Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Quick Meals & Snacks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   creamy garlic parmesan chicken (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=141947)

eve25 Thu, Oct-09-03 14:50

creamy garlic parmesan chicken

i dont know if this has been posted before but i have made this recipe for a long time and never realized it was super low carb (and the easiest dinner ever). i dont even measure anything. you just mix together:

mayo
parmesan cheese
chopped garlic
oregano (i use a lot)

spoon it over chicken breasts in a dish. cook at 350 for about....40 minutes maybe. if its browning too quickly cover it with foil.

it has a great flavor. i make it for guests and they always think i went to too much trouble. little do they know its even easier than ordering out.

Ohio Kim Thu, Oct-09-03 14:53

Sounds delicious. I have been eating the basics since starting this WOE in September and am ready to start getting creative.

BeccaResRN Thu, Oct-09-03 15:54

mmm sounds delious and flavorful...with a nice salad would make a great meal

Tedmom Fri, Oct-10-03 08:45

Have all these ingredients on hand and am going to try this tonight. Thanks!

eve25 Fri, Oct-10-03 11:18

thats the best part tedmom, its stuff you ALWAYS have on hand.
let me know what you think.

missymagoo Wed, May-19-04 11:18

i am going to have to try this - sue

Cinderella Tue, Jun-01-04 09:59

sounds great!!! :D

missymagoo Thu, Jun-03-04 01:04

okay! i just made this dish on wed. it was great!!!! so easy to fix. i did forget the chopped garlic but it was still very good. sue

FionaMcB Thu, Jun-03-04 01:50

I do this on red snapper, it's good and easy.

PilotGal Tue, Jun-08-04 07:02

Just looked in the fridge... yup, have all the ingredients.. and there's always chicken breast in the freezer... this looks like a winner eve! my roasted zucchini fries would go well with this!!!

PilotGal Tue, Jun-08-04 13:58

well, i made this recipe today for lunch for me and the kid, and i happened to have a can of artichoke hearts in the cupboard. threw that and some frozen broccoli florets too, and we gobbled the whole thing up!! can't believe it.

Lowcarber Tue, Jun-08-04 14:11

It sounds very similar to a topping I use for a reciped called "Heavenly Sole". Only difference is I add chives, and top it onto Sole fillets (or even Cod for that matter). The normally fussy eaters around me gobble it down like it is going out of style. They never knew fish could be so palatable.

erinleigh Tue, Jun-08-04 15:31

I'll have to try this! Sounds yummy!

PilotGal Sat, Jun-12-04 15:11

out of all the recipes i've tried, this one and the tofu "chips" rank highest on my weekly staples.

Good job whoever discovered this one.. tastes like chicken alfredo... yummy

PilotGal Fri, Jun-25-04 08:50

Since my last post on this thread, 6/12, i've made this dish at least 7-8 times. It's the best alfredo i've had for low carbing.....

I bought some turkey thighs yesterday. I'm going to try the turkey thighs in the alfredo sauce, and bump up the broccoli to 1 cup and i bought fresh mushrooms.. will add fresh mushrooms, and frozen broccoli to this to beef up the carbs (veggies)

Anyone reading this... this is a very brilliant recipe. and simple as hell.
i don't like to heat up my house with the oven.. so i do it in a big covered casserole dish and microwave it. today i was thinking about doing it in the crock pot. i bought 4 turkey thighs.

Will keep this recipe abreast from time to time for those of you that love alfredo sauce. :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

eve25 Fri, Jun-25-04 16:02

pilotgal, i am so glad you are enjoying this recipe so much. i will pass it on to my non-lc friend who gave me the recipe. and i am going to have to definately try adding the broccoli...that and a salad would cover all the bases for a well rounded dinner i think.

oh by the way, i use greek oregano (i guess its also considered mediterranean?). i think it tastes a little different (stronger?).

PilotGal Sat, Jun-26-04 07:34

Ok, I tried this recipe, in a crock pot, with turkey thighs. Those were awesome too!!!
And i threw in all kinds of leftover veggies sitting in the fridge. green onions, celery, bell pepper, even a mango. threw it all in there.

Was excellent. Now... I'm thawing out chix breast, and i have all the leftover gravy from the thighs, i'll throw the chicken breasts, in the left over gravy into the crock pot and let them simmer...

I'm thinking... either spinach, or pole beans? which would you throw in there?

eve25 Sat, Jun-26-04 16:44

hmm...spinach and maybe some feta in the sauce. wow what you can do with mayo huh?

missymagoo Sun, Jul-11-04 11:14

i have made this dish 3 times and it allways turn out good. i am going to have to try it on the red snapper and maybe trout! sue

med234 Sun, Jul-11-04 11:22

So how much do you use?
Like a tablespoon of mayo and a teaspoon of parmesan per breast?

BlitzedAng Sun, Jul-11-04 11:32

That's pretty much what I did med234. Just eyeballed it. The children really enjoyed it as well.

Angel

med234 Sun, Jul-11-04 11:35

Thanks, Angel
I'll give it a whirl!

C-u-lean Mon, Oct-11-04 11:04

I have this in the crock pot now. Smells delish! I can't wait to eat if for dinner tonight.

I am afraid I may have overdone it with the ingredients though. I used about a cup of mayo 1/3 cup parmesan a tbls of choped garlic and a couple dashes of oregano (probably not enough of this one) for five chicken breasts.

What do you think?

Can someone tell me how much they use for these ingredients?

Thanks.

eve25 Tue, Oct-12-04 15:44

culean, i hope it turned out ok. i would probably add more parmesan, i sort of end up with slightly less parm than mayo. maybe 2/3 cup parm per 1 cup mayo?? oh and lots of oregano. lots!

C-u-lean Tue, Oct-12-04 16:56

Thanks eve. It was pretty good. It definately could have used more parm though. I am making it again tonight in the oven this time. In the crock pot the sauce kind of separated and wasn't creamy like I imagined it should be.

I am so warry of adding more oregano. I LOVE the stuff in red sauces, but for some reason the flavor in a white sauce scares me. In fact I almost wish I had left out what I did put in yesterday. I should just go for it and add a lot. I am sure it would taste wonderful.

C-u-lean Tue, Oct-12-04 18:26

Okay, I am definately going to need more help with this one. I know you say you just eyeball the ingredients. But apparently I am unable to do that! Haha! I again had no "sauce" and it separated on me. Though it was good, it was not what I was hopeing for.

Can you please give me dummy proof ingredients and recipe (Do I mix everything together or just put them all on top ect?)

Sorry I am a little slow with this one!

Thanks!

eve25 Tue, Oct-12-04 20:22

hmm...havent made it for a while but i think it does seperate just a tad. i mix everything in a bowl and then top the chicken breasts with it. i think mixing pretty equal amounts of mayo and parm helps with the seperation, as does not overdoing it with the sauce. you just want a good scoop of mixture on top of each breast...not too much. if you have extra you can top a dish of broccoli with it and bake that too.
as far as the oregano, you might want to try greek/mediteranean oregano. it has a different flavor. i just sniffed both of mine (the greek one came picked from greece). regular is stronger smelling.

med234 Wed, Oct-13-04 11:03

For each breast, we probably use about a good tablespoon of mayo, a teaspoon of parmesan, ½ clove garlic and 1/3t oregano.
It leaves a thin creamy topping on each breast, with a puddle of juices running out below, to make a thin sauce.
It's very tasty, and so easy.

C-u-lean Wed, Oct-13-04 16:18

Thanks for the responses. Next time I try this I will use your tips.

Chutatip_t Wed, Oct-27-04 06:40

Hi,

:agree: :agree: sound so delish :thup: :thup:

I really want to make this dish...but can someone give me a rough idea of how much mayo, perm cheese, garlic i need per 4 chicken breasts?

Thanks,