Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   For those people on atkins for 1 month or longer - Hardest thing to give up? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137477)

yuckycarbo Tue, Sep-16-03 08:18

For those people on atkins for 1 month or longer - Hardest thing to give up?

I thought it might be interesting to ask this - For those who have been on atkins for at least a month, what has been the hardest thing that you've had to give up... something you can't have anymore? For me it was hard to give up a lot of stuff, pepsi, doritos, ect... but when people ask me what the #1 hardest thing to give up was, surprisingly I say "skim milk", which is funny, because most people wont touch skim milk even if they are allowed to. I drank like 1 gallon of skim milk everyday though, and it was the only good thing I ever did for my body on my old diet (a gallon of skim milk to wash down a bag of doritos and a big mac haha!).

So what is the hardest thing you've had to give up on atkins? Only one rule.... it has to be something that you don't eat anymore at all :)

poundsoff Tue, Sep-16-03 08:22

Hi Yucky Carbo.
I must say I am really really missing my red wine, I know i sound like an alcoholic, but I'm not, it played a large part in my social life and last weekend I skipped two parties I was invir#ted to and am skipping another one this week because I can't bear it and then most peopple don't have decaff diet coke, only diet coke and I feel I would stick out like a sore thumb! Ity's ruining my social life!!!!!!
I miss milk as well, it's amazing how much you take it for granted, you know starbucks and costa cofee and they don't do cream!
poundsoff

suzieq Tue, Sep-16-03 08:24

For me it is hamburger buns, and sub rolls on my cheesesteak subs. Hamburgers and cheesesteaks are and always will be staples in my life. I love that I can still eat them even while I am helping my life by losing weight. And I love putting grilled peppers, onions, cheese, and mayo on them, but gosh do I miss the rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan

Sbear Tue, Sep-16-03 08:26

Cheetoes. The crunchy kind.

Sigh...

:)

Sterlina Tue, Sep-16-03 08:36

Subway bread, Schlotsky's bread, and white rice.. I love white rice... I grew up on white rice.. I miss it terribly.. :(

smurf Tue, Sep-16-03 08:38

French Fries!

They sell these paper cones full of Hollandischer Fries that are fresh fried when you order, and they are served with mayo and ketchup. They were quite good. My usual subway stop is right next to this shop and I get to smell them almost daily. I really have not been tempted recently but the first 2 months were Hell!

cheers,
Judi :)

ian559 Tue, Sep-16-03 08:38

I miss pasta!!!!!! I am a classically trained Italian chef and boy do I miss it. I dont really crave it but miss it dearly

rebe1 Tue, Sep-16-03 08:41

Bread.... i.e. for pizza, toast, garlic bread, pastry bread, etc. :( But then again, after the first week of induction, I found that I was able to easily say no to things I'm not supposed to have, even with people taunting them in front of me :P I just keep on remember the number on the scale I saw in the morning and the fact that I don't want to get further away from my goal.

serrelind Tue, Sep-16-03 08:44

rice, pho, french bread...

i lived on those all my life..

mudknife Tue, Sep-16-03 08:46

I miss ramen noodles with lots of spice the most. Doritos temp me too much now so my wife and I have agreed to not allow them in our house even for the kids.

Alina Tue, Sep-16-03 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckycarbo
So what is the hardest thing you've had to give up on atkins? Only one rule.... it has to be something that you don't eat anymore at all :)

Ah, if not for that rule I would say: 'Not being able to drink more than 2 glasses of wine!'

I missed all my bad carbs the first days of induction, after that I said good-bye! I remember what they did to me............ :)

Alina

Ms.Kidy Tue, Sep-16-03 08:49

I miss popcorn and potatoes. Missing the popcorn was pretty bad the first month or so, cause that was my friday night staple, I don't miss it as much now though. Every so often now I think of a baked potatoe smothered in butter, chives, lil bit of sour cream and pepper. I miss that. I used to work at a wendy's and i would get baked potatoes for break couple times a week.

filmlass23 Tue, Sep-16-03 08:55

Pasta... Frappuccinos... and ice cream! Went to a birthday party with a Carvel cake recently and I thought I was going to implode seeing everyone divvy up my slice!! AGH!

elmo Tue, Sep-16-03 08:57

Milk and catsup.That almost did me in. But I have since found Dr. Atkins catsup and have substituted heavy cream for milk. I used my milk in my coffee, alot of it now I use cream and not as much.

Janet:)

The Goose Tue, Sep-16-03 08:59

Toast...

Toast and peanut butter
Toast and cheese
Toast and jam
Toast and toast

I miss toast!!!

MaggieP Tue, Sep-16-03 09:45

Let's see...

Good breads with butter - you know, the homemade kinds
Biscuits/bagels
Good desserts at Resturants
pies

Surprisingly, I was truly a pasta addict prior to beginning this WOL, but I really don't miss it. I thought it would be the hardest thing to give up, but it hasn't been. Bread has been harder.

jeanyyy Tue, Sep-16-03 10:08

Bread! I really miss the convenience of sandwiches and toast (with anything). Also miss the taste and mouthfeel of a really good dinner roll, ie sourdough or seed bread etc. I can have a slice of LC bread once in a while, but it's just not the same!

I also miss fruit - yes, I know I can have it sometimes, but I really do have to "plan" it, so it's not the convenience food it used to be.

Popcorn, when I go to the movies! There just isn't a good substitute for it!

Red wine - again, I'm not a big drinker, but MAN, I miss my wine! I do have some occasionally but find I can't do it too often.

ItsTheWooo Tue, Sep-16-03 10:09

CHINEEEESE FOOOOD :(

I am sorry but thinking about the smell, flavor, and texture of (seemingly gross to everyone else) chinese food just makes me depressed that I can't have it anymore. High fat AND high carb, two things which shouldn't mix :D. Plus the calories, yeesh I would put away an egg roll, a whole pint of pork fried rice and a pint of BBQ fatty & sweet beef spare rib tips. No wonder I was closing in on 300 :).

LadyBelle Tue, Sep-16-03 10:16

There are very few things I miss because you can alsmost always find an Lc substatution for it. For milk there is soy slender with only 1 net carb per 8oz cup. There are LC cereals both hot and cold. For potatoes I use cauliflower mash or turnip french fries. Cauliflower can also be greated for a rice dish. I recently tried LaTortilla dn those are my new addictions, yummmmm

Most of my sweet tooth cravings passed. I used to have a protien bar tohelp them, but found my taste for those passed to and I now find them disgusting. I will very rarely (once a month maybe) have a SF candy substatute. I have quite a few cookbooks that have LowCarb meals, dressings, breads, breakfasts and so on.

About the only thing high carb that I very rarely miss and have found no substatue for is honey. I used to love an occasional small taste of honey with butter on bread or so on. Ah well :)

skibunnie Tue, Sep-16-03 10:21

Deffinatly fruit, I missed out on the great produce that we have in august. I also missed out on the wonderful homemade pies.....mmmm blackberry cream

Smiley10 Tue, Sep-16-03 10:27

I miss bread, pasta and sweets!! :( lol! I am used to eating subway and going out to eat and eating fettuchini alfredo all the time, so that was hard to give up. The thing i always tell myself is:
NO FOOD TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS

It helps me a lot, when i feel like cheating or when i am down b/c i really want something i know i can't have. Best of luck to all you guys! :)

LovableLC Tue, Sep-16-03 10:28

Yucky - my family likes skim milk so it's what I was raised with, I think these other kinds are nasty, my friends think I'm wierd and ask why I drink watered down milk.

What I gave up the hardest thing? VALUE MEALS from fast food places
especially a barbeque bacon cheese burger from Rally - wow my mouth is watering. I'm allowing myself a cheat on October 17 maybe I'll eat one.

DeanaJane Tue, Sep-16-03 10:42

I miss mac and cheese. I ate that at least 3 times a week.
I also miss the chocolate donuts from Krispy Kream. It's not the sweetness I miss because I've found other sweet treats to make.

I still feel like I'm missing something after every meal, I use to eat a desert or something sweet. I don't physically crave something, it's mental. Hopefully it will go away in time.

Deana

rose7 Tue, Sep-16-03 10:53

yogurts..the ones with fruit on the bottom :)

cereal, breakfast granola bars, bananas, gummy bears (I can't eat the SF kind :( )
toast w/ butter and jam, potato chips, rice, french fries.. list will go on if I don't stop. :lol:

But, I agree with Smiley.
quote:
NO FOOD TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS

Hugs,
Rose

katoman Tue, Sep-16-03 10:53

I'd given up so much BEFORE this WOE & WOL that I can't really think of anything I miss.

Ah, here I go...I miss grazing. You know, open the fridge and throw together something like a dagwood or reaching in the freezer for one of those microwave treats. And I REALLY miss lumpia!

Hilary M Tue, Sep-16-03 11:04

1. Subway sandwiches

2. McDonald's (or Wendy's, or Arby's) fries. My weekly "two Double Cheeseburgers, no ketchup, no bun" is great, but those fries still smell so good.

I've found I don't really crave any high-carb foods, nor is it a major temptation to walk into McDonalds and look at other people eating fries. But if I was planning a "cheat" meal or something (Don't get riled up — I'm not!) Subway or McD's would be the first place I'd hit.

toddzilla Tue, Sep-16-03 11:25

Two words: Taco Bell.

sunspine17 Tue, Sep-16-03 11:42

Chicago deep dish spinach pizza (extra cheese). With 2 sides of deep fried breaded cauliflower dipped in ranch dressing. And the free liter of full sugar RC you always get with your pizza orders. Okay, I'm going to faint if I think about it any longer!

Athena31 Tue, Sep-16-03 11:49

Like others who have responded: wheat bread, sourdough bread, foccaccia, olive bread, etc. Any of the good, hearty breads. *sigh* When I first started Atkins, I was regularly holding wheat bread up to my face just to smell it for a while after making my son's lunches (don't worry, I wouldn't give him the slice that had been plastered to my face).

I stopped eating low-carb when I was in Europe last month -- I just found it too hard to do -- and once my body was over the initial hang-over feeling of eating high-carb again, I loaded up on nothing but bread. I looked at every sandwich as if it was the last one I would ever eat. Unfortunately the final "bread" meal I had before coming home was horrible; it's probably what helped me get back on induction so easily... (I didn't gain any weight because I was probably walking 9 or 10 miles per day, but I didn't lose much either, so I don't recommend my "vacation diet")

Bread Freak, Athena

hey_Neener Tue, Sep-16-03 12:07

Milk, homemade chocolate chip cookies and refried beans!