Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weight Watchers on LC (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=157112)

badgoat Mon, Jan-05-04 11:34

Weight Watchers on LC

Looky what I got in my mailbox from WW this morning, just in time for the new year! Methinks they're annoyed b/c I've lost 50 lbs and they aren't gettin' a dime from me now. Ahhh, life is good. Even if I do drop dead tomorrow b/c my BP and cholesterol are now well within normal limits. ;)

Weight Watchers - The "Truth" about Carbs

Have at it, kids. Oh, and ladies...you're going to get kidney stones if you stay on this plan. Must be all that water we're drinking.

;)
badgoat

kyrasdad Mon, Jan-05-04 15:32

Weight Watchers should disclaim its business interest in seeing low carb diets fail when they put out this kinda information...

KDdid Mon, Jan-05-04 18:50

Let me put it this way......if there weren't a million other reasons to low carb....I did weight watchers for two weeks recently and thought I was going to starve to death. There are better ways to die....and live for that matter. So.....give me a steak any day!

cincin11 Mon, Jan-05-04 18:52

No and low carb diets they say. Which diet is no carbs. They're nuts.

Lori H Mon, Jan-05-04 20:00

Oh PUHLEEZ! If it's just a matter of cutiing calories why did I have to eat 1000 calories a day in order to lose on Weight Watchers and on Atkins I eat around 2000 a day and have lost every month that I've been on it. Also I had kidney stones years before I ever heard of Atkins. As a matter of fact, I was on Weight watchers when I had my first one. How 'bout them apples WW?

JF3 Mon, Jan-05-04 21:15

What a bunch of crap!

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/...eas&inbound=MSN

Read the "truth" about carbs at this link.

Sounds like Weight Watchers is scared.

lissy007 Mon, Jan-05-04 21:26

I don't even know what to say to the statements made by WW. I think they are a little afraid of how many people are switching from WW to LC. I'm just speechless!!!

Melissa

LadyBelle Mon, Jan-05-04 21:29

They've also put a ton of money into advertising lately. I saw my first weight watchers commercial on TV the other day.

They also offer lower carb plans now. Of course since they think fat is evil it is probably low carb and low fat, erm yeah that sounds appatising :P

Rachelle Mon, Jan-05-04 23:36

I saw the WW commercial too the other day.. that was a first...
that article is appalling!

dannysk Mon, Jan-05-04 23:52

It's funny, Weight Watchers made its name through the New York City's Board of Health diet which was pretty low carb. It even restricted carrots and tomatoes.

"People following these extreme diets ate fewer calories."
Dr. Atkins claims in his book, that people who follow his diet usually eat fewer calories, although it is not necessary, Because low-carb keeps you from being hungry longer. So they prove him right and then use it against him... A perfectly natural appetite suppressor, not produced by a drug company.. how terrible.

"The pseudo- science that's making the rounds says things like "only carbs can turn to fat," "how many calories you eat has nothing to do with what you weigh," and "carbs are bad for your health."
Sounds possible, but it's not true. Fact is, any calories eaten beyond what your body burns are stored as body fat."

The human body is not a giant vacuum where calories go in and out. It is a bit more complex, you need enzimes and hormones to acomplish even the most simple task. Carbs do not turn to fat, but you can't store any excess calories as fat without the hormone "insulin". Carbs are the major factor in producing insulin. Cut out carbs and you cut out insulin then you can't store fat no matter how many calories you ingest. (don't cut out ALL insulin it does serve some usefull purposes)

danny

badgoat Tue, Jan-06-04 10:11

I found something else intriguing about the two plans. I lost 25 lbs on each plan (then another 20-ish so far with LC). At the 25 lb mark, I was a full dress size smaller on LC than on WW. And I was being a good little low-fat/high carb robot and doing lots of cardio (no weights) on WW. Sheesh. How's that for depressing? Hungry and panting all the time. :lol:

viva LC!

badgoat

LadyBelle Tue, Jan-06-04 21:08

I was at Walmart today and saw new Weight Watchers Smart One Meals. They had "The Truth About Carbs" in bold print on the front, telling you to read the back. They also all had the total carbs listed on the front. Most of them were 9 total carbs :P

Low fat, low cal, and low carb. :P

Grimalkin Tue, Jan-06-04 22:08

Badgoat, I've noticed that too - I'm a lot smaller at this weight than when I last got here using a low fat diet. And I did a lot more extra exercise then too. Nowadays I just do my normal routines; obviously my body isn't clinging to this fat as tightly as when I did LF.

So, what is in those Smart One meals then?

MomSharon Wed, Jan-07-04 15:35

Funniest line in the article:

"With a long history of providing science-based weight-loss programs that are safe, healthy, and focused on the long term, you can count on Weight Watchers to give you sound information."

Whatever.

sknymonkey Wed, Jan-07-04 22:59

[QUOTE]"only carbs can turn to fat," "how many calories you eat has nothing to do with what you weigh," and "carbs are bad for your health."[QUOTE]

Where are they getting these quotes???? Seems like they pulled them from their a**! :bash:

LilaCotton Thu, Jan-08-04 01:09

A lot of these people get their information from the same place one of my sisters has been getting hers.....a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend........ well, you get my drift.

Ummm, let me see. I did Weight Watcher's when I was 26 years old. I lost 15 pounds over several loooonnnnng months (must've been 4-6). I was starving all of the time, had low blood sugar all of the time, felt like crap, no energy for exercise.

Now I'm 44 years old. I've been doing Atkins for a little over three months, am not hungry except when I should eat, have no low blood sugar, and am not even exercising and am STILL down 20 pounds!

Oh, by the way, I called my sister this evening and INFORMED her of the truth about Atkins. :D