Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wonderful New Website, with a Low-carb Link (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25738)

doreen T Fri, Nov-16-01 21:09

Wonderful New Website, with a Low-carb Link

http://www.karenbarnaby.com/

Karen, this site is delightfully you. Classic, thoughtful, and lots of surprises with the merest click of the mouse. I loved reading your bio, and the things that have inspired and motivated you. The recipes are pretty awesome too ... :rose:

Well-done, and well-deserved limelight for you! Take a bow, madame.

love from Doreen

alto Fri, Nov-16-01 21:17

What a lovely site -- it's one of the most interesting designs I've seen. Very classy :) -- not a surprise!

(Thank you for posting this, Doreen.)

Karen Fri, Nov-16-01 22:04

Thanks Do! :D

The site was created by students from Simon Fraser University who used me as their term project. I didn't want to have a site, but I knew it would help publicize them as well as all the others who have been linked - this website included.

It turned out better than I was expecting. Very professional and visually calm yet confident.

Click on to the site so they will get good marks! ;)

Karen

doreen T Fri, Nov-16-01 22:11

Quote:
..... Very professional and visually calm yet confident.
Like I said, the site is delightfully you.

They get an A+ from me :thup:

Do

tamarian Fri, Nov-16-01 22:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
help publicize them as well as all the others who have been linked - this website included.

But they got our link wrong! :(

But great work nonetheless! :thup:

Wa'il

Karen Sat, Nov-17-01 12:46

I sent them an email this morning. It should be fixed pretty soon.

Karen

otenn Sat, Nov-17-01 14:04

PS Karen:

I saw you on "Marketplace" the other day, talking about the difference between farm and wild salmon I believe. It was such a nice surprise to instantly recognize someone on the TV, even for me, way up here in the boonies.

Mari

YogaBuff Sat, Nov-17-01 14:14

Karen, great site! Love the lamb recipe-- we love lamb! What type of store sells 'fragrant' honey. I've never seen it.

We get a Canadian channel on our cable. Why do I know I'm gonna be surfing to find Marketplace and hear what Karen has to say? Hope you're on there!

yb

Karen Sat, Nov-17-01 15:06

Thanks Mari! I think the show aired on CBC Wednesday night so you probably won't see it Yoga.

What I mean by fragrant honey, is honey that has a good scent and interesting flavour - not a generically blah tasting honey like Kraft or Billy Bee.

Most of us can't use honey anyway, but you can! :(

Karen

itsjoyful Sat, Nov-17-01 16:09

bravo!!!

fantabulous!! :Party: :Party: :Party:

Natrushka Sat, Nov-17-01 16:25

Wonderful site, Karen. And quite the surprize!

N

Ruth Sat, Nov-17-01 17:13

Karen,

I love your new site. I had 1 peek while it was under construction, but now it's complete, it is tres magnifique! I am definitely going to visit the Gourmet Warehouse soon. I've been avoiding it because 1) I'm afraid of how much $$ I'd spend and 2) I'm only about 1 mile away, and worried about the $$$$ I'd spend.

Congratulations on the launch of your new site. I think I'll go visit it again later today. One question, why no picture of your happy, smiling face? Inquiring minds want to know.

Karen Sat, Nov-17-01 17:26

'Da face is there, on the biography page. Same face as the one here. I've only got a few public faces! LOL!

Karen

Madihah1 Sun, Nov-18-01 07:04

Hi Karen,

Congratulations on your site!!!

Madihah

Karen Sun, Nov-18-01 11:51

Hey Wa'il! The link to here has been fixed.

Karen

tamarian Sun, Nov-18-01 12:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Hey Wa'il! The link to here has been fixed.

Karen

Thanks Karen :)

Wa'il

YogaBuff Sun, Nov-18-01 12:27

Karen--Honey? On Schwarzbein?? Nope. In fact, that is what she is strictest about--any kind of sugars, anytging with an -ol or an -ose on the end. She doesn't even allow art. sweet. like splenda. Absolutely no caffeine either, but I fudge on that one.

I was hoping that fragrant honey was some kind of exotic spice (powdered maybe) that had a real honey- like flavor when cooked in things. My loss. :(

yb

Karen Sun, Nov-18-01 12:35

You know what has a honey-like flavour? Fresh lavander! A little bit in a marinade for chicken or lamb is delicious.

Thanks for setting me straight. I have too many plans in my brain and get confused... :daze:

Karen

YogaBuff Sun, Nov-18-01 12:56

Oh, my. I would never presume to set YOU straight! I think of you and Doreen and Nat and Wa'il and the whole list as 'oh knowledgable ones'. LOL. Know what you mean though, only two books so far and I'm :daze: .

Thanks for the idea about lavender htough, it's my fav! Got it growing right outside. Use it to make sachets and soap (little hobby)--never ate it , but OK! It's not in season, so are some flowers saved in a zipp-lock baggy fresh enough?

yb

PatHawk Mon, Nov-19-01 09:28

Congratulations Karen

This really is a great web site - how wonderful that the students took you on as a project! Are they going to keep it updated for you, or do you have to learn to do that yourself?
You must be from the Maritimes originally, if you and your mother and grandmother used to pick fiddleheads! I come from Nova Scotia, so I know what you mean :thup:
I did go into the recipe section, but they are not necessarily low carb recipes - correct :q: There is no nutrition information provided, but the apple and honey cake that takes a cup of honey cannot be a low carb recipe.
Perhaps I misunderstood the low carb connection.
It is a great site though - and very creatively put together.
Congratulations :)
Cheers

Karen Mon, Nov-19-01 10:33

No, the recipes are from my other life - the professionally high carb one!

The LC connection is a link and description on the Community page to here.

I'm not from NS, but one grandmother was and the other was from Quebec.

Karen

PatHawk Mon, Nov-19-01 10:47

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that the recipes must be from that "other life" ;)
Aren't fiddleheads the neatest little vegetables? Not many people even recognize them as edible. The are so cool in the wild. :)
I am away from home right now, but when I get back I will have to research how to be more creative on this forum - I thought that I might like to post a picture of the post LC me that my husband took the other night, but I have absolutely no idea how to go about it!! :exclm:
I notice you now have a link to the fish house in Stanley Park - is that where you work? We have eaten there many times!! What a small world.- great eats by the way :D
That's it for now.
Cheers