Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   How do you take oil of oregano? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=174445)

elmuyloco5 Tue, Mar-23-04 12:41

How do you take oil of oregano?

How can you take this stuff????? OMG that is the worst tasting stuff ever!!!!!!My mouth is still burning!!!! OMG I can't express how bad this is!!!! You must have an iron stomach....or dead taste buds.....

Wow....I give you all credit just if you've tried this....much more if you do it again. I don't care what it does to you.....you must really want it to take that stuff. I for one....will just work harder....that's not worth it.

bekkers Tue, Mar-23-04 12:51

Did you use the gel caplets? I really don't think they have any tase at all...

LadyBelle Tue, Mar-23-04 13:02

I also use the nice small gel caps with no taste......

I learned after trying to tolerate high tonolin flax oil that somethings are just not worth swollowing strait. The cinnimon flax was really good, but gave me heartburn.

eddiesgirl Tue, Mar-23-04 13:05

you should really try the gelcaps...you can get them at most nutrional stores...like GNC. The capsules are real small and have no taste at all.

scorpio381 Tue, Mar-23-04 13:05

I also take the softgels. No bad taste at all.

Lindym Tue, Mar-23-04 13:07

I couldn't stand the taste either, so I bought small gel caps to put the drops into because the drops are more economical.

elmuyloco5 Tue, Mar-23-04 13:08

I'm definately doing that! I can't imagine 4 little drops of something could taste so vile!!! I'll have to save it for a torture device :lol: just kidding!!! That stuff really is awful. Thanks guys!!!

black57 Tue, Mar-23-04 13:11

I use the drops and I wash it down with tons of water and the awful taste is very brief. It seems to be a breath freshener.

bonesigh Tue, Mar-23-04 13:13

How does one take oil of oregano in liquid form? With great difficulty! LOL
I had some of the liquid OOO, and was determined to finish the little bottle. Well, I'm done! Now I'm taking the little gel caplets. Much better. :)

elmuyloco5 Tue, Mar-23-04 13:14

BLack57: you are quite a person to take that stuff. I tried it with water....my mouth kept burning....and I can't get the smell off my hands. It's like oregano times a million!!! It's just too much for me. It's one instance where a little is definately too much!!! Good for you though!!! You have something I definately don't!

black57 Tue, Mar-23-04 13:16

I put it under my tongue and I try really hard not to get it on my lips. The water is a big help though.

B57

miezimau Tue, Mar-23-04 15:19

Katrina,
Please let me know if you find the OOO in Gel caps here on Oahu. The only place I found it in caps is at the Down to Earth by the Anne Millers and they wanted 23 dollars for it. I checked the GNC at Pearl Harbor and they don't carry it neither does the Hickam GNC. Thanks

elmuyloco5 Tue, Mar-23-04 15:27

I think I saw them at Vitamin World in Weikele. You can go on their website at vitaminworld.com and check. They're over in that outlet store area across from Lowes. I got the oil because flaxseed oil is much more potent in liquid than the gel caps....I got the gel caps ooops. So I figured these would be too.

I think I'm allergic to it or something. I'm getting super dizzy and my face is beat red. I just feel crummy. Won't be using them at all!!!

teresamay Tue, Mar-23-04 15:30

I also take the softgels, and there is no taste at all - a bit of burping, but that is it.

AFwife Tue, Mar-23-04 15:31

I take 2 drops in water twice a day.

Don't even notice the flavor anymore. I'm doing 2 wks on 2 wks off. Tomorrow is end of my first 2 wks on.

I lost 10 pounds in the first 3 days of taking this.

Then 2 more pounds last week.

boomergirl Tue, Mar-23-04 16:10

Is this supposed to help with weight loss?

elmuyloco5 Tue, Mar-23-04 17:12

I got super dizzy a few hours after taking this, red face, just felt yucky.....I laid down for about an hour. I feel better now. Is this a normal reaction to this stuff??? I'd like to take the pills if they'd help....but I don't want to hurt myself either.

miezimau Tue, Mar-23-04 17:19

You know I read on the Website that if you experience a heat sensation that this is a normal reaction, but I don't know about the red face?

KristyC Tue, Mar-23-04 19:24

Yes, it is supposed to help with weight loss by speeding up the metabolism, I think, and getting rid of excess yeast.

I take the capsules (150 mg) and take 3 per day. I took my first 2 weeks of it and am now off of it for 2 weeks. I'll start again once the 2 weeks off are up.

black57 Tue, Mar-23-04 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomergirl

I read where some credit it with breaking stalls.

B57

Lindym Wed, Mar-24-04 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomergirl

You might find info here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=167955&page=1

Just be ready for a REAL long read:)

Auburn2932 Wed, Mar-24-04 07:27

Better to buy on the internet, that is where I got mine, much cheaper than GNC where they wanted about 26 dollars for them. no way..............Just type in oregano gel caps in Google or Yahoo and check out the sites for cheapest prices.

dekdahl Tue, Sep-28-04 13:13

No offense, but is there a Reader's Digest version of the Oil of Oregano ~ & A's?

adkpam Wed, Sep-29-04 09:28

First of all, I take mine diluted in olive oil, which is much safer. This is potent stuff. I think people who have the strong reactions are taking the full strength stuff, and I don't think it's a good idea. I get a little warmth at first, but NO BURNING. I think that's a good idea. So, if you have getting a bad reaction, try moderating your dose. I use 1 part OoO to 4 parts olive oil, per the Wolfe Clinic.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

In brief:

Oil of Oregano is a potent anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti viral, and anti infection substance. If you have problems with yeast, it can kill the yeast, but may create "die-off" symptoms, kind of like flu. Backing off the dose until it is killing yeast at a level where your body can get rid of the toxins is the recommended way to handle these symptoms.

Unless you are sensitive/allergic to it, it doesn't seem to have any other side effects. I can't say it made me lose weight, exactly, since I was already working on a somewhat indulgent summer. Nor did I have any yeast problems that I knew of. However, it did WONDERS for my rosecea, and I added 4 full strength drops to my shampoo, and it cleared up a little bit of flakes, so I am a believer.

Also, I had taken two full courses of antibiotics this summer, and OoO got my missing energy back. I think it's a great tonic, but I would take it for the complexion situation alone.

Most sources recommend two weeks on, two weeks off.

dekdahl Thu, Sep-30-04 07:16

Want to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
First of all, I take mine diluted in olive oil, which is much safer. This is potent stuff. I think people who have the strong reactions are taking the full strength stuff, and I don't think it's a good idea. I get a little warmth at first, but NO BURNING. I think that's a good idea. So, if you have getting a bad reaction, try moderating your dose. I use 1 part OoO to 4 parts olive oil, per the Wolfe Clinic.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

In brief:

Oil of Oregano is a potent anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti viral, and anti infection substance. If you have problems with yeast, it can kill the yeast, but may create "die-off" symptoms, kind of like flu. Backing off the dose until it is killing yeast at a level where your body can get rid of the toxins is the recommended way to handle these symptoms.

Unless you are sensitive/allergic to it, it doesn't seem to have any other side effects. I can't say it made me lose weight, exactly, since I was already working on a somewhat indulgent summer. Nor did I have any yeast problems that I knew of. However, it did WONDERS for my rosecea, and I added 4 full strength drops to my shampoo, and it cleared up a little bit of flakes, so I am a believer.

Also, I had taken two full courses of antibiotics this summer, and OoO got my missing energy back. I think it's a great tonic, but I would take it for the complexion situation alone.

Most sources recommend two weeks on, two weeks off.

I really want to try it but don't have time for the 110+ pages of opinions/facts. Wild is best? Liquid is best? Price_________ is best? Help!

Ginga Thu, Sep-30-04 07:52

I gave some to my 15yr old son because he felt a cold coming on. He came back the next day wanting more because he had so much energy, his face cleared up and the little rash on his foot was going away. I, myself had severe die off symptons. Maybe I'll try again when I'm not so busy and have more time to sleep.

Kristine Thu, Sep-30-04 08:44

Quote:
I really want to try it but don't have time for the 110+ pages of opinions/facts.

Uh... well, all of us have had different experiences with it, so the facts you're seeking really aren't here. It has never been promoted as a weight loss aid and there's been no research touting it as such. *If* you have yeast issues, and it's stalling your weight loss efforts, it can help. But it's not going to solve a problem you don't have.

I took it and didn't lose a single pound - but my acne went into complete dormancy, so I'm still taking it. Another 'but': I was taking it with Udo's Choice supplemental oil, which is a mixture of flax and other oils. Good ratios of EFAs is also known to help acne, so it might not have been the OOO at all. Someone else here credited OOO for their weight loss and acne, but they were taking OOO with flax oil. So be skeptical when you're reading all this self-reporting.

lowcarbie Mon, Oct-24-05 13:14

Oil Of Oregano

I can't believe so many of you here, complain about your aches, pains, brain fog etc. But when others offer you a cure, you complain about the awful taste of the herb! Complaining about the cost of the product and then stop taking it after a few days. Oh and to hell with the benefits, "if I can't loose weight, the oil of oregano is not working for me". If you're overweight, the odds are you have other health problems too. Maybe some of you just aren't ready to be healthy. You want to really cleanse your system? Plan on feeling like crap for a few days. I take an entire dropper of oil, that's 1.0 ml. 3x per day. Is it burning my tongue, do I want to gag? Yes but those side affects won't stop me from taking it and getting well. After three days, my brain fog lifted, my sense of smell returned, I have energy, my muscles and joints stopped aching. Coughing and runny nose have subsided. Stop complaining and swallow it by the dropper, it works.

thenicestp Mon, Oct-24-05 14:52

i take the oo in capsul form from my health food store and i dont seem to have any problems infact everyone was sick at my house and i started taking it again and didnt get it

browniz30 Mon, Oct-24-05 15:31

I aslo take the gel caps (150 mg) just one a day!!! I do not take it for weight loss however, I do take it for other health benefits ie.. wording off colds and helping with allergies!! when everyone starts to get sick in my house or if I start to feel something comming on,,,I up the dose to 3x a day and I havent been sick in a while!!!! I used to be sick every time I turned around...now, since taking OOO,I have only had a cold (minor,for 3 days!!) I love this stuff and will never go with out it again!!!!