Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   newbie dianna (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=201643)

dianna9234 Tue, Aug-03-04 12:12

newbie dianna

hi everyone.. my name is dianna.. and i had 119 to lose when I started Atkins this year on June 11th.. unfortunately i have only lost 16 lbs and not many inches either.. some sort of stall.. i have not cheated and can still look a salad in the face without gagging.. i am hoping that this plateau will bust loose, and I am hanging in there.. because losing weight is real important to me right now. I have always been heavy, and have never stuck to any sort of diet (and believe me i tried all the diets i could find) before. especially this long. I am bummed I've only lost 16 and i am on my.. what?.. 8th week?
I am looking forward to the help I can receive here,.. encouragements, success stories, and receipes, etc..
A little more about me.. I am 42, mother of 2, grandmother of 2, live in southern california high desert. starting weight 284 goal weight 165, I don't keep a journal (yet).. i havent had time to figure it out.. (i know it is important).. I tried the chat forum, but there was only 2 ppl there..
hmmm.... thats about it for now..
but i did want to say hi to all of you :wave:
and looking forward to getting to know each of you :agree:
best of luck to everyone :thup:
take care
dianna

rosey1 Tue, Aug-03-04 12:49

hi dianna!
Welcome to the board! you will meet lots of wonderful folks here who will inspire and help you. Good luck on your journey looking forward to many more posts!

AFwife Tue, Aug-03-04 12:55

Welcome aboard.

You'll find lots of support here.

Everyone is great.

niaha Tue, Aug-03-04 13:21

Welcome dianna...I had that problem in the beginning then it started to come off...just keep going girl...

jemman Tue, Aug-03-04 15:33

welcome diana! & good luck :D

skinnbones Tue, Aug-03-04 17:10

Welcome. From another mother of 2 and grandma of 2 and I am 43. I am from the Ohio River Valley of West Virginia. But no matter where you are being a grandma is FUN!!! :hyper: I look forward to getting to know you. Hang in there. Post some menus because people are really good at giving advise to help out. :D

MisterE Tue, Aug-03-04 17:24

Welcome! Lots of good folx around here.

diemde Tue, Aug-03-04 17:30

Welcome to the TDC! :wave: < from one double n to another. :lol: >

Yes, please post a typical day's menu and we will try to help. There are lots of variations that can make a difference...such as eating several (5-6) small meals per day versus 2-3, or cutting out a particular food, like lc sweets.

Good luck in your journey,
Dianne

bob2112 Tue, Aug-03-04 19:07

Welcome to the forums and to the TDC. You will find lots of great people here that can provide support and motivation.

Good luck as you move forward :)

LizzyMc Tue, Aug-03-04 20:29

Welcome and hang in there, it does work... even if it takes a bit longer. Some lose fast and some lose slow, but everybody loses. Congrats on the 16 pounds so far! Keep checking the inches. I check on Friday and am excited because my skin feels loose, weird, but I am thinking that means that some more fat vacated! I go back and forth between losing pounds and losing inches, so make sure you keep track of both of them!

AntiM Tue, Aug-03-04 21:04

Hi Dianna ...

Welcome to the Triple Digits Club!

I'm glad you found us ... this is a great place for support and learning.

Like you, I've been heavy all my life and I never lost weight on any diet plan. And I tried 'em all, too! This is the only thing I've ever been able to do - and I feel I can say ... It's Working. ;)

But at one point early on - I think it was 6 weeks out - I learned I had lost very little. I was soooo disappointed because so many other people around me were dropping pounds right and left. Luckily, some veteran posters here set me straight and gave me the advice I'm going to share with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me in Beth's Introduction
DO NOT compare yourself with others. There are people here who have incredible stories of speedy weight loss. That may or may not happen for you. Typically, it's the men and younger women who have the easiest time. Pay attention to the whole spectrum of success. There are people on this forum who lose very slowly yet have lost a great deal of weight ... and I think it's rare of these folks not to maintain easily. And that is the point of all this, right?

It's so frustrating, especially when we work so hard and don't see the quick results we deserve. But don't give up!

It'll be worth it in a year when you've dropped many pants sizes ... it'll be worth it at your next checkup and your doctor says your blood pressure is lower ... it'll be worth it when you realize that this is the WOE that actually will help you lose lots of weight and gives you a realistic way of keeping it off.

You can do this!

BTW, here's a link to the stalls / plateau article they keep here on the forum. Hope this helps!

Best of luck to you.

BabyPhat Tue, Aug-03-04 22:30

I don't think 16 lbs. is something to sneeze at.. take 16 1lb weights, or 16 16 oz. soda bottles and place them in a trash bag... try walking around with that trash back all day.... that is what you have lost... and that is alot... I am sure you didn't gain your weight quickly, so you can not expect to lose it quickly....

slow and steady wins the race, or should I say marathon

BabyPhat Tue, Aug-03-04 22:31

PS. you have done very well.... be happy for yourself

kenkobiz Wed, Aug-04-04 04:48

Welcome!!!

When I first started on Jan 12th of this year I lost about as much as you have and then hit a stall. By the 8 week mark I was still only down about 18lbs - but after that it started melting and I didn't hit another stall until I had lost over 60 lbs. It will come off - just give it enough time. Remember - it didn't appear overnight.....

Marebear Wed, Aug-04-04 06:12

Welcome to the TDC Forum!! :wave:

You have done great in 8 weeks! Everyone loses at different rates (I'm one of the slow ones :lol: ) so please hang in there and I'm sure the scale will move eventually.

Mary

dianna9234 Wed, Aug-04-04 10:58

thanks everyone

i wanted to pop back in here and tell everyone how thankful and happy I am, there are ppl out there who do want others to do well. I am not 'normally' a mussy person, but i sat here teary-eyed while reading the replies you all sent me.. I am going to stick with it.. for sure..
okay.. lets see.. a typical day menu
yesterday
2 eggs (scrambled with Pam)

1/4 # hamburger patty(grilled)
2 slices cheese

1/4 c, LC ice cream

1/2 c. green beans
2 broccoli stalks (not the flowers)
baked pork roast

9 glasses of water

day before
Slim-Fast "shake"

1 LC mint (russel Stovers)

large salad (2 c. romaine, 1/2 fresh spinach, 2 pinches grated cheese, 2 turkey slices chopped, LC dressing (sometimes I will add an egg and/or 1/2 of a tomato also), cauliflower)

1 grilled pork steak with 1 TBS LC A-1 sauce

7 glass of water

day before

2 scrambled eggs w/ chirizo

salad (as above)

2 beef fajitas with LC tortilla (sour cream and home-made guacamole and salsa
1 Diet-Rite Raspberry Soda

8 glasses of water

SOOOOO.... yes!.. i would love to know what I am doing wrong, and how to break out of this stall..
thanks in advance....

dianna

DeeUK Wed, Aug-04-04 13:18

Welcome,

You will find lots to help you here.

Dee

diemde Thu, Aug-05-04 21:22

It doesn't look to me like you are eating enough food, especially veggies. Try to get some veggies in with every meal if you can. Some folks have better results when they include them with breakfast too. Personally, I get better results when I eat 2 salads per day (lunch and dinner). The guideline I've seen around here is to eat no less calories than 85% of your BMR.

Also, it's better to eat more small meals throughout the day, instead of 3. I just read an interesting article in Hers magazine. New research indicates you shouldn't go below 300 calories deficit throughout the day if you want to keep your muscle mass. The more muscles you have the more energy you use. They also found that the folks who lost the most body fat ate 5-6 small meals per day rather than 3.

If you can log your foods for a few days at fitday.com, you can see what percentage of protein, fats and carbs you are getting. That is very helpful. You want to aim for 5% carbs, 65-70% fat and the rest in protein.

Good luck!

Tanikova Fri, Aug-06-04 04:48

Menus

First I would use real butter to scramble the eggs not pam.... and I also agree with diemde, I think you need to work more veggies in with your meals... maybe another salad with dinner or a good serving or more of other veggies... maybe adding sauteed mushrooms and green peppers to your morning eggs. Also, while it does not seem like you are eating a lot of LC sweets or products, some people are very sensitive to them and it will produce a stall... so I would experiment with it...

I also agree about the fitday site... it has helped me identify problems and make adjustments to my menus... I have found if I don't eat on average 1500-1700 calories a day I stall... I am sure that figure will reduce as I lose weight, though if I build up my exersise maybe by not that much... :wave: :wave: