Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need suggestions... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=147791)

Mandra Sun, Nov-09-03 14:19

Need suggestions...

I originally posted this question on a challenge thread, but thought I'd also put it somewhere it was more likely to get noticed...

Ok I need a solution....on Friday nights I attend a class that ends around 9:30 and takes me 1 1/2 hours to get home. I have a tendency to get sleepy during the drive home, and to stay awake I would stop at the McD just as I'm leaving town (1 hour from home) order a super size meal and nibble it all the way home. I could make it last for the hour and didn't get dozy. I need something I can nibble on for an hour that is suitable for induction and eating while driving. I tried their salad with a Quarter Pounder (sans bun and ketchup) but they just didn't last.

LadyBelle Sun, Nov-09-03 14:25

You can always do a patty without the bun.

Other ideas to cook ahead and take with you
Quiche: make 1 up cut into single portions then freeze, or use muffin tins

Hard boiled egg

Scallops wrapped in bacon

A sugar free beef jerky that you really have to chew.

Also make sure you have a large bottle of ice cold water with you. Sipping consistantly on that will help to wake you up and keep you hydrated. Make the car a little chilly, and listen to some music that is far from soothing.

maryc Sun, Nov-09-03 19:03

I really like the microwaved Pepperoni. It makes them kind of crunchy and it is a nibbling food.

Wrap Sun, Nov-09-03 21:12

Instead of stopping by at McD, I would stop at nearest Grocery Store. Go to their veggie section. Buy celery sticks that come in snack packs with dips, pork rinds & a big water bottle.

Its not drive through though :p

tlawson Sun, Nov-09-03 22:44

I have to agree with the celery sticks. I have a 1.5 hour drive each way to and from work, and on the way home, the thing that stops me from cheating is my bag of celery sticks. I don't use the dip though - just munch like crazy on the celery :roll: Unless you're using that as a meal, then you'd obviously need a bit more. Maybe try bringing cut up veggies and cheese, then going through the drive through and getting a Quarter Pounder sans bun, and eat that with the veggie sticks. Should last a while - all that chomping!!!

hey_Neener Sun, Nov-09-03 23:06

I'd grab a snack of pepperoni sticks, macadamia nut mix and/or cheese sticks. They also have LC diet Swiss Miss cocoa you can mix for the road. These are all high salt, so water would also be a must. They work for me on road trips. Good luck!

Mandra Mon, Nov-10-03 06:11

Thanks! I'll try those (except the celery :Puke: :lol: ). Do you slice up the pepperoni before microwaving? We do that with chicker weiners for dog training treats. It makes little crunchy weiner puffs.

I know all the ususal "stay awake" tricks, just need something extra (for some reason, drinking doesn't do it, have to be munching something.)

maryc Mon, Nov-10-03 06:42

Mandra,

Yes you slice the pepperoni first.
I get out a plate and put a papertowel on it and lay out the slices of pepperoni on it and microwave for a few seconds, or however long it takes your microwave to make them crunchy. It is hard for me to not et bunches of them. :)

LadyBelle Mon, Nov-10-03 08:04

They may be stopping the diet swiss miss. Someone mentioned it on another thread, and when I was at the Walmart last night there wasn't any diet, just sugar free. I picked up some Fat Free Nestle which is only 5g net per cup, better then the almost 10 for sugar free Swis smiss. It is also splenda sweetened.

Ohio Kim Mon, Nov-10-03 08:21

I have about an hour home from work and if I'm feeling munchy, I stop at Kroger's and pick up a bag of String Cheese. I munch on them and what's left over I eat with breakfast or lunch the next day.

hey_Neener Mon, Nov-10-03 09:45

I just bought Diet Swiss Miss at Safeway-maybe Walmart doesn't carry it anymore.

solamander Mon, Nov-10-03 11:28

When I had a long drive (5 hours) I munched on large bag of pork rinds. When I stopped for gas I bought one of those slim jim/cheese stick combinations at the gas station (and a back up back of pork rinds lol)

Wenzday Mon, Nov-10-03 11:30

pork rinds... I also couldnt stomach celery! yuck!

bkseler Mon, Nov-10-03 12:06

Something not food related--when I have a long drive ahead of me our local library has books on tape to check out. It nevers fails if I find a great murder mystery to help keep me awake.

Birddog Mon, Nov-10-03 12:31

The books sound great, but so do the snacks. I like celery. Plain or dipped. But if that is not your cup of tea. Nuts are also a good choice. Of course they never last me very long, cause I like them so much. I pack my lunch every day. If you pack your lunch you won't have to stop. Just cruise, listen to a good book and munch. Enjoy!

GramnGramp Mon, Nov-10-03 12:41

My DH's doctor gave him some advice on keeping himself awake on a long drive.
Every so often, take a really deep breath, hold it for a little, then blow out slowly through "pursed" lips.
Do this a few times and it will "wake up your brain", and you won't be sleepy.
You got some great advice on snacks here. Good luckl!