Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PCRM: LC Dieters' fatigue similar to chemotherapy side effects (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171758)

gotbeer Tue, Mar-09-04 17:33

PCRM: LC Dieters' fatigue similar to chemotherapy side effects

Doctor's statement in Mayo Clinic Proceedings reveals dark side of low-carb diets

Dieters' fatigue similar to chemotherapy side effects

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...r-dsl030904.php

WASHINGTON-- In its current issue, the Mayo Clinic Proceedings has published a letter explaining that the reason low-carb dieters often lose weight and sometimes show improvements in their cholesterol, blood sugars, and blood pressures is because they are, in essence, sickened by the diet. John McDougall, M.D., an advisory board member of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), explains in his letter that low-carb diets can throw people into a metabolic state called ketosis that also occurs during severe illness. This diet-induced condition resembles the common side effects of cancer chemotherapy with fatigue, nausea, and loss of appetite for many people.

People on low-carb diets who become ill enough to experience loss of appetite are taking in less fat and cholesterol, since they are consuming less food overall. It is this same mechanism that results in cholesterol levels falling in cancer patients; however, no doctor brags about weight loss and lower cholesterol caused by the toxic drugs used in chemotherapy.

Numerous studies show that many high-fat, low-carbohydrate dieters risk clogged arteries, heart attack, colon cancer, and kidney failure. Studies also show that even one fatty meal can increase the risk of a cardiac event immediately following the meal.

"A better approach," states Dr. McDougall, "is to encourage people to eat foods that promote both ideal body weight and health--those from a high–complex carbohydrate, low-fat diet. You can see this for yourself when you look at various populations worldwide. For example, people living mostly on high-carbohydrate rice and vegetable dishes in Asia are trim throughout their lives with almost no risk of heart disease, diabetes or our common cancers."

###
For an interview with Dr. McDougall, or a copy of the letter appearing in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, please contact Jeanne S. McVey at 202-686-2210, ext. 316, or jeannem~pcrm.org.

Dodger Tue, Mar-09-04 17:42

This is the ultimate junk science.

CindySue48 Tue, Mar-09-04 17:43

WOW they're really grasping now! Sad, isn't it?

ysabella Tue, Mar-09-04 17:50

Golly gee whiz

I'm so impressed that the Mayo Clinic journal printed a letter to the editor with all these dubious claims in it! They must all be true!

And if you write your press release just right, it makes it sound almost like the Mayo Clinic actually agrees with this fallacious crap, isn't that fun? It's a way of borrowing some of the illustrious fame of the Mayo Clinic to push your own brand of made-up nutrition theories!

Index of this month's Mayo Clinic Proceedings.

tamarian Tue, Mar-09-04 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
For an interview with Dr. McDougall, or a copy of the letter appearing in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, please contact Jeanne S. McVey at 202-686-2210, ext. 316, or jeannem~pcrm.org.

And they're wondering why no one is interested in interviewing him, they need to advertise the "opportunity" :)

Wa'il

Nancy LC Tue, Mar-09-04 19:22

McDougall is another low fat diet doctor who published a book and I believe he had a radio show that was popular for quite some time.

K Walt Tue, Mar-09-04 21:00

The spartan fat-free diet gurus are having a hard time selling books nowadays, so they're getting desperate. They had their heyday as gods and paragons, but they're out of fashion.

Do you REALLY think Dr. McDoGood is so very concerned with our health? Does he lie awake at night worrying about us?

Or is he worried about his bank account, and his whole world view.

Think how exasperating and scary life must be for the PCRM dolts like Ornish, and Barnard, and MacDougall. It's the ultimate nightmare. What they ALWAYS hoped to be true simply isn't true. And the world is changing around them.

Nobody is buying their views, their books, or their nonsense. It must be VERY unsettling for them to be so ignored, and so out of favor.

JL53563 Thu, Mar-11-04 09:38

Fatigue??? I have more energy than ever and require less sleep than before LC.

Wuchtamsel Fri, Mar-12-04 05:08

It gets harder and harder to trust medical authoroties.

:wiggle: But maybe I will stop my severe "illness"-diet and get fat and healthy again...

ewert Fri, Mar-12-04 06:08

PCRM != medical authority.

PCRM = nutty group of PETA affiliates

Just so you know. :)

PaulaB Fri, Mar-12-04 09:42

If low carbing leaves you with no energy explain this. On Wednesday at 11 pm I was at work (normally an 8 hour shift) I was asked to stay on untill 11 am (a 12 hour shift) at about 10am thursday morning I was asked to stay on untill 3 pm in the afternoon. I went home and was back at work at 11pm for the last night shift of the week. So with no energy and being like someone on chemotherapy I was able to do a 16 hour shift followed, with a gap of 8 hours, a normal 8 hour shift.

Angeline Fri, Mar-12-04 10:44

Well actually you have no energy but because your brain is deprived of those crucial carbohydrates, you are mad and only think you have energy. You should expect to have an "Alien" moment soon with your body caving in itself from the calcium depletion and your kidneys exploding out of your body. The only good news is that no one will be around to witness such an horrific event because you will have driven away all your friends and family with your overpowering B.O.

Kristine Fri, Mar-12-04 10:50

But that will only occur if you don't develop instantaneous artereosclerosis and succumb to an MI on the third day of induction.

ellemenno Fri, Mar-12-04 13:28

Related article (almost exactly the same, even!):

Low-carb diets make you sick

ANI[ WEDNESDAY, MARCH 10, 2004 10:21:09 PM ]

WASHINGTON: A long-time myth remains shattered. Thanks to new research which reveals that low-carb dieters manage to lose weight and show perceptible change in their levels of cholesterol, blood sugars, and blood pressures, because they are absolutely sickened by it.

In the current issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, John McDougall, an advisory board member of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), explains that low-carb diets can throw people into a metabolic state called ketosis, that also occurs during severe illness. This diet-induced condition resembles the common side effects of cancer chemotherapy with fatigue, nausea, and loss of appetite for many people.

He further observes that people on low-carb diets who become ill enough to experience loss of appetite are taking in less fat and cholesterol, because they are consuming less food overall.

Although the same mechanism results in cholesterol levels falling in cancer patients, no doctor brags about weight loss and lower cholesterol caused by the toxic drugs used in chemotherapy.

Numerous studies reveal that many high-fat, low-carbohydrate dieters risk clogged arteries, heart attack, colon cancer, and kidney failure. Experiments also reveal that even one fatty meal can increase the risk of a cardiac event immediately following the meal.

"A better approach is to encourage people to eat foods that promote both ideal body weight and health--those from a high-complex carbohydrate, low-fat diet. You can see this for yourself when you look at various populations worldwide," McDougall said.

People living mostly on high-carbohydrate rice and vegetable dishes in Asia are trim throughout their lives with almost no risk of heart disease, diabetes or our common cancers, he went on to say.

ellemenno Fri, Mar-12-04 13:33

And another:

Doctors attack 'benefits' of low-carb diets

- 10/03/2004 - The reason low-carb dieters often lose weight and sometimes show improvements in their cholesterol, blood sugars, and blood pressures is because they are, in essence, sickened by the diet, writes a doctor in a science journal published this week.

John McDougall, an advisory board member of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), explains in his letter to this month's Mayo Clinic Proceedings (vol 79, no 3, p431) that low-carb diets can result in a metabolic state called ketosis that also occurs during severe illness, resembling the common side effects of cancer chemotherapy such as fatigue, nausea, and loss of appetite. People on low-carb diets who become ill enough to experience loss of appetite are taking in less fat and cholesterol, since they are consuming less food overall. It is this same mechanism that results in cholesterol levels falling in cancer patients, he suggests.

The low-carb Atkins diet has seen a strong following in the UK over recent months, with an estimated 3 million people changing to the regime to lose weight. Although some suspect it is merely a fad, the diet has stolen sales from other weight management products in North America, including the leading brand SlimFast.

There is rapid development of ‘low-carb’ brands in the US, with some of these making recent entries to the UK.

However nutritionists and medical experts continue to debate the health aspects of the diet, with many citing evidence to show that high-fat, low-carbohydrate dieters risk clogged arteries, heart attack, colon cancer, and kidney failure. Studies also show that even one fatty meal can increase the risk of a cardiac event immediately following the meal, says Dr McDougall.

"A better approach is to encourage people to eat foods that promote both ideal body weight and health--those from a high–complex carbohydrate, low-fat diet,” he said.

“For example, people living mostly on high-carbohydrate rice and vegetable dishes in Asia are trim throughout their lives with almost no risk of heart disease, diabetes or our common cancers."

Angeline Fri, Mar-12-04 13:36

Quote:
Numerous studies reveal that many high-fat, low-carbohydrate dieters risk clogged arteries, heart attack, colon cancer, and kidney failure. Experiments also reveal that even one fatty meal can increase the risk of a cardiac event immediately following the meal.

Oh yeah ? Show me even just one. Oh that's right you can't, cause they aren't any.

as my DH would say. liar liar pants on fire .....

K Walt Fri, Mar-12-04 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenno
And another:

Doctors attack 'benefits' of low-carb diets

“For example, people living mostly on high-carbohydrate rice and vegetable dishes in Asia are trim throughout their lives with almost no risk of heart disease, diabetes or our common cancers."

Not so, doc.

"In both rural and urban China, the majority of deaths from cardiovascular disease are from stroke. . . Urban-dwelling Chinese mailes have about half the rate of heart attack of American males, but almost SIX TIMES THE RISK OF STROKE, urban-dwelling females have about three quarters the rate of heart attack of their American counterparts and almost FIVE TIMES THE RISK of STROKE.

Protein Power Lifeplan, p xvi.

Same deal in Japan. They die of strokes just as often as we die of heart attacks.

They also have about 7 times death rate from stomach cancer.

You're all wet MacDougall.

patricia52 Fri, Mar-12-04 16:33

Following his reasoning: Lo carbs create the same effect as toxic chemicals used in chemotherapy. Ergo: Lo carbs can be used to treat cancer.
Great news! When will they print that?

PoofieD Tue, Mar-30-04 15:48

So .. let me get this straight.. people are getting better by dying?? LOL
Does this even begin to make sense?

gtarent Tue, Mar-30-04 19:47

How long before someone points out that ketosis occurs in almost every person. In fact unless I am mistaken it is impossible to lose weight without creating ketones.

Kristine Tue, Mar-30-04 23:30

This thead caught my attention again because of this interesting comment from a piece that Dateline NBC did on obesity in young people: "Dr Jeff Schwimmer from Children's Hospital San Diego, made national news last year when he published a study arguing that obese children have a quality of life as low as children with cancer, undergoing chemotherapy. Dr. Schwimmer compared factors like mood, self esteem, and daily functioning."

From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4601011/

I bet Dr Schwimmer's analogy is far more accurate than that of a PCRM kook.

MyJourney Wed, Mar-31-04 08:38

That was a tough read, at least for me, Kristine... It was very emotional and tears came to my eyes a few times. I wish there was something I could do to help those kids. I can feel all their pain and suffering.

That stupid camp is starving those poor kids and setting them up for failure. They should not put 300+ Lb kids on a diet of 1200 calories for girls and 1500 for boys and give them 6+ hours of physical activities a day. Then expect them to maintain that on their own with very little family support.

Its so heartbreaking to read things like that happening to children.