01-02 22:26

We like these tortillas, too, although we have found that we have pretty much lost our taste for bread of any kind.

But once in a while it is nice to have something in which to wrap tuna salad or ham and cheese. I like the spring onion the best, but then I haven't tried the herb and garlic.

I ordered them directly from the maker, at http://www.latortillafactory.com. You have to order a case of 10 packages, but I think you can mix the flavors. I haven't seen them in any store around here.

Karla

DWRolfe Thu, Apr-04-02 10:56

Another recipe...

Well, maybe not exactly a recipe, but this morning I made a tasty breakfast by...

...dicing up half a burger left over from cookout last night (nice smokey flavor) and fried it in a tablespoon of butter just until hot but not crispy...

...cracked two eggs over that (broke the yolks), fried and flipped it...

then layered into a garlic & herb low carb tortilla with some grated mexican cheese and rolled it up.

Viola! A low carb breakfast burrito that was really good!

fern2340 Thu, Apr-04-02 11:01

Thanks Donald!
Sounds great.... I am hoping you and everyone else will keep experimenting with the tortillas and I can steal your ideas!! I have only put cheese, broccoli and chicken in mine and i love them! I'll have to start trying other things....

Thanks again!
Linda

zoom Thu, Apr-04-02 14:50

I wish mine would hurry up and get here :(

zoom Fri, Apr-05-02 23:01

I got them and they are tasty and smell great. That was money well spent! I'm going to try breakfast burrito in the morning and grilled cheese for dinner.

billgwen Sat, Apr-13-02 11:37

Shannon, just wanted to say I too have tried the LaTortilla Factory brand and the wheat are much better than the garlic/herb. But I have found another that puts that one to shame! If you can find Manny's no fat totrillas you need to try them- they are unbelievable!! Manny's low fat/low Carb (5.5 carbs!) flour tortillas are not available in my area- east TN- but I'm working on that. After reading about them on a low carb board, I found them on the internet. The company is called Mexican Accent, Inc -- located in the Milwaukee, WI area.

They are so far above LaTortilla Factory tortillas that they can't be compared in taste, texture or price (about $1.59). And Manny's are only 2.5 more carbs; well worth it. I'd like to know what others think of them if they have tried them.

Hope you can find some to try. Gwen

IslandGirl Sat, Apr-13-02 21:11

I thought it might be helpful...

... to post the actual website here that BillGwen refers to...

So, a quick web search for "Mexican Accent tortillas" and bingo, http://www.mexicanaccent.com/ <-- link

Mexican accent turns out to be based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Who'da thunk it? :D :lol: :D I always associate Milwaukee with beer and cheese. They make tortillas and such for others ("private, branded label") to the retail trade as well as to the Industrial and Food Service sectors.

Apparently they are the makers of the "Mexican Accent, Manny's and Gringo Pete" tortillas, which are distributed, so they say, "throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe and The Caribbean".

So whichever package you pick up, be sure to check the Nutrition Facts label, and consider running it through the Hidden Carbs calculator provided right here at this site from the Tools menu (look up.... way up :D ). Each package (and label) could be quite different.

Hope this helps!

kodi10 Sun, Apr-14-02 18:46

Oh my goodness,

I just took a look along the thread at all you guys. :eek: My gosh, your stats are so encouraging to me. I am just getting my feet wet with the LC thing, but already miss bread. The thought that there might be some tortilla out there has my head swimming :daze: . I can make this work if I just get over a few hurdles.

When I say work I mean I want to be able to stick to it for life (a low-carb regeme that is). Did ya'll stick to the 20 carbs/day? Do you do more?

I am in San Antonio, so my idea of tortillas and a northerner's idea of tortillas may be two different things, but I am willing to try.

IslandGirl Mon, Apr-15-02 02:02

Hi, Kodi, and welcome to the W.O.E.!

I'm guessing from your question you're VERY new at this way of life, so I'll keep it short for now... the 20gram max is required for the Induction period only, on the Atkins Plan. If you have been "induced" into ketosis at the end of the 2 weeks and all is going well (i.e., you are feeling better and starting to lose weight), then one starts hunting for the Critical Carb Level, preferably by adding 5 grams to your daily total of GOOD carbs (broccoli fer instance :D ) and using this of carb grams for a week or how long it takes to find out if you are still losing.... This is all in your Atkins book.

I do also recommend you check out all our Forums, there's a ton of helpful info here, and a place to Introduce yourself and a place where new people ask their questions most freely (and the answers are shared).

Hope this helps (and personally, I go on Induction whenever I can kick my butt into it, to get back on track...). This has been my W.O.E. (except for a small digression :devil: after quitting smoking) since 1998, and will always be. :wave:

shellyfell Sat, Apr-20-02 13:33

Yes, this is wonderful..........I live in the central valley in CA and I buy them at Trader Joe's and at Raleys. :wave:

Deirdre Sat, Apr-20-02 13:45

I just did some looking around on the web for the Manny's tortillas and it seems there is a labelling error and they are not really low carb. They really have about 14g carbs each if you do the math with the nutritional info. :thdown: