Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Pat me on the back.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153786)

potatofree Fri, Dec-12-03 22:25

Pat me on the back....

I just did the unthinkable... I made a bag of popcorn for my son, and did NOT even snitch ONE kernel!!!

He needs supervision and a bit of help when he eats, so I had to sit riiiight next to it, and when those voices in the head started letting me talk myself into "just a few bites"...I did a Dr Phil on myself and talked myself out of it. I also kept my mouth occupied with some celery dipped in a little peanut butter.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Kathy54 Fri, Dec-12-03 22:34

Wow, that is a great example of self control !!!

PAT,PAT,PAT !!

petcrazed Fri, Dec-12-03 23:08

way to go!!!!! :cheer: :cheer:

:cheer:

4beans4me Sat, Dec-13-03 09:21

<pat pat pat> WTG!!:yay:

AzureMoon Sat, Dec-13-03 09:28

Good for you!

scottjan Sat, Dec-13-03 11:05

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat, Pat, Pat

judyr Sat, Dec-13-03 15:38

What a success! Breaking the "little- bites" habbit is so hard, but so important to this WOE. [sigh]

GabrielleG Sat, Dec-13-03 19:26

WoW if you are anything like me that was sooo hard to do. Popcorn is the one thing that I actualy have a hard time with. I avoid movie theaters because of it.

potatofree Sat, Dec-13-03 19:44

GabrielleG-- lets just say the BIG bags of microwave popcorn are what I consider "single serve".....and don't get me STARTED on "kettle corn"..(luckily the microwave versions suck. but I know how to make the REAL stuff...<sigh>)

verniebird Sun, Dec-14-03 09:40

I am glad to hear that you are back on track PotatoFree. I bought the Dr. Phil book a few months back but with school and work I have not even cracked the cover. I love to read your posts on how your reading has bolstered your program. One of these days I will get a chance to read the book and, hopefully, I will get as much from it as you do. But for now, I will have to be content to get my Dr Phil-isms through your posts!

DeanaJane Sun, Dec-14-03 09:54

Way to go.
What a sense of pride to know you CAN do it.

Deana

Wenzday Sun, Dec-14-03 10:00

I do this every day...and popcorn is something I LOVE and miss too...and I am sure you, like me have to make and serve MANY thngs each day and not eat... it really is more challanging...my son is addicted to popcorn and I even have to pop it for my helpless husband ;)

Congrats! :)

katwoman Sun, Dec-14-03 11:02

Don't you feel great knowing you are stronger than a kernel of popcorn? If your past eating patterns are anything like mine, in the past I had no control.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

curly Sun, Dec-14-03 12:36

congratulations! :D :hyper:

jen2losew8 Sun, Dec-14-03 14:22

Way to go! I had a similar experience last night. I was at my nephew's birthday party and his grandma had made him a chocolate cake with chocolate icing topped with caramel and Snickers Bars! Real healthy, right? Well, I told her to give me a small piece that I could share with my son. She gave me a GIGANTIC piece and I fed it to my son (well, the 3 bites he ate of it) and then I put the rest of it down, and walked away from it. Not a single little bite!

It is an awesome feeling to have that kind of control, isn't it? Wow!

JeannieM Sun, Dec-14-03 17:02

Way to go potatofree!! And Jenny -- good for you -- the Snickers topping must have been a bit tempting.

We're ALL doing GREAT!!! :yay: :yay:

Jeannie

Idabelle Sun, Dec-14-03 17:49

For years I denied myself butter, cream, nuts and all the good food we can have now. Sometimes I feel like I am in the middle of a delicious dream. Ha. Please do not wake me up! It is great to read how you have gained control of your appetite and nice to know that we can do this woe. Potatofree you are setting the pace. Thanks for sharing. You are all so encouraging!!

potatofree Sun, Dec-14-03 19:45

Isn't it great that we can all do it!

Drumroll, please... today, I passed up Potato Ole's at Taco Johns! Ususally, I have to "sample" a few when helping Steven, but today I kept my mouth busy with my Subway salad. I remembered how good they were, contemplated having ONE, then decided my progress was more important. If I'm going to go off-plan ever again, it'll be for something WONDERFUL, not junky fast food.

AzureMoon Sun, Dec-14-03 21:48

Good for you, potatofree! You are a great example for the rest of us.

There's been a clear plastic container filled with a dwindling supply of fudge in the office breakroom for the past week. It hasn't even registered on my food radar; it's just been annoying, as in "I wish they'd finish that!" so the dang box wouldn't be taking up room on the counter where I fix my lunch salads. :lol: