Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   heartburn on atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185970)

skytrance Fri, May-21-04 09:57

heartburn on atkins

ever since i started i have been getting terrible heartburn..has this happened to anyone else?

nowonder Fri, May-21-04 09:59

No, this is not common. Can you post a daily menu, maybe we can pick up a trouble spot? Perhaps you aren't getting enough water?

--nw

scorpio381 Fri, May-21-04 10:01

Everything I've ever read here says people have much less heartburn on LC. I've never been bothered with it personally.

bizzarrea Fri, May-21-04 10:06

Personally, my heartburn almost completely stopped! I used to get it 4 - 5 times a day!

Pandora23 Fri, May-21-04 10:06

Maybe there are certain veggies or spices that are causing it for you. Are you eating any fruits yet, I knwo strawberries give my sister really bad heartburn. Maybe you should see your doctor about this.

MyJourney Fri, May-21-04 10:18

my heartburn totally stopped too. not sure what you are eating.

skytrance Fri, May-21-04 10:35

well the only thing i can think of, is i am putting a cesar and garlic dressing on my salads...could that be it??

TAXGURU Fri, May-21-04 10:36

I have to agree with the others. The Heart-burn is history for me. Before LCing, I used pepcid 3 to 4 times a week. I have been doing Atkins for Four Months and have only used one pepcid pill and that was during the first week during induction.

mssusthang Fri, May-21-04 10:40

I get heartburn ... always have. But I will say that I do get it a lot less. Normally only when I eat a lot of food and my stomach is too full.

My dad and his mother have the same type of stomach so I got it from his side of the family.

lynneuk Fri, May-21-04 10:48

Before LC I had heartburn every night. From day one of LCing I"ve never had it again!
I'm sorry, I know this doesn't help you but that is my experience.
Post your usual menu and someone may be able to help.
Good luck.

iwill Fri, May-21-04 10:56

I too have occasional heartburn, but it's not nearly as bad as before going low carb.

dragnlady Fri, May-21-04 11:01

I had to take Prilosec everyday, but since starting on the program, I havent even had to take my meds? its something your eating or you had a underlying problem to begin with? check with your doctor!

DietSka Fri, May-21-04 15:28

I stopped taking my heartburn meds about 2 days into LC-ing. Then about 3 months into it I started feeling it creeping back on me so I started paying more attention to what I eat. I've noticed that too much sour cream does it for me, as do some LC sweets. I cut back on those and I've been fine ever since.

shipto Fri, May-21-04 18:08

Mine stopped for a while but I did get it a few times when I was having some strawberries but it seems to have stopped again.
now that i think about it it stopped again when I upped my fat intake <ponders>.

patricia52 Fri, May-21-04 18:31

I was on prescription medication for heartburn and acid reflux, and I've been able to stop taking the pills since I started Atkins. However, I've been taking Oil of Oregano this week and I've noticed a little heartburn in the afternoon.

cucu Fri, May-21-04 21:02

Well I started Atkins a month and a week ago and I didn’t had any Heartburn or Constipation before I started the diet, I was only eating veggies (that could be the reason). But then I started the diet and wow… heartburns, bloated, constipation, a mess, I waited as it seemed that the first weeks you could have few unexpected changes.. but since it wasn’t getting any better, someone told me to stop all dairy products at once.. wow that was like impossible (since I adore cheese).

Anyway I did it and in 3 days it got totally clear. I continue very well for another 3 weeks, my digestion was perfect and then 2 days ago I added more “coconut oil” to my food at the same time I added like 4 Raw garlic cloves to my salads, wow I am in major pain…back again to the heartburn. I blame it to the “Raw Garlic”. I have done some investigations and they say some people are just sensitive to garlic once they cut all the old carbs from the diet. You could stop both and see how you react in 2 or 3 days.

I also have this theory that once you have this heartburn you won’t recover soon if you keep adding a lot of fat, so you might take it easy on the fat for one or two days. Or at least eat the right fats, what cooking oil are you using, some oils in hi-temp, just become toxic to your body and won’t allow your Heartburn to cure or I also found that the coconut oil (perfect choice for cooking) since is saturated is not helping "at this point" to recover from my heartburn.. I might need to help the stomach recover and then add again the fats..

This is like a game of “trial and error” until you get it right for you, I am sure the cheese just won't work for me as so it seems garlic won't either...
good luck, cucu

MeltingFst Fri, May-21-04 22:58

Mine has cleared up since starting Atkins. If I do run into a problem, I can usually narrow it down to dairy.

lissame Sat, May-22-04 00:08

My hearburn cleared up completely after starting Atkins. I was going along wonderfully when you can imagine my shock at a sudden bout of it... the culprit? Cucumbers. Go figure. I avoid them like the plague now and BOOM - gone again. :D Spaghetti sauce, caffiene, and chocolate are other evil foods for me. Dam!

pookalee Sat, May-22-04 09:31

I have not had any heartburn problems on Atkins since last August, them bam! today, my old stomach ulcer pain returned. I ate bacon, eggs, and a 1/4 cup cottage cheese (added the cottage cheese for a few preworkout carbs). And its just now starting to ease after an hour and 2 pepcids. I think we all have "trigger" foods that get our bodies upset. I think I just discovered that bacon doesnt like me too much. (plus I cooked my eggs in the bacon grease, and oh, did I mention I had sausage last night, duh, and I wonder why I am in pain :))