Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Nitrate free bacon....HELP! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=129977)

HumminBird Tue, Aug-12-03 05:23

Nitrate free bacon....HELP!

Hi everyone. I've just started Atkins (day one!) and did all my shopping yesterday but couldn't, for the life of me, find nitrate free bacon. Pleae someone tell me where I can get it from in north UK. Unless it's not all that important anyway? Don't get me wrong, I want to follow Dr Atkins as much as poss but if it dosen't matter what sort of bacon you eat then I'm going for easy shopping! :p

Also...how do you make scrambled eggs without milk??? :roll:

UrbanGypsy Tue, Aug-12-03 05:27

Hiya

I don't eat meat so can't help you on that one... sorry! (But I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful replies very soon)

As for scrambled eggs... I make them with butter and double cream... who on earth needs milk with goodies like that?! :D

Very best of luck with the diet... its been nothing short of a minor miracle as far as I'm concerned!

pepsi max Tue, Aug-12-03 05:29

hi humminBird,
i don,t know if we can get nitrate free bacon in uk.i,ve never seen it in any shops so i just eat regular bacon in moderation.
you can use cream to make scrambled eggs.it tastes better!

UrbanGypsy Tue, Aug-12-03 05:37

Just had a look online (remembering my fiance said he used to have organic bacon when he was last on the diet) and it appears the best you can hope for is to find a local organic farmer who doesn't use nitrates (the smaller farms are less likely to use them) and buy from them.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I hope this at least gives you a good starting point...

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:39

Hiya Everyone, I Had The Same Problem With Nitrate Free Bacon But The Local Butcher Suggested Going To Asda, And In The Frozen Shelf They Have Nitrate Free Bacon, Its The One Without Sodium Or Potassium Nitrate.

HumminBird Tue, Aug-12-03 05:43

Thank you!!! to both of you. Wow scarmbled egg eith cream!!! sounds gorgeous!!! Gotta give that a try!!
Thanks for the advice on bacon. Unfortunately I live nowhere near any farms and I don't drive (sob!) But when I start to drive I will deinitely be pestering the farmers round here!!
I think I'll just do what Pepsi max does and eat normal bacon (yummy!) in moderation.
Thanks again. By the way Urban Gypsy...I love your avatar!!!

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:44

Try Asda Or Any Supermarket Or Local Butchers. The Bacon Is Good For You On Atkins As It Fills You Up For Longer

HumminBird Tue, Aug-12-03 05:44

Asda!! cool! I'll try there. Cheers Gemma!!

P.s does it taste any different?

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:49

Nitrate Free Does Taste Different But You Soon Get Used To The Taste

HumminBird Tue, Aug-12-03 05:50

Cool. Thanks Gemma. If I'm pre-warned about the taste it won't put me off so fast! lol!!

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:50

Nitrates Are Mainly Put In Usa As They Keep Especially Bacon For Longer In Uk It Is Used Only In 10% Of Bacon Just Read The Ingredients At Back Of Bacon To Be Sure

UrbanGypsy Tue, Aug-12-03 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumminBird
By the way Urban Gypsy...I love your avatar!!!

:blush: Aww... thanks! :blush:

I can claim no credit for it: its my eye (both are in the original!), but my fiance did the artwork as a banner for my clothing label. I just butchered it to fit the space!!! :lol:

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:54

Nitrates
Many foods, especially cured meats such as bacon and hot dogs, use nitrates to preserve color and maintain microbial safety. Nitrate is harmless, but it can convert to nitrite, which can form nitrosamines, a powerful cancer-causing chemical, in your body. Whenever possible, look for nitrate-free preserved meats. When you do eat foods containing nitrates, have a glass of orange juice at the same time (for instance, orange juice with your morning bacon). Vitamin C is known to inhibit the conversion to nitrosamines in your stomach

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:55

Dont Worry About The Nitrate Free Be More Conscious Of The Carb Level As Some Bacon Has 1 Carbs And Some Nil, Have A Look Next Time You Are At Asda.

UrbanGypsy Tue, Aug-12-03 05:59

Except orange juice isn't permitted on induction... :(

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 06:03

You Can Get Vita C From Your Multivit Tabs

pepsi max Tue, Aug-12-03 06:04

how did we get to 15 posts in as many minutes.amazing.and all about bacon.we have no life!!

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 06:06

Amazing Isnt It 15 Posts On Bacon. Nitrates Used To Cure Bacon.

pepsi max Tue, Aug-12-03 06:09

wonder if i can buy a life at asda,this site should carry a warning.
it can make you go insane!

UrbanGypsy Tue, Aug-12-03 06:14

I'll have you know I resemble that remark! :daze:

Okay, so I do have a life... its just that right now that life involves packing up a kitchen in full glare of the sun and sauna style heat and thus I choose sitting very still indeed, pretending the kitchen has ceased to exist, and typing inane nonsense to people who are lucky enough to have a higher than average probability of never having to meet me...! ;)

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 06:18

we are just bored thats all and i like helping others

pepsi max Tue, Aug-12-03 06:20

i,m just sitting here avoiding the housework.i,m waiting for the fairies to do it.think i,ll wait a long time though.once baby wakes up my fun will be over.never mind, i,ll play tonight when kids have gone home!

GEMMA70 Tue, Aug-12-03 06:22

actually the real reason me is on here is to stop eating and drink more water

pepsi max Tue, Aug-12-03 06:22

baby,s awake. back to the grind.see ya.

Sinbad Tue, Aug-12-03 08:23

All the bacon I've found so far has been preserved with Sodium Nitrite... Sounds even worse :P No need for your body to bother converting from nitrates to nitrites!

But I'm hooked on bacon- I'll take the risk personally ;)

Cheers!
Steven

Ebbie.B Tue, Aug-12-03 09:08

Well this thread shows i didn't read the book properly because i didn't know we were suppose to be eating nitrate free bacon LOL

I have gone 18g over my total allowance of carbs for today, and the sad thing is i didn't cheat with chocolate or cakes or any other goodies. It was a carton (a little one at that) of pure orange juice!!!
Just couldn't face yet another bottle of water and i was so hot, not worrying though, the amount of sweat i have produced today i'm sure it has just seeped through my pores!!

pepsi max Tue, Aug-12-03 13:04

see we,ve got 2 bacon threads running tonight.does nobody like chickens anymore.

Ebbie.B Tue, Aug-12-03 13:20

i do but they all buck buck bucked off

LittleAnne Tue, Aug-12-03 14:19

I've never worried about nitrites in bacon. There are more important issues.

I don't usually put cream or milk in my scambled eggs and do it in the microwave, usually with cheese and prawns added.

Have you ever used the chat room below as it seems that would be a great place for you go get together when you are bored!!!!!!!!!!!

GEMMA70 Wed, Aug-13-03 03:49

dont worry about the bacon worry about the carbs