Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How do you eat an Avocado? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165750)

KIDBXRS Mon, Feb-09-04 16:23

How do you eat an Avacado?

I hear a lot of you eating these. I was wondering if you all are eating these plain as a sauce are you cooking them? I know nothing about this fruit or veggie. But I always like adding new things into my diet.
I love guacomole, is it allowed? Thanks guys :yay:

believe27 Mon, Feb-09-04 16:24

Avacados are yummy sliced on top of scrambled eggs.

Aysiama Mon, Feb-09-04 16:44

I like mine just diced up and put on my salad!

christy l Mon, Feb-09-04 17:23

I cut it in half take out the seed and sprinkle a little salt on it. Then I just scoop it out with a spoon and enjoy :)

Lindym Mon, Feb-09-04 17:30

Just curious, do you count 1/2 an avocado as 1/2C, 1/2 salad or what?

Elisann Mon, Feb-09-04 17:32

I don't like them warm but they are really good in the morning with a couple of fried eggs. I just slice them up and add a little salt.

I think they would also be good mashed with a little salsa and served with "cheese chips".

orchidday Mon, Feb-09-04 17:46

You can have guacomole! Just make sure the salsa you use is low-carb and many of them are. And like someone else said, I like to just cut them in half take out the seed sprinkle with salt and eat with a spoon! I ate cooked avocado once and it was terribly gross.

Orchid

relliott1 Mon, Feb-09-04 18:16

Yep, just take one, slice it in half and remove the seed and sprinkle salt and pepper on it. If you are feeling very adventurous pour a little italian or ranch dressing in the "reservoir" left by the seed. Scoop bites out with a spoon, making sure to get a bit of dressing with each bite. Yum yum!

adkpam Mon, Feb-09-04 18:18

Shrimp or crab salad is also a good way to fill the cavity in the middle.

LadyBelle Mon, Feb-09-04 19:39

Eat plain
Guacamole
Mix 1/2 avacado with some cream cheese
Slice and put with chicken breast or mushroom swiss burger
Place tuna salad or chicken in center as suggested
Mash with the tuna salad
Add to mexican soups

reneeg1 Mon, Feb-09-04 20:05

I either put it in salad just cut up especially ceasar or i make a simple quacamole. I mash it with a clove of garlic and salt and pepper. We use this on tacos, taco salad and quesadillas.

TarHeel Mon, Feb-09-04 20:11

Buy the Hass avocados almost ripe (black and slightly soft), and be sure to keep them in the fridge. That way they'll be perfectly ripe for as long as a month or more. Once cut open, they'll turn brown quickly. Still edible, but not very appealing.

Kay

kimberlyw Tue, Feb-10-04 03:11

I put mine in a bowl with some Tabasco, salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil and maybe even a few jalapeno slices!

Oh and on top of burgers, of course!

YUM! :D

toning_up Tue, Feb-10-04 05:12

You can also fill the cavity with a simple homemade vinigarette or even a creamy dressing and eat with a teaspoon

Lez Tue, Feb-10-04 06:22

And the seed grows into a nice plant as well. But not in the cold areas.

chebbles Tue, Feb-10-04 08:03

Dont forget that splash of lemon. It simply transforms it from good to divine. Same as before, cut in half remove the stone and sprinkle with salt, just a dash of lemon before scooping it up! One of my favourite breakfasts as it is so quick!

Birddog Tue, Feb-10-04 08:11

I mash mine up with a little lc salsa and a sprinkle cheedar cheese. It great as a dip for my pork rinds. I also enjoy in cubed in my salad occationally. :yum:

NoSunNoFun Tue, Feb-10-04 09:36

***** The best thing to do with it is to put it in home made soup! ( chicken veg )
After you have made your soup add little chunks of Avo in it, it does not melt away or break down, it gets warm and smooth and is so delish in a nice warm or hot cup of soup. *****

AzureMoon Tue, Feb-10-04 09:57

Quick, excellent guacomole: mash one avocado and add 1 tbs oil oil, 1 tbs minced white onion and a tsp of salt. If you like it spicy, a few shakes of Frank's RedHot Sauce will do the trick. :)

KIDBXRS Tue, Feb-10-04 10:59

Wow thank you all so very much. This sounds wonderful I will have to get me a few this weekend. I am excited I get to add something new. You all are the best! I love this WOL. Thanks, Keisha

Fireball Tue, Feb-10-04 11:30

I eat it a few ways - diced on salads, sliced on burgers....but I also eat it out of it's shell with olive oil and a dash of cayenne. Or as a guac....my DH taught me how to make it this way. One avocado, 1 hard boiled egg - mashed together. 1 clove garlic, 1-2 tbsp finely diced onion, 1-2 tbsp olive oil, cayenne to taste, salt if you desire, splash of lemon or lime juice. Mash/mix thoroughly. It's really good - you don't even know the egg is there. DH says it's just to make the avocado go further...of course when I make the guac I eat it as is, with pork rinds, on a burger, on a salad - you name it! BTW, if you're making the guac for a party - it's one to one - on egg to one avocado.

doogieb Tue, Feb-10-04 16:15

Cool, never thought of putting egg in guac!

I made some sort-of-guac tonight by mashing avocado, adding a splash of lime juice, some hot chilli sauce and some cream cheese... yummy!

Funnily enough, after the chicken stuff I ate it with, I used a hard boiled egg to wipe up the stuff at the bottom of the bowl, and that tasted great! :)