Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Vegemite (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186170)

IwillLose Sat, May-22-04 15:00

Vegemite

I was in Australia and saw this everywhere! I really don't know what it is, but at our hotel, they had little packets of it by the toast. I grabbed a couple, swearing that I would try it sometime. Is it lc? What do you do with it besides put it on bread?

LondonIan Sat, May-22-04 15:56

I'd suggest throwing it down the toilet and buying marmite.

mcsblues Sun, May-23-04 05:45

Oooh...thems fighting words in this corner of the forum!

Vegemite like the inferior Marmite is fairly low carb yeast extract, but unfortuantely the best way to have it is on hot buttered toast - so perhaps you should save it for a low carb loaf. It is especially useful after a 'night on the tiles', but there are other ways to replenish vitamin B (so I have been told).

Cheers,

Malcolm

trixieb68 Sun, May-23-04 07:03

mcsblues is right - vegemite is one of our national icons, so please be kind! True, it's not to everyone's taste (it is similar to Marmite), but to aussie's who have been brought up on it, it's absolutely delish on hot buttered toast - although as mcsblues says, that's a little hard when you're on a low carb diet. I don't know the carb count, but it has such a strong flavour you really only need a thin scraping of it. So, if you do have a bread meal, try some - 19 million aussie's can't all be wrong!

mishimc Sun, May-23-04 23:09

I too have grown up with Vegemite and love it on hot buttered toast. It is also yummy as a spread with cheese and lettuce. I do think it is an acquired taste - one that is very hard to describe. I took some with me on holiday to US and not one person I offered to liked it at all. That was no worries - all the more for me and I must say it is far nicer than Marmite! Jean

LondonIan Mon, May-24-04 03:10

AH, now this is something I can get my teeth into: Vegemite or Marmite. I feel a flame war coming on :)

Marmite is, of course, made in heaven. Vegemite is some kind of misbeggoten imitation :)

dazzlin182 Mon, May-24-04 04:21

i eat vegemite every now and then. used to hate it till i read somewhere on how it helps to *blank* ...something hmm...shooott i cant remember what it was. ill post details later (the book's at home)

dazzlin182 Mon, May-24-04 04:26

hehe hope its okay to post this but vegemite is better than marmite...ive tried both (cuz someone made me!)

IwillLose Mon, May-24-04 04:51

Well, I tried a little on some low carb buttered toast today. Sorry to dissapoint, but it must be an acquired taste. GROSS.

dazzlin182 Mon, May-24-04 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillLose
GROSS

lol that was exactly the word i said first time i tried it years ago. taste not so bad these days prolly cuz ive used to it lol. havent eatin it like 2-3 months now.

LondonIan Mon, May-24-04 10:29

OK - switch sides. Its now not marmite versus vegemite. ITs marmite AND vegemite versus the pagans.

Have you any IDEA how many marmite posts there are on this forum?

mcsblues Mon, May-24-04 16:19

LOL Aussies and Poms together? - how can that work?

I think the pagans have a slight disadvantage of not being weaned onto Vegemite as all children should be of course.

And Poms can blame their parents for not knowing any better! :lol:

Cheers,

Malcolm

LondonIan Mon, May-24-04 16:30

Quote:
LOL Aussies and Poms together? - how can that work?

Easy, we gang up on the Canadians. Then when we need to, we get the Canadians in and gang up on the Americans.

I think there is a Swedish member. Boy, are they in trouble.

Lobstergal Mon, May-24-04 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
Easy, we gang up on the Canadians. Then when we need to, we get the Canadians in and gang up on the Americans.

I think there is a Swedish member. Boy, are they in trouble.

Too late. You've been *discovered*. LOL.

zedgirl Sat, May-29-04 18:02

Funniest thing I ever saw…….I was on a tour to the Dandenongs in Victoria and part of the trip was to stop for morning tea and try Australian ‘delicacies’ like billy tea, lamingtons and vegemite. Anyway there were a few Americans on the tour and they were asking questions about vegemite…….like what do you do with it…how do you eat it etc. I said it’s an acquired taste and all Australians are virtually brought up on it like Americans are on peanut butter. When she tried some on a SAO cracker I thought she was going to throw up……..the look on her face was priceless!! She ended up spitting it into a serviette.
I once had an American boss and he described the taste as “like rotten vegetables”. Can’t vouch for that as I’ve never eaten rotten vegetables before!

henrie Sat, May-29-04 19:12

I use Vegemite to flavour soups and stews etc. as it has only 1Carb per tsp, which is a lot of Vegemite.

ferelannie Thu, Jun-10-04 04:43

try a smeer of vegemite with avocado - YUM

sambalam Tue, Jun-15-04 23:45

when i was in the states my friends made me try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which i thought was disgusting. so i returned the favour and made them have a vegemite samdnwich, i knew they would hate it because it isn't sweet at all and i was right. they couldn't believe i relished it so much. it is low carb and i spread it on cheese if i can't have toast!

oh and i hate marmite and promite! bleck.

Logan Wed, Jun-16-04 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillLose
Well, I tried a little on some low carb buttered toast today. Sorry to dissapoint, but it must be an acquired taste. GROSS.

oh well just as well...it's so ironic for those of us that love it that it only really goes on toast with melted butter...mmmmmmmm :yum:

that said i've been known to just eat a small scoop of vegemite and butter...no toast. :lol:

feather Sun, Jun-20-04 16:17

Who'se got a photo of themselves or their kids, in a highchair at around 6 mos with marmite/vegemite all over their face, and bread squished in their fist?? Maybe you need to be weaned on it to acquire the taste.
Do you do cheese and marmite, and marmite and chippy sandwhiches in OZ as well. (I mean before you started LCing).

LondonIan Sun, Jun-20-04 16:45

Cheese and marmite....<drool>. Damn, this makes me miss toast.
Just remembered, you can stir in into a soft boiled egg!

TarHeel Sun, Jun-20-04 16:52

I'm an American and definitely love marmite though was not weaned on it. Sorry to say that I can't tell the difference between marmite and vegemite.....I love both on avocado.

A lovely savory food in my opinion. I prefer savory to sweet.

Must try it on cheese,

Kay

MichaelG Fri, Jun-25-04 07:41

Funny about national tastes. One of the most popular Austrailan chocolate bars is "Cherry Ripe" which is like a thin, dark chocolate "bounty bar" filled with a dark pink cherry flavoured coconut mixture. I took a heap of them to England and the usual result was a look of shocked disgust. On the other hand there are English delicacies such as "Caramac", a sort of caramel flavoured chocolate that cause Aussies to vomit on the spot, cheers for regional differences!

Michael
Australia

amarlyn Fri, Jun-25-04 08:18

OMG how can anyone not like cherryripes if I carb binged the first on food on the list would be a cherryripe....*shaking head*
uneducated palletes that must be it. Vegimite with cheese, delish and on vitaweat with butter and squish.....all those childhood memories.

Sharon

feather Mon, Jun-28-04 04:08

:agree: especially when it squooshes through the holes. It's pretty good on weetbix too. But alas no more.

dazzlin182 Mon, Jun-28-04 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
I love both on avocado.
my friend did eat it with avocado stuff but i never tried it before. had tried on cheese and its not bad at all.

princess_K Mon, Jun-28-04 17:03

Vegemite is good used to flavour food you are cooking.. especially if you are slow cooking.. My father use to put it into my daughters potatos when she was a baby..
Vegemite though is so much nicer than marmite..

lizzylaw Mon, Jun-28-04 23:46

I like cheese smeared with vegemite, then smothered in cream cheese....

You can get caramac in England??

Lizzy Lawrence

MichaelG Wed, Jul-28-04 21:16

Caramac was still available in 2000 when I was over there, but my favourite regional taste treats (pure carb of course) in England are the soft drinks Tizer and also Dandelion & Burdock.

You can't really describe the taste. Tizer is a bit like 7-up gone wickedly wrong and is an off-urine colour, and Dandelion & Burdock is something like what Americans would call root beer, whilst leaning towards a more delicate sarsaparilla flavour. Any expatriate pom who takes a sip of either is instantly seven years old again and has been known to burst into tears.

Back on Subject we also have at least 2 other Vegemite type foods in Aus, "Promite" and a new one which actually has national TV ads called "MightyMite". Haven't tried either and don't intend to.

Cheers
Michael

Angeliene Sat, Jul-31-04 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
OK - switch sides. Its now not marmite versus vegemite. ITs marmite AND vegemite versus the pagans.

Have you any IDEA how many marmite posts there are on this forum?

Lol ok I am a Pagan and proud of it, :p and i dont like marmite and I LOVE vegemite its yummy and i just so happen to have a jar right here, well i got it from the fridge, and the total carbs are 1.0g for a 5g serv and you wouldnt even use that much for a piece of toast.

VEGEMITE RULES! giggles :D