Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Working Moms/Dads with elementary/middle school children? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=139980)

Fiona mcK Mon, Sep-29-03 04:49

Working Moms/Dads with elementary/middle school children?

Hi! Anyone interested in a support group for parents of kids age 5 and up? I have 2 + 2 -- my daughter is 6 and my son is 9 and my stepson is almost 15 and my other step son is 9. So, anyway, my life is QUITE crazy! Finding time to exercise, plan meals, work, sleep, etc. is tough! However, I have managed to lose 25 pounds so far. Maybe we could do a challenge of some sort... any ideas?

Ohio Kim Mon, Sep-29-03 12:21

Hello. I have 2 + 2 as well, 2 daughters (ages 8 & 3) and 2 step-daughters (ages 10 & 6) So my life is probably quite a bit like yours. So between, work, finishing up my bachelor's degree, and raising a family there isn't much time for anything else. I'd love to buddy up and see what we can do as a team.

xerces Mon, Sep-29-03 13:21

Hi Fiona and Kim :wave:
I don't have any step children. I got plenty of my own ;) I have 3 children ages 10,6, and 2. I am also a single mom to this wild bunch. So I can truely understand how there isn't enough time!
To the both of you, good job on the weight lost. Tho, Fiona you and I pretty much started the same time with the same amout of goal. Your goin faster than me! No fair! :lol:
Now as for a challenge........ hmmmmm. Maybe we need to ponder together. Maybe something simple to start off with, that way we don't feel so overwhelm. I know there are all sorts in the forum like fittin to a size, pedometer or just a time goal. Does any of this sound good?
Let us know :)

Ohio Kim Mon, Sep-29-03 13:57

xerces: And good job on the weight loss to you too. 25 lbs. sounds like a dream to me. I'm up for a challenge as well. Take it easy on me, I'm fairly new to this. (LOL)

Candles Mon, Sep-29-03 14:38

Hi everyone here, I am just starting my diet and am still new to this forum thing but love it:). I have 1 daughter and she is 7. My husband and I have been married 17 years. Hope to hear from all of you. Talk soon.

Candles

Fiona mcK Tue, Sep-30-03 04:25

Hi Candles, Kim and Xerces!! So we all know what it's like to be busy busy parent I can see. I'm so glad you replied to the post. As far as a challenge, I still don't know. How about something simple at first - like making sure we get at least 64 oz of water??? I think support might be the real factor here. What do you think?

Well it's a cold Last Day of September here in Massachusetts! Hmmm i guess Xerces and Candles don't have to worry about that huh? Ohio Kim, maybe it's a little chilly there? I went to Cincinnatti in April for a training conference. It was awesome. I packed on several pounds eating Graeter's Raspberry Chocolate chunk ice cream and eating ribs at the Montgomery Inn. What a beautiful city. Maybe you don't even live anywhere near Cincinnati though.!!! Sorry to ramble!

Wow Xerces -- three kids as a single Mom! You must be SUPER busy. Congrats on losing 15 pounds! That's so great. That's funny that you got the age of your youngest wrong! That's just how busy you are huh?

Candles -- that's a cool name - where'd you come up with that? Do you make candles? Love candles? Congratulations on making the committment to get healthy. I think we can all be supportive of each other, lose some weight and make some new friends.

Time to go whip up some cream cheese pancakes. I can't wait to try them... found the recipe on the recipes forum here. Talk to you soon I hope!!

Susan

Ohio Kim Tue, Sep-30-03 08:17

Susan: Cream Cheese Pancakes? Hmmmmm. How were they? That actually sounds pretty good. I'm not really close to Cincinatti. I'm up in the Northwest corner (closer to Fort Wayne, Indiana). I have been to Cincinatti a few times though. I think the water challenge is a great one to get us all started.

Ohio Kim Tue, Sep-30-03 09:48

I am so happy. At work today, we celebrated a winning a trial last week. There were tons of doughnuts in the conference room and I didn't budge. Yipee!!!! I can't believe I made it through the morning without even a little taste.

Candles Tue, Sep-30-03 11:10

Hi Xerces,Kim and Hi Fiona mcK, answering your question - on top of working a full time job during the day my hobby is selling Partylite Candles so I have shows on the weekends I love it so that is where my nickname came from.....:) plus I love to burn candles as well. How did the cream cheese pancakes turn out? I love meeting new people and love being supportive plus receiving support since I really dont get much of that at home. My husband tells me it is easy. He is one of those people that can lose weight easy when needed. So he doesnt see my problem and why I stuggle with it every day. Sorry to get on my soap box but I LOVE BEING HERE ........

SMILE
LOVE CANDLES:yay:

Ohio Kim Tue, Sep-30-03 12:19

Candles: I totally understand what you are saying. My husband is wonderful, but he is the sort of guy who can eat anything, all the time and never gain a pound and he is not any more active than I am. I'm new to this too and I have a feeling that with all of this support, we will both reach our goals.

Candles Tue, Sep-30-03 12:37

Kim I am so glad you know where I am coming from as well. My husband is wonderful as well but he doesnt need to watch his weight....We can and We shall get though this rough time and we can do it together....:)

love Candles

Fiona mcK Wed, Oct-01-03 03:40

I hate it when you spend lots if time writing a witty, supportive post and then the board won't let you post. Anyway... to sum it up....

I know what you mean about husband that don't sympathize... mine just lost 15 pounds without really dieting.

Candles - I love candles too. YOu must be really busy to have parties on the weekend and be a mom and be a wife and work full time.. wow!

Kim - congrats on avoiding the donut and winning the trial!

More later!

Susan

Ohio Kim Wed, Oct-01-03 07:41

Fiona mcK: When did you start this WOE? It looks like it hasn't been long and you are doing great.

xerces: I was a single mom after I got a divorce about 5 years ago. I think that added to packing on the lbs. because we would just run through McDonalds or order a pizza on a pretty regular basis. It looks like your doing great though. Do your kids eat much of the same stuff you do now?

Candles: What part of California are you from? I have a friend who lives in Anaheim.

Candles Wed, Oct-01-03 08:05

:) Good morning ladies, Fiona I dont have that many parties on the weekends maybe 1 a month sometimes 2. Most of the time outside of work I am a mom and wife. But sometimes it does get hectic....

Kim I now live by Bakersfield but orginally from down that way. Hope all is going well with everyone look forward to hearing for all of my new friends here

Candles

mdklimesh Wed, Oct-01-03 13:13

Hi all,

is it to late for me to join you all? I just finish a challenge to loss 10# in a month. Didn't have much luck there(only 1.5 in a month, and I will just blame the stress of a family for that one, lol)

I have 2 children, a very spirited 13(going on 20) daughter, and a son 5(who also has quite a bit of spunk).

My life isn't quite as busy as all of yours, I'm a stay at home mom who raises calves and fish. So I have more time for exercise, and meals, and well everything else but it still doesn't seem like enough.

I think the water challenge would be a great start, that is one thing that I have not been doing very good with lately, along with exersice, and meals, and...

It's been a rought 2 weeks :cry:

Ohio Kim Wed, Oct-01-03 13:15

mdklimesh: Hang in there and welcome. Let's hope for a better 2 weeks to come.

xerces Wed, Oct-01-03 13:37

Am Still Here!!

Whoa... I was away for a few days and look all that I have missed!!! It's gonna take a little talent to get all that I wanted to say to all of you..HEHEHE. Here goes..

Susan - We can help encourage you to drink more water. How about using 2 straws when drinking water. I need to work on getting more veggies. I love them but it appears I am losing my love for them. :eek: Veggies are also expensive here. They go by weight and the local farmers charge more than the supermarkets! Now me witty? lol Oh, you can go on with words all you want, its fun ;)

Kim - awesome job in stayin away from them donuts. I know how tempting food can be. The family tested me on this one real good the other night. My family eats what I eat. However, they have their high carb sides. Example we had roast last night I packed more veggies. They had veggies and potato. They are really in love with flaxseed though, I can't make enough for them it seems..lol.

Candles - Welcome! Men just loser faster than us and men wonder why we nag so much ;) Understood the lack of support. Forum and scale are my best friends..lol!

mdklimesh- Never too late and always welcomed! I hear ya with your 5 year old and lots of spunk. My middle son just turned 6 and whoa it's such a ride. Ohhh.. you lack water too..hehe. Take them 2 straws for your water. Now what else can we help you with? I know rough too, I am struggling too.

Phew! I hope I have not left anything out, if I did SORRY! I no longer can see straight with 3 kids going at different ways. ;) Maybe we can post our fitdays. I know its kinda a pain to use it, but so far its the best way to show our intakes. That way we can work on veggies, exercise, and water. How about you Kim and Candles?

Let me know how all of you are doing and keep at it!

Ohio Kim Wed, Oct-01-03 13:42

xerces: I think the fitday plan sounds great, but I haven't quite figured out how to post it yet. Any help here? :rolleyes:

xerces Wed, Oct-01-03 13:47

Hey Kim!

When you log into fitday, click on the home icon. Scroll to the very bottom to Public Journal. Click on making it public. It gives you an url. You can paste that url in your signature, so we all can see!

So it looks like a FitDay Challenge for us -- Maybe lets see what the other gals think :)

Ohio Kim Wed, Oct-01-03 14:12

Ok.. I'm giving this public Fit Day a shot. I'm not sure if I've done it right or not, but here we go.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=Ohio+Kim

xerces Wed, Oct-01-03 14:14

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO
I see! I see! your fitday. Can you place that into your signature? It it easier for me to keep tabs on yah ;)

Whops forgot to add.. Kim on Sept. 30 I believe you should change the 1 cup of mayo..I saw your calories and nearly fainted..lol! Ohh.. and maybe you and I need to work on them veggies! Let me know :)

xerces Wed, Oct-01-03 14:29

Oks.. I am gonna going post happy.

If we are gonna do this fitday Challenge. There are a few pointers I would like to start off with. If I am missing something or if I am wrong, please let me/us know. Thanks

1) Cheese Intake, everything cheese. No more than 3-4 oz a day.

2) At least 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% of carbs

3) No more than 3 packets of Splenda

4) Watch out for Aspartame, Sugar and Sodium Nitrates

5) Carbs should be mostly from veggies.

6) We do need to watch our calories.

7) Remember not all products have a true carb count. Sometimes companies already subtract fiber with their carb count. (Example: unsweetened soymilk)

8) Best to level your carb/food intake through out the day

9) Fitday has some screwy counts for fitness. My idea behind logging it, its just so I can monitor how much.
I suppose I will edit this as we go along, this is what I could think of on the top of my head in less than 5 mins..lol.

Best To All of You!

Candles Wed, Oct-01-03 15:33

Hi everyone boy lots of posts here today I LOVE IT!!!! Count me in on the FitDay I will get mine set up. Thanks for the advise Xerces....

Welcome to our forum mdklimesh!!!!

Today has been going very well for me :wiggle:. Hope to hear from you all soon

Love Candles

Candles Wed, Oct-01-03 15:43

Not sure if this fitday worked or not lets see.....

Xerces how did you get yours to be just Fitday???

Candles

xerces Thu, Oct-02-03 11:53

Hey Chandles

If you are not already using Enhanced Toolbar, here is how to use it. Go to your profile, then click on Options. Scroll down to Use vBCode quick links. Then click on Show Enhanced. For me it is easier to use this toolbar, ah yes lazy me..lol

Now go to your signature. Your toolbar should have a smiley, cut and paste, etc. In you signature box, type what you want. Highlight the word(s) you want people to click onto. Click on the earth with a link, if you move your cursor on this it with prompt a box that reads "Insert Link". When you click onto this icon, it will then ask you for Hyperlink Information, here you will paste your fitday url. If you make a mistake with the link, just click onto the icon with a red X on the gray link.

Ohio Kim Thu, Oct-02-03 12:17

Xerces...
Ok.,,, I don't quite think I meant 1 cup of Mayo. I am still quite new to this. Ok... So we should only be having 3 to 4 oz. of cheese. I think I have been over doing it on the cheese. I love Cheese!

Anyway, I will have to log my food for today. Haven't done that yet.

Ohio Kim Thu, Oct-02-03 12:57

Anyone have a suggestive daily menu that is within the limits of the foods we can have. Keep in mind I am still in Induction and don't care much for seafood. Thanks.

xerces Thu, Oct-02-03 13:01

Hey Kim
You can peek at mine. Tho, you have to click all the way back on Aug 11th or so. Ah heck heres the addy..lol

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...&Month=7&Day=11

I did have some seafood, but not too much. I mostly stuck to eggs in the mornin (fast and simple), salad with meat for lunch and dinner. I am still within the 20 net carbs, but I am doing more OWL. I have added some fruits and nuts. Oh yah and some sweets..hehehe
And yah Fitday and their crazy defaults...like who consumes 1 cup of mayo?!? lol

mdklimesh Thu, Oct-02-03 13:06

Hi all,

I will take a look at this fitday thing and see if I can figure it all out. Only 3 - 4 oz. of cheese, oh-oh, I think I'm in trouble there, Ohio Kim I'm with you, I love cheese, cheedar cheese, swiss cheese, cream cheese, colby cheese,..... mmmmmmmm :yum:

I'm doing a little better on the water today, yesterday I managed 2 miles, so hopefully I'm on a roll.:roll:

Talk to you all later.

mdklimesh Thu, Oct-02-03 13:10

Susan - can we get that recipe for those cream cheese pancakes?????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! :heart: