Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Atkins and avocados (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=322875)

marco1951 Sat, Feb-03-07 18:29

Atkins and avocados

Are avocados allowed on the Atkins plan?

KvonM Sat, Feb-03-07 18:58

on induction, not really. avocados are high in carbs but also VERY high in fiber and fat... i believe the net carb count on one black avocado is 4g. you could have them as long as you count them in your total carb count, just not something to have every day.

once you get into OWL, they're allowed more frequently.

Norag Sat, Feb-03-07 19:07

In DANDR, I believe Atkins allows 1/2 an avocado per day on induction.

Lisa N Sat, Feb-03-07 19:12

1/2 of an avocado is allowed daily in the more recent editions and are included in the list of allowed foods for induction posted on the Atkins website here.
This is in addition to the daily salad vegetables permitted.

Quote:
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

HTH! :)

ShannonR Sat, Feb-03-07 19:18

Welcome!!!
I have nothing to add since I don't enjoy avocados, but good Luck on your journey!!!

Shannon

Rosebud Sat, Feb-03-07 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
on induction, not really. avocados are high in carbs but also VERY high in fiber and fat... i believe the net carb count on one black avocado is 4g. you could have them as long as you count them in your total carb count, just not something to have every day.

once you get into OWL, they're allowed more frequently.

I think someone needs to reread the book. ;)

In the 2002 edition of DANDR (the last one Dr Atkins wrote before his tragic death) he very clearly states half a small avocado daily is allowed during Induction.
As Lisa's post states, it may need to be dropped if weight loss is too slow.

Rosebud:rose:

JoeHead Sat, Feb-03-07 21:16

I eat half an avocado at least twice a week.. I love them in a chilled soup recipe with a cucumber, sour cream, onion and salt & pepper.. blend together and enjoy

ndelacourt Sat, Feb-03-07 21:30

mmmmm...that chilled soup sounds good! I'll have to try that!

frisbena Sat, Feb-03-07 21:31

Joe that sounds devine...do you have a more specific recipe for those of use who are not very culinarily inclined???

KvonM Sat, Feb-03-07 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
I think someone needs to reread the book. ;)

In the 2002 edition of DANDR (the last one Dr Atkins wrote before his tragic death) he very clearly states half a small avocado daily is allowed during Induction.
As Lisa's post states, it may need to be dropped if weight loss is too slow.

Rosebud:rose:

sorry... i probably should have rephrased that... i go by the 1992 edition, although i did double-check the atkins nutritionals site for the list of induction foods before i posted that. it lists avocado as something that can be used, but may need to be avoided in the first couple of weeks.

i need a new copy of the book anyway... with all the re-arranging going on in my house right now, goddess only knows where the hell it ended up... for all i know, the cats stole it and the bird has been using it as nesting material! :lol:

dstartz Sun, Feb-04-07 14:28

Smooth skin avocados have more carbs than a pebbled skin avocados!

(I'm sure someone will try to correct me on the smooth/pebble saying it's green/black, but where I live most avocados appear black so the smooth/pebble is the safest indicator.)

From Avocados: the “Perfect” Low Carb Food:

"Most of the avocados sold in the United States come from California or Florida. The California Haas are smaller with a pebbly skin in dark green to purplish-black; the Florida Fuertes are larger and have smooth, bright green skin. The Haas have a rich buttery texture and deep flavor while the Fuertes have less fat and more water for a blander flavor.
It’s important to know which variety you are buying! The Haas avocados have about half the Net Effective Carbs and are higher in iron, folate and vitamin E than the Fuerte variety."

JoeHead Mon, Feb-05-07 04:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbena
Joe that sounds devine...do you have a more specific recipe for those of use who are not very culinarily inclined???

Sure thing, I find that the onion can over power the soup sometimes so go easy at first...

1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 ripe Haas avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cold water
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. In a blender or food processor, combine the cucumber, avocados, green onions, lime juice, sour cream, and water. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick for your liking, thin it with water.

2. Stir in the cilantro and serve immediately, or cover and let chill.

Serves 4.

frisbena Mon, Feb-05-07 09:08

Thanks Joe!! I will make this soon. :thup:

JAnn Mon, Feb-05-07 11:16

That sounds really good. I love cold soups in the summer.

Equinox Mon, Feb-05-07 14:20

4 grams is NOT high. Please, let's be real here! :-)

JAnn Mon, Feb-05-07 14:40

According to M.P.L.A.N. one whole Haas avocado is 3.19 and USDA lists it as 3.5 so one-half of an avocado is anywhere from 1.59 carbs and 1.75. And it has a wealth of nutrients.

ElleH Mon, Feb-05-07 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1951

Yes they are! What a wonderful source of satisfying fat and some vitamins and fiber, too! They help keep you regular, too. I eat one small (eating it right out of the shell with just salt and pepper) with my protein for lunch at least once a week. Have done it since the first week. They are super for weight loss! I've lost weight the next morning almost every time I've eaten one! Enjoy! :yum:

JaneDough Tue, Feb-06-07 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1951

Yes, but they're soooo nasty. Green and slimey and gross and - aaaack!

Uhh..I mean, enjoy. :blush:

Nancy LC Tue, Feb-06-07 17:33

Avo's are slippery, not slimey. Either way, they own.

I was toying with the idea of tossing avo's into my stir fry. I think it might be tasty.

swelch Wed, Apr-11-07 09:28

Whew...glad i don't have to give them up.

ttc#2 Wed, Apr-11-07 11:33

Love them with a sprinkle of lemon pepper!

SunnyCarol Wed, Apr-11-07 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDough
Yes, but they're soooo nasty. Green and slimey and gross and - aaaack!

Uhh..I mean, enjoy. :blush:
I Second that opinion! I've tried several times to like them, but I just can't. I think they look so pretty in salads and sliced on sandwiches, but...yuck!

Sunny!