Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Favorite Snack Poll (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=26558)

KASSY Wed, Nov-28-01 22:14

Favorite Snack Poll

I was just curious what some of the veteran low carbers favorite snacks are?
Also looking for easy, on the go snack ideas.

Kassy :rolleyes:

Susan19 Wed, Nov-28-01 22:26

I love smoked salmon with boursin cream cheese rolled up in it...mmm! I have that when I am waiting for dinner to be done. Also, macadamias are an old favorite as well.
Susan

goingfor60 Wed, Nov-28-01 23:42

Snacks

I eat the 1oz bags of planters peanuts or beef jerky

Shannon

madpiano Thu, Nov-29-01 03:34

I usually have packets (small !) of Macadamia Nuts or Smoked Almonds in the cupboard for snacks. Another favourite is Emmental Cheese (the real continental one is really expensive, but seems to contain less carbs, than Uk produced ones). If I am not too hungry, I bang some streaky bacon strips into the Oven.

agonycat Thu, Nov-29-01 07:35

Sunflower seed addict here. :D

And if it's not sunflower seeds, its mixed nuts or the once in a blue moon orange/almond chocolate fluffs I make.

KASSY Thu, Nov-29-01 08:33

sounds good

agonycat-
How do you make that, it sounds good?

A thin me! Thu, Nov-29-01 09:00

Susan19 - question

Susan19:

The cheese you are referring to - is it a hard (formed into a wedge) cheese or in a tub like a spread??

The reason I am asking, is that I eat Lox with cream cheese - slicing off a piece here and dipping it in the cream cheese, but the boursin would be a nice change of pace.

Please get back to me and how high in carbs is it?

agonycat Thu, Nov-29-01 09:11

2 oz of Unsweetened chocolate (bakers kind)
1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 c splenda
capful of orange extract (I use the little bottles so 1/4 tsp is about a capful)
2 tbls of unsalted butter
1/4c slivered or sliced or whole almonds (you could use any of your favorite nuts here)

Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave.

Mix together the heavy cream, splenda and orange flavoring. Whip this until it resembles cool whip. Gently fold in the chocolate mixture and nuts, be careful not to break down the whipping cream too much.

Spoon small blobs into wax paper and chill to set.

Once they set up, I normally transfer these to a plastic bag and store in the freezer. You can vary this with different extracts and nuts. Also if you dont like a bitter sweetness you could add a bit more splenda to this.

Not sure how many carbs extracts have in them as it wasn't listed in the database.

Carb count:
Chocolate: 16 grams, 8 fiber
Cream: 2 grams
Splenda: 2 grams (for safety sakes)
Slivered almonds: 6 grams, 3 fiber
Butter: .018 grams
Extract: no clue its not listed anywhere

26 grams of carbs and 11 fiber for the entire batch. Normally I make 8 blobs so that is around 4 grams for each one without minusing out the fiber count.

Susan19 Thu, Nov-29-01 09:29

Hi!
It's in a tub. I actually get the light kind, I am assuming I decided to get Light because it was lower in carbs. It's 1.63g carbs for a serving, which is 1 2/3 tablespoon (28g). good stuff!
Susan

Atriana Thu, Nov-29-01 10:34

Pepperoni slices and cheese cubes.
Mock Danish.
1 oz bag of peanuts - can't buy the big cans, I'll eat too many.
Queso Blanco - (frying cheese)

slm6596 Thu, Mar-07-02 10:14

Hi agonycat,

I was double checking the carbs in your chocolate orange recipe, and I think it's a little bit off. The main thing is the Splenda. Splenda is .5 per tsp. so 1/4 cup would be 6 grams of carbs, not 3.

Here's what I came up with; let me know if I'm wrong.

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate=7.31 (excluding fiber)
1/2 c heavy cream=3.32
1/4 c Splenda=6.0
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (I don't like orange)=0.13
2 T of butter=0.20
1/4 c almonds=2.58

For a total of 19.54 divided by 8 would be 2.44 per serving. Not too bad; I think I'll make these.

Elaine3 Thu, Mar-28-02 10:27

cubed cheese
vienns sausages
pork rinds
celery w/ cream cheese on it
deviled eggs
sf jello
each eaten as a singular snack or all together as a lunch meal

KellieV Mon, Apr-01-02 13:29

Ham & Cream cheese roll-ups

These are my saving grace!
I make a bunch then when I get home from work they are done and ready to eat -(THEN I AM NOT TEMPTED TO EAT MY CABINETS-after I have eaten everything in them (LOL))

Watch the carbs on the ham you by some are 0 some are not
spread cream cheese (or long cube of cheddar) on ham
slice of chili, green pepper or green onion
then roll the ham up

They are great and the temptation is gone!

Good Luck

CarbHealth Sat, Apr-06-02 17:48

devilled eggs

Mostly Spanish Devilled Eggs

and I also have mozzarella cheese chunks marinated in olive oil with garlic and onion powders.

Dandi Sat, Apr-06-02 18:30

I am learning I have to be very careful about the concept of "snacks". I tend to think of cream, cream cheese, chocolate, even diet puddings, diet jello or diet pop. And they all trip me up. I quit losing weight, don't feel as good, can't sleep at night, etc. I've decided some of us are especially sensitive to the effects of these foods. Mayo is another one, a T. of it can throw me off. So deviled eggs are out too.

So I'm having to learn to think of snacks in a totally different way: a little protein food with a raw vegetable usually. That's about as far as I've got but I'm open to ideas.

alto Sat, Apr-06-02 22:28

I'm moving to six small meals -- or big snacks -- every day. It feels decadent, but it also keeps me from feeling hungry. I also am trying to build up a repertoire of grab and go meals so I don't have any excuses to stray :)

Mainstays are:

salami -- I buy a pound of sliced salami a week and grab two or three slices, 4 or 5 if I'm ravenous.

ham and cheese or
roast beef and cheese -- rolled up together

Bran o'crisps (I order them from the Atkins site) a not bad cracker that's 4 carbs. I put butter and cheese on it.

A hard boiled egg

A very small apple sliced and spread with peanut butter

carolyn Sun, Apr-07-02 18:47

snacks

I like to slice cheddar cheese and put it into a 400 degree oven. When it starts to bubble, it's done. Take it out, let it cool and it will get crunchy. They are great if you miss chips! I have even added sliced pepporoni. The pepperoni will also get crunchy.
Cream cheese and chopped olive rolled in no carb ham is another favorite.

Elaine3 Mon, Apr-08-02 08:45

broth as a snack

I am now drinking more broth that I ever did before "Sue Bee" beef broth and chicken zero carbs, are now a great drink for me if I am even a little bit hungry they fill me up and hold me till the next mealtime

:wave:
Elaine

Christena Fri, Jan-10-03 01:36

yum...

a piece of pepperoni holding tightly to a macadamia nut is delightful....lol first time I tried it I thought ugh this can't be good but it really is and I can't really eat more than 4 or 5 at a time so it isn't too bad.....I remember when I would polish off the whole bag of pepperoni and loads of the nuts and wash it all down with a pepsi..... hmmmmm...... might be what got me in this shape....carbs added to that.

CanadianT Fri, Jan-10-03 12:37

Hi there,
My biggest problem is portion control. I would eat a whole can of nuts if i got my hands on it. Last week i made a batch of beef jerky and by the end of the day, i almost finished it off. What i like to do now, is as soon as it is done, i grab some ziplock bags, label them with the days of the week, and divide my portions out. That way i would feel terribly guilty if i was to eat tomorrows serving today, lol. So far it has worked for me. I like all the awesome snack ideas, i'll have to give them a try, but i will make sure i only make a small amount at one time. :roll:

Toni

lawoman Sun, Feb-02-03 08:20

I'm like Dandi

I find snacking to be a difficult thing.I'm not saying I don't do it but for me,I think that I am better off eating meat when I'm craving or just need a snack.I really believe that some of us are super sensitive to any foods that taste a lot like the very things we used to have no control over eating.I'm not sure if it is sweeteners but I am pretty sure it is a matter of loving the taste and an addiction to it!I am doing my best to eliminate those from my WOL as they stall me.

This is not meant for everyone.If you can handle the snacks i'm thrilled for you.It is only meant to help those like me who were having a tough time either stalled,staying the same,or still having cravings in induction.If you are like myself and Dandi,you may want to read the Tips and Pointer on the website www.conniems.com There is a wealth of info there(my friend thought I wrote it)..but I swear I didn't :D

Have a great LC Day..

Linda

lucyr Mon, Feb-03-03 03:57

'I really believe that some of us are super sensitive to any foods that taste a lot like the very things we used to have no control over eating.I'm not sure if it is sweeteners but I am pretty sure it is a matter of loving the taste and an addiction to it!'

I agree, sometimes if the taste is like the 'evil' food, the cravings can be triggered really badly. I love clotted cream (heavy, yellow and stiff cream..reminds me of summer childhoods spent in Devon and Cornwall), but it is quite sweet, and last time I had a spoonful as a snack, I was overtaken by a craving for sugar.

Margme Wed, Aug-13-03 18:12

Snax are what got me fat in the first place~! I am very afraid of them. I messed up today as a matter of fact when I started with whipped cream....just a little hear and there and before you know it ......I am bloated and feeling insulin induced hunger for the first time in weeks. :eek: :( Tomorrow is another day tho....I feel more in control and not totally discourage because of my daily trips to the gym for a high intensity step arobic class almost daily at 8:00 a.m. :daizy: . I feel like what ever sins I may commit and I will, I have a 2nd level of defense here. My other two weapons are Yoga and Meditation ...I don't know how they do it but I feel so satisfied I don't search for food like I usually do when I do them regularly.

Snax plax

m

Chillygatr Sun, Aug-17-03 11:23

Macademias are great but I find them too easy to keep popping in my mouth. So I eat Pistascios. It's hard to eat way too many when you have to de-shell 'em. There're more carbs to them but not as easily consumed and they are less expensive.

I like Bremner wafers. You can find them in any grocery store. They are often sold near the wine in the "designer cracker" area. Only 11 grams per 7 wafers! Woo-hoo! Good with cheese, pepperoni or spreads. I particularly like them with a seafood cheese spread. The down side; my kids have decided they like them too. Now it's hard to keep them around.

mind-full Sun, Aug-17-03 11:59

I'm not a "veteran" by any means, but I do have an occasional snack, and that's usually if I didn't get a good, regular meal for some reason (I have small children ... it happens periodically that they eat well and I don't!).

I don't want to skip meals, nor can I and not be famished, so I pop a snack in here and there until the next meal time.

• celery stuffed with cream cheese
• cream cheese whipped with a tsp. or two of DaVinci SF syrup
• deviled eggs
• hamburger dill chips with cheese cubes
• green olives with a bit of peanut butter on top (strange? just taste it. An old family tradition is to serve Ritz crackers spread with peanut butter and topped with sliced green olives on New Year's Eve. I can still eat the best part!)

jaybird Thu, Aug-28-03 20:48

Hey Dandi, why don't you try making homemade mayo...maybe the small amount of sugar in store-bought kind can throw you off? Just an idea.

For snacks:1) I love beef jerky. I don't like nitrates though, but hubbie said we might get a dehydrator soon so we can make our own..cool. 2) Boiled eggs with salt and pepper. 3) Cheese 4) Mock Danishes (found the recipe on this board) 5) Nuts 6) Raw sweet red pepper
I can get bored easily...I'm always looking at the recipes on this forum for ideas and it really keeps my taste buds happy.

stacia Fri, Aug-29-03 19:24

My husband tells me it looks awful but I mix sugar-free jello mix with cottage cheese. to make it extra special I might dab some whipping cream on top. If pink or orange cottage cheese is to much to handle use the premade jello and put a scoop of cottage cheese on the side.

micsing Sun, Sep-21-03 18:51

I live on cheddar/monteray jack pimento cheese with celery stalk as the "dipper"!!!

Chillygatr Mon, Sep-22-03 05:59

Stacia,

Here's a recipe I modified from one I found on this site which is similar to your cottage cheese combo. I call it;

"Fluff".

Dissolve 1 package any flavor SF jello with 2/3 cup boiling water. Add 8oz of cream cheese cut up and set aside (cheese will start to soften)

Whip 1 cup whipping cream to soft peaks, Add 1 Tablespoon Slenda.

Beat the jello mixture with 1 cup cottage cheese and fold in the whipped cream.

Spread in a tupperware container and refrigerate. Lick beaters, Lick bowl.

FYI: The original recipe asked for 2 packages of jello and no added sweetener. But I found the extra jello was unnecessary and often wouldn't dissolve properly. I added the Slenda to make up for any sweetness lost from halving the jello. It may be unnecessary as well. This will last me about 5 days in the frig before its all gone.

Michael_R Thu, Oct-09-03 18:50

I personally would die without Pumpkin Seeds... A 5oz bag has 8 grams of effective carbs and I dare any of you to try finishing a bag in less than 3 or four hours....