Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Pork Rinds (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25260)

AngieH Sun, Nov-11-01 11:07

Pork Rinds

After reading so many posts and good things about pork rinds, I decided to try them for the first time. To be quite honest, I was disgusted. They smelled funky and tasted like cardboard/pork gone bad. I even tried them with a ranch-type dip. I just wanted something crunchy as a snack. Any suggestions for something crunchy and low-carb besides pork rinds?? :confused:

doreen T Sun, Nov-11-01 11:17

hi Angie

I think you hit the nail on the head, when you said they tasted like pork gone bad! They probably WERE bad. Pork rinds have a shelf life, and they can and DO go rancid, because they're a natural food product. Fresh pork rinds have a faint bacony smell, and taste rather bland, slightly like raw-ish bacon, without the smoky flavour. If they smell bad, or have a strong "chemically" odour, they're rancid. Take them back!! I do.

Try to buy them from a store where the turnover is high, so they haven't been sitting there for weeks and weeks. And eat them up within a few days of opening the bag too -- they go stale quickly (stale pork rinds can be whirled into crumbs in the food processor, herbs added and used for breading meats, chicken and fish). If possible, look for a freshness date on the package. NOTE: stale isn't the same as rancid. Stale just means they're not crispy any more, from the package being opened.

Avoid buying from stores where they stock the pork rinds on a shelf under a hot spotlight. Heat will speed up the rancid-process. I complained to a store manager, and they moved them to another location ;)

Too bad you had an unpleasant experience. Pork rinds are pretty boring on their own, but when fresh, they really are good with various dips or toppings.

Doreen

LC Sponge Sun, Nov-11-01 16:18

I'm backing Doreen BIGTIME on this one, Angie.

There should be nothing *fowl* about the *rinds* - seriously try another supplier.

Pork rinds are so versatile, as a breading, snack, there's even a recipe for a *fake* french toast using them. It would be a shame for you to miss out if you got a bad batch.

AngieH Sun, Nov-11-01 16:34

Well, I'm going to try another brand, however I don't think I'll use them as a snack. I've read almost all the recipes posted and you're right LC Sponge, it would be a shame not to try them! The recipes ALL sound yummy. :yum:

Off to go grocery shopping!

Angie

Susan19 Sun, Nov-11-01 17:29

I have a pork rind question...
I haven't eaten pork products for years, although I am reconsidering now that I am eating LC. What exactly *is* a pork rind? I mean, I've seen them and everything, but what's in there? I am still working up the courage to just buy a bag of them already, but I really have a mental block against them :daze: and would feel much better if I knew what they really were.
Thanks!!
Susan

doreen T Sun, Nov-11-01 17:50

hi Susan

Pork rinds are made from pieces of cooked pork skin, that are then fried in a little oil until they "pop" like popcorn! and puff up nice and crispy! Then they're salted or sometimes another seasoning, such as barbecue flavour (beware, sometimes has sugar added) ... they're packaged .. and that's it. No artificial ingredients, no hydrogenated fat.

In fact, one ounce of pork rinds has less fat (9g) than an ounce of potato chips (11g). And ZERO carbs, unless the seasoning has starch or sugar in it.

There's another product, available in the US, called Pork Cracklin's .. these are made the exact same way, but the piece of pork skin is cut thicker, so they're more substantial and "meatier".

my trivia 2¢ for today :cool:

Doreen

Susan19 Sun, Nov-11-01 18:00

Thanks Doreen!

Your post was really helpful. Still not sure how I feel about fried pork skin, but I'll try it out and see... :)
Susan

doreen T Sun, Nov-11-01 18:06

Quote:
Still not sure how I feel about fried pork skin, but I'll try it out and see... [/B]
Hey, isn't crispy SKIN the best part of fried chicken?? And isn't the skin on roast pork grand when it gets all crisp and CRACKLIN'?? Yumm .. ;)

Doreen

jenn Sun, Nov-11-01 19:39

where can I get them in toronto?

Hi everyone,

Where can I get port rinds in Toronto:

Tried IGA, Sobys, local bulk store, Dominion...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jenn

Deirdre Sun, Nov-11-01 21:49

Re: where can I get them in toronto?

Quote:
Originally posted by jenn
Hi everyone,

Where can I get port rinds in Toronto:

Bulk Barn usually has them.

doreen T Sun, Nov-11-01 22:24

hi Jenn

in Toronto area ... Loblaws and Superstore have them, Old Grandad's brand. They're with the chips. Shopper's Drug Mart carries this brand too ... sometimes they keep them with the nuts and crackers, instead of the chip rack.

Pork rinds are very popular in Asia ... so check out your local Asian market too.

good luck,

Doreen

Fumih_81 Mon, Nov-12-01 01:20

Oh Doreen,

you mean Asia markets do have similar pork rind products?

I still cant seem to find it.. :D

I love fried chicken skin~and my mom eeks at the sight whenever i put a fatty piece of pork into my mouth :p

doreen T Mon, Nov-12-01 01:31

You got me there ...

Asia is a huge. diverse continent. I guess I was trying to be helpful to the member who specifically asked where in Toronto Canada to find pork rinds, and that is where I have seen them.

If I think very hard, it's possible the markets were specifically Chinese or maybe Vietnamese. Maybe you might have luck in a Chinese market too??

Doreen

mum's girl Mon, Nov-12-01 03:26

rinds

Anyone know how the Asian folks use pork rinds? We might be on to a new taste treat!

sabrina Mon, Nov-12-01 09:15

Pork Rind Recipes

Hi, just wanted to know where I can find all of the oork rind recipes? sabrina

Lessara Mon, Nov-12-01 12:36

I kinda agree

I have been LCing for three months and I still can't eat pork rinds straight out of the bag. I can eat them mixed with meat to make meatballs, They are good mixed crumbed in a tuna salad. (Kinda tastes like buttery bread crumbs). Its to taste really.
Oh and I've tried all kinds of varieties. So I can honestly say I don't like them alone :p