Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   callanetics (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=295295)

mssekules Mon, May-01-06 13:24

callanetics

I've just come across callanetics again and am wondering if it's worth strarting now or waiting until i've lost all the weight and sticking to cardio for now?

RVcook Sun, May-07-06 17:38

Mssekules,

From what I've been reading about Callanetics in other forums, most of the people who started it, have reported EXCELLENT results while they were LCing.

I was so impressed, I just ordered the 10 in 10 video for the toning benefits. Remember, if you build more muscle, you will automatically raise your BMR and that will help you burn more calories!!!

Cardio really helped me to burn fat, so I sure can't see why you wouldn't want to keep up with it. Doing ANY exercise becomes key if you want to lose weight and look good!

Donna

mssekules Mon, May-08-06 03:16

OOhh thanks Donna, thats nice to know!!
Julie

RVcook Mon, May-08-06 07:46

You're very welcome! :)

Brook Mon, May-08-06 18:26

Callanetics ROCKS.

It's something everyone can do..super easy to modify and the work out is fantastic.

Go for it!

mssekules Tue, May-09-06 12:50

Do u think if I do put on a couple of Ibs it'll be a one off muscle thing?

Brook Tue, May-09-06 13:55

Not sure I understand what you're asking?

catcookie Wed, May-10-06 09:18

Callentics is the best for getting a lean, strong body in very short time. When I was doing just the legs tape my thighs
got so lean and long and my hips got slimmer all my jeans where hanging low on my hips!
I just started doing the tapes again myself. My plan is to do cardio
2x a week and callentics 2x a week.

MesoMaiden Thu, May-11-06 17:46

Wow! Callanetics works..and fast!

I have been doing Callanetics on and off for the past 5 years! I love it! I think I'm going to get back into again too, it's so amazing what it does for your body. I am a strong mesomorph type and want to lean out my bulky existing muscles, this does the trick! But the key is to remain consistant and try to do all the exercises correctly. It takes time, but in a few short weeks you will master them.

WyoDiva Wed, Jul-19-06 21:44

I love Callanetics. I used to do it many years ago, but got away from it. Just picked it back up again a couple weeks ago, and I love the tighter, leaner body ALREADY emerging. I'm doing it every day right now because I want to build that muscle mass and burn the fat/calories right off. Fastest working exercise program I've ever used. :)

BawdyWench Thu, Jul-20-06 03:06

Are there new tapes/DVDs? I have the original one called simply Callanetics, and the next one called Super Callanetics.

Are the exercises the same, the philosophies the same?

I remember the exercises being pretty darned hard.

deb34 Tue, Aug-29-06 13:36

can someone point me to an active Callanetics forum please?

thank you

lizzyLC Tue, Aug-29-06 13:55

Is it like pilates?
Which DVD do you like best?

BawdyWench Tue, Aug-29-06 16:53

No clue where an active thread is. This one has been sitting here for a very long time with no responses to my posts.

Yes, I do believe it's a lot like Pilates. LIKE Pilates, but very UNLIKE it, too.

It's a tough workout, so you should start with the first one.

lizzyLC Wed, Aug-30-06 08:32

Bawdy - would that be 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours????

BawdyWench Wed, Aug-30-06 09:59

Nope. It's simply called Callanetics. You can check it out at their website at callanetics.com.

Jo-Ann 2 Wed, Aug-30-06 12:05

I have the tapes and yes it is the same person that developed it. She does say you can look ten years younger in ten lessons. It is a work out and it takes time to get all those muscles working but it is worth it.
Jo

deb34 Fri, Sep-01-06 09:48

i have the book but i don't have access to anything like a barre or a ladder for some of the excercises and i'm too tall to hang off the top of a door and i don't feel secure hanging onto a chair back for the barre excercises. Also i cannot use the kitchen countertop as a barre so does anyone have tips on what i can do for these excercises?

thanks

Jo-Ann 2 Sun, Sep-03-06 07:53

My only suggestion is a ladder attached securely to the wall.

Jo

BawdyWench Sun, Sep-03-06 09:56

I use my weight bench for the sitting-down moves; you could also use the coffeee table. For the standing-up moves, I use whatever is a little higher. I have a workout room with lots of equipment, so I just pick something a little higher. Even if you use the coffee table or something not as high, you still get the stretch.

catcookie Tue, Sep-05-06 11:27

I started back today with the 1 hour tape and plan to do a 2 mile walk away the pounds tape. :)

deb34 Tue, Sep-05-06 11:34

thanks for your suggestions ladies. sorry to keep nagging....i should explain. I rent a room in my sisters condo so i have only my bedroom to excercise in.... that means about a space about 8 feet long and 5 feet wide.... no room for anything else...would the edge of the bed be ok for the 'barre' work? i can't think of any way to substitute for the ladder though....

MamaSara6 Sun, Sep-10-06 04:47

I haven't done Callanetics for about 15 years! I have the book and I did it after my first child was born. I lost all my baby weight except for 10 lbs. and with Callanetics I was SMALLER than pre-pregnancy! I may have to get it out again or look for a DVD!

As I recall, I used to "hang" from the refrigerator! Not easy to do, or I just skipped that one. Any chance of installing a chin-up bar in a doorway?

I also used the kitchen counter for a barre, but if you're in the bedroom, what about the dresser? Or the bathroom counter? Those are a little sturdier and higher than the bed.

Sometimes I just don't have the energy for a standing up, jumping around workout and even though Callanetics is tough, it is sometimes easier to do a static workout! thanks for the reminder!

indee Sun, Feb-18-07 14:50

callanetics..start soon as you can,watch and feel the magic!!

lizzyLC Wed, Feb-21-07 09:37

I gotta break out my DVD again.

FtballMom Tue, Feb-27-07 07:26

This is reminding me of years ago - I also worked out with the Calan Pinkney (something like that?) tapes. I'm not sure I have them anymore. They really did work, but of course since they were resistance training using your body and household objects for "weights". Great workout with great results. I guess I'll check out the website to see if they have any DVD's for days I don't feel like going to the gym.

Just wondering if it's her version of Pilates before it became so popular?

indee Wed, Feb-28-07 03:10

callanetics,is unlike any other excercise and involves household objects to hold onto,or stretch with,but callan is very much against any form of weights,she tried using light weights before she published callanetics,she didnt like what they did to her knees and joints in general.
Callanetics is a series of small, gentle, precise motions consistently applied that activate the body's largest most powerful muscles to quickly tighten hips, buttocks, inner and outer thighs; flatten the tummy; lift the bust and firm underarms and tone the entire body. It will also dramatically improve your posture. You will feel the difference after one hour and most people actually see a difference after two hours. By following the simple 60 minute Callanetics workout twice a week, the body you always dreamed about is only hours away.

Many of us have purchased our Callanetics DVD's and tapes from Amazon or Ebay, but some have been lucky enough to find them in retail stores.

Most people are beginning with the 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours DVD/VHS tape, but they're all wonderfullly effective.

indee
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Good luck to you ......Let the Magic begin to work

FtballMom Wed, Feb-28-07 10:52

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I didn't mean "lifting weights." I meant resistance training as in using your body weight or a chair, etc. to provide resistance to the muscle. Sorry.

I remember selling my tape in a garage sale. Rats. Well, I'll have to do some searching.

indee Thu, Mar-01-07 04:03

ah i see what you mean.

have you tried amazon/ebay to find a vid or dvd?they are pretty hard to get hold of for sure.
i hope you find one soon :)

lizzyLC Thu, Mar-01-07 08:53

Cute pics Indie - you look great.