Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Looking for Ladies in their 50's (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125926)

Chloesue Sat, Jul-26-03 19:21

Looking for Ladies in their 50's

I am looking for female buddies in their 50's to join me in our weight loss journey.I am 52,married for 30 years.We have two daughters ages 25 and 26.We have been blessed with one grandson who is now 27 months old.
I have been on this WOE since January.I have lost 22 pounds.I am so glad that I have found this forum.It has given me the extra push that I need.As of yesterday I started riding my stationary bike again.I have set a goal to ride it at least 20 minutes a day for at least a week.After the first week I will see how I feel.If I am not too sore I will increase the time to 30 minutes.
Hope others my age will join me here.Will look forward to meeting you.
Nancy :wiggle:

MizSteaks Sat, Jul-26-03 21:02

I accept the bike riding challenge! WOOHOO! I need a push to get back on mine. How fast are we going to pedal? I like staying around 15 to 17 mph. Is that acceptable or shall we just go at our own speed? I will TRY for 20 minutes tomorrow. It's been a couple months since I've been on mine and my knees are a problem right now. But...no excuses! Thanks for the 'push'...I needed it.

Hey...great 'given' name you've got there Chloesue! Us 'Nancys' have gotta stick together!

Low Carb Pedal Power!!
Nance

You know...we could have our own excercise thread geared to working around aching joints and call it the Pedal Pushers or something. Just another random thought. My brain is short circuiting today!

Chloesue Sat, Jul-26-03 22:13

Hi Nancy,
It's great meeting you.Glad you want to join me in riding our stationary bikes.To be honest I don't even know how fast I am pedaling.I got my bike at a yard sale last year.I still need to figure out how to take the cover off of the area where the battery goes.Until then I just pedal away and go for 20 minutes.
Chloesue is the name of one of my cats.It's always hard to pick a good username so I thought that I would give the name of one of my cats a try and it worked:)
Good luck with riding your bike.
Nancy

MizSteaks Sat, Jul-26-03 22:31

Well it doesn't matter how fast...what matters is the DOING it right? Thanks for getting me motivated. That's what I was hoping to have happen on here!

Nancy to Nancy
G'Nite!

MizSteaks Sun, Jul-27-03 11:31

Whew! I had forgotten how GOOD it feels to move! Thank you Chloemae for getting me up off my duff. Did 20 minutes this morning and that added up to 4.8 miles!

Have a great day!
Nance

Chloesue Sun, Jul-27-03 11:58

Good Sunday Afternoon Nance

Nance,
Hope others join us here.It would be nice to have a few others join us in our exercise and being accountable to others.
I have riden my stationary bike for 20 mintues both Friday and Saturday.I just started riding it again on Friday so I am doing really good so far.
Haven't ridden it yet today but I will :wiggle:
I have noticed that I seem lighter on my feet now that I am exercising again.I did some shopping at our Super Wal-Mart already today.It was nice to walk around the store and get some walking in also.We have a huge Super Wal-Mart.I was all over the store so I am sure I got a lot of walking in.I would love to get a pedometer.Do you have one?
Keep up the good work on riding your bike. :thup:
Nancy

RoseTattoo Sun, Jul-27-03 15:36

Hi, I'm 53 years old, with two young children (through the miracle of adoption). My issues aren't as much with weight as with very high cholesterol/triglycerides and a terrible familty history of heart attack, stroke, and vascular dementia. So I'm low carbing as a way to try to prevent these dire things. Anyway, I would love to be part of an exercise support system, because that's what I find the hardest. It's nice to meet you and hopefully we can all motivate one another. :)

Chloesue Sun, Jul-27-03 17:57

Hi Rose

Hi,
Shall we call you Rose? I am Nancy and our other exerciser is Nance.

Congratulations on adopting your two children.How old are they?Please tell me about them.

I am the grandmother of a 2 year old grandson named Jeremy.I stay very busy during the week taking care of him while his parents work.Some people mistake me for his mother when my hubby are out and about with him.That is a good feeling since I will be 53 in a few months but still feel much younger.

Nance and I are both riding our exercise bikes for our daily exercise.I am riding mine 20 minutes a day.I started riding it again on Friday.I am a little sore today but know I need to keep riding it regardless.

What kind of exercise will you be doing?

I will be looking forward to getting to know and cheering you on with your exercise :wiggle:
Nancy

MizSteaks Sun, Jul-27-03 19:51

Hi Rose! Boy! I bet you tired of people commenting on how tiny you are, don't you? My sister is almost exactly your size and she HATES it! To see the two of us together is almost comical. We not only are totally different sizes but we LOOK nothing alike! LOL!
I rode my bike for another 10 minutes this afternoon cause it made me feel so good to do that 20 minutes this morning. Bless Nancy (Chloesue) for issuing the challenge. It sure got me up and going!

Have a terrific evening Ladies!
Nance

Chloesue Sun, Jul-27-03 20:43

Nace,
Way to go on riding your bike for 30 minutes today!!!
Are you sore at all?Today I am rather sore from riding the bike.I am just not used to it.I rode it the 20 minutes again today but it sure was hard.
Hope the soreness goes away soon.
Nancy

RoseTattoo Mon, Jul-28-03 05:32

Good morning, Nancy and Nance. Congrats to both of you for such strenuous exercising. :) I have a bad knee, so my aerobic exercise is limited to walking. But I walk very briskly for about 3 miles a day. It's been much harder lately because it's so hot and humid here. But it's getting to the point where I am desperate to go wakling if I've missed a day, so I guess that's good.

I'd like to get some weight-bearing exercise in, too. It's just so boring! But I know I have to do it--so if you two could gently "force" me, it would be great. :lol:

My children are 14 and 7. The older child is Dominican, the younger is Mexican. They keep us hopping...but I have to admit, on occasion I've been mistaken for their GRANDMOTHER. Grr. So obviously I have to do more to keep in shape, LOL. Yes, I'm tiny, but preserved, like a lemon. :lol:

Anyway, I hope you two have a wonderful day.

Leidon Mon, Jul-28-03 06:47

Hey Ladies!

Congrats on your exercise programs!

I have just started my new WOE and happened across this website and this forum. Glad you have started this tread, just what I was thinking of the other day. Reading your posts have inspired me to get up and do something!

I am soon to be 52, ugh!, and really having a hard time getting up from this desk and start walking or any exercise.
I find my self at the computer at least 10 hours a day, and my butt shows it!!! :lol:

I have a treadmill right here behind me in my office at home, but it has stuff stacked or hanging off of it! I NEED TO GET IT CLEANED OFF! I did go for a walk yesterday, about 1 mile, and boy I was totally out of breath! What happened to the spring in my step???? :cry:

Well I am gonna try and get off here (GET UP!!!) and clean up that treadmill! Wish me luck! :agree:

MizSteaks Mon, Jul-28-03 07:45

LOL Leah!! Thank you for my first laugh of the day and welcome to the group!!! I love your 'touring' quote!! I WISH I had a treadmill so maybe if you cleaned yours off I could come use it too? (Did that work? LOL!)

Rose, I also have bad knees which is WHY I choose the excercise bike. I can set the tension for whatever is comfortable and I can peddle at any speed that feels good. Right now it is no tension and about 14 mph felt good yesterday. I live in the country and have unlevel dirt roads to walk on which is not safe with bad feet and bad knees. :(

Chloesue I am a tiny bit sore but (YEP..that's where! The BUTT!) not too bad. Might have to put a pillow under me today to manage but will give it a go. After all, a deal is a deal! My leg muscles seem fine today so that's good.

Have a glorious, heart pumping day today!
Nance

Leidon Mon, Jul-28-03 10:21

Nance,
Glad I gave you your first laugh of the day!!!! :p

Well I will have all you know that since I posted earlier, I did get off the computer and started cleaning off the treadmill. Whew, that was exercise in it's self. I had to clean out the closets first to have a place to put all the stuff in. Why do I keep all that stuff anyway....clothes that don't fit, boxes and boxes of just plain stuff!!!! (note to self: either have a garage sale or sell it on ebay!!!)

Actually I had to clean the whole "office" room (where the treadmill is) because the cable co. was coming this AM to hook up Cable Internet Access, so there was no way a person could get around in there if they wanted. I finally got it all cleaned up and you can actually get to the Treadmill.:cheer:

Oh yeah Nance, the quote is because my hubby and I ride a Goldwing Motorcycle which is the love of our lives! We just love it. But even if we are lost for real, we just saying we are touring!! It's a nice quote for life also. :spin:

So here I sit at the computer again :nono: with the treadmill just behind me, all cleaned off and saying "Leah come on, get on, it will be just fine"...

Ok, here I go, I'm getting off the computer and on the treadmill :yay:
Will let you guys know later how it went!

Leah

MizSteaks Mon, Jul-28-03 14:00

Go! Leah Go! YEA for Leah!! WOOHOO...moving, she's moving!! LOL!

Sounds like the treadmill gave you an excuse for more excercise than you planned on! And...can I say that I am terribly jealous of anybody lucky enough to have cable access?! There is no chance for me here in the country. Have old telephone wires and dial up access...can you say sloooooooow?! One of the drawbacks of living here on 'Heaven on a Halfshell'.
The bike sounds like fun and getting lost/touring sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day. That is as long as you find your way back home eventually!
So glad you've joined us here. Look forward to really getting to know you. I look forward to really getting to know ALL of you!

To successful low carbing!
nance

Chloesue Mon, Jul-28-03 20:58

Leah,
Did you ride the treadmill today? Just start out slowly and work your way up.

My stationary bike was also used for hanging clothes.Since Friday it has been cleared off and used.I rode it 20 minutes on Friday,20 minutes on Saturday,20 minutes on Sunday and 25 minutes today.

I finally figured out how to take the battery case off.The only problem was that I didn't have 4 double A batteries to put in it.Will get some tomorrow then I will know more what I am doing on the bike.It logs both time and mileage.

I had a thought about the mileage.have heard of people using a map and logging the mileage on it as to how far they ride then seeing how far it takes them on a map.Thought that might be fun.All I know right now is how long I am riding but not the distance.

I've been enjoying all of our posts.Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Nancy

MizSteaks Mon, Jul-28-03 21:59

Nancy, that's exactly what I do on my bike! LOL! I know it is one mile from home to the golf course entrance, it's 2 miles to the high school (before the bridge was out), it's 3.9 miles to the grocery store...etc. It's really fun to visualize where I am progress wise. I even do it another way. I have over 1000 miles on this bike and I have made 'road trips' all over the state using the same method.

You know what would be fun? See how long it takes us to peddle...or in Leah's case, walk....to each other's house! You guys game for that? Or to each other's state or something to make this some FUN! Got any ideas along those lines?

Happy huffing and puffing! :yay:
Nance

Chloesue Tue, Jul-29-03 04:29

Nice Idea Nance

Nance,
I really like your idea of seeing how long it would take to peddle where each other lives.

I live in the southern most part of West Virginia in the mountains.There would be a lot of huffing and puffing up and down the mountains :lol:

Please tell me where you live Nance and Leah so I can check it out on a map and on a mapping site for distance.

Hope everyone has a really good l/c day.Since Friday I have done really well.

Nancy

MizSteaks Tue, Jul-29-03 10:51

Good morning Nancy! Looks like we're the only ones in the Lounge today. Sigh. Too bad. I was hoping we could get more people involved here. I won't give up though...this is too great a site to not make it work. I feel awful when I look at the threads and I was the last one to post on almost all of them!

Nancy I live Southwest of Portland, Oregon right up by the Washington border. If you can find Beaverton on a map, I am another 11 miles due west from there. Afraid I won't be joining you on the bike ride for a few days though. My butt was sore yesterday from a darned old boil! Just canNOT sit on the dinky little bike seat until it goes away as it is right where it hits wrong. LOL. I'll have to walk beside you to a Leslie Sansone tape today and tomorrow at least...but by gosh..I'm MOVING!! :D
Have a terrific Tuesday!
Nance

GalacticGa Tue, Jul-29-03 12:05

Hi Nancy,

I'm 54 and pleased to be here. I knew it was time to lose weight when I saw pictures of myself at my daughter's wedding--Yikes!!

I'm just starting induction and there's so much to learn. (Years ago I used to do Stillman and I'd eat the cottage cheese with corn chips. No wonder I never lost much weight.) Now, I've read the Atkins book cover to cover and I'm going to go clean out and re-stock my pantry. I'm READY!!!

I've been on HRT for years and my doc said it was time I should start to get off it, so I've been lessening my doses. I'll be looking for support and helpful tips in that category, for sure.

All I can say at this point is, it's great to be here and I'm SO looking forward to feeling better and lighter!

Rian

Chloesue Tue, Jul-29-03 15:19

Nice To Meet You Rian

Rian,
It is so nice having you join us.Good luck with Induction.It isn't all that hard.Some people try to make more of it than it really is.
I've been on this WOE since January.I've lost 25 pounds with many more to go.The last 2 months I have gone up and down the same 3 pounds.I am getting serious again.I found this forum a few days ago.It has been such a motivation factor for me.
Nance and I are doing a challenge to ride our stationary bikes.That keeps me really motivated.
You have done the right thing by reading the Atkins book before you started Induction.I did the same as you and got rid of lots of foods that we didn't want tempting us.
If you have any questions ask away.Jump right in and make yourself at home.We will look forward to getting to know you.
Nancy

Chloesue Tue, Jul-29-03 15:23

Nance,
So sorry that you have that nasty boil and can't ride a long with me.Believe me I know how you feel.It's been years since I have had a boil but I was fortunate to not have one where it must hurt to just sit down.

Good for you for walking a long with Leslie Sansone.How did you do?

I have a Richard Simmons Sweatin to The Oldies exercise tape which I love.Haven't done it in awhile.Thought I would concentrate on riding my stationary bike now.It seems to be a harder workout than Sweatin To The Oldies.

I forgot to buy the batteries for my bike when I was out today.Will get them as soon as possible since I know having the odometer etc..will make the bike riding more pleasurable.

Nancy

RoseTattoo Tue, Jul-29-03 16:13

Hiya, everyone. You all sound as if you were making tracks today. :) I love the idea of charting how far we bike/walk, to see the distance we cover. I'm in eastern Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia, should anyone want to come this way. :lol:

Chloesue, I love Sweatin to the Oldies! But unlike you, I can't even do the whole tape, let alone wish for more vigorous exercise. I walked my 3 miles last night, and today brought my son to the science museum, which is vast and includes climbing LOTS of stairs, so I feel fairly well worn out. But I MUST do my Pilates tape one of these days. :)

Food went well today, except for the hot dog minus the bun that I ate by default at the science museum (it was the least toxic thing there) :daze: Must get enough veggies in tonight.

Have a good evening, ladies. :)

mizholly Tue, Jul-29-03 16:53

jumpin' in with two sore hips ...

greetings all!

I'll be 53 in December and feeling better all the time. We've been LC'ing for 4.5 years and exercising regularly for longer than that. Soreness is always a surprise, but that's what comes of trying something new. It really does go away - just don't stop doing what you're doing.

Right now DH and I are doing 3 days of 4+ mph walking and 3 days of nordic trak/exercise ball (hopefully to incorporate the strength training thing) - we call those our torture days.

I'll be honest though, some days, all of this really wipes me out and I drag my butt through the rest of the day (whining and moaning as needed :-). But, little by little, I do feel stronger and more able. Hellzbellz, I can even do some pushups, can you believe that??

So, we'll keep on doing what we need to - we all have choices, and this is a much better one, don't you think?

Stay well and keep smiling, it really does help.

Holly :roll:

MizSteaks Tue, Jul-29-03 19:19

Wow! What a great surprise to stop in here and see new faces! Welcome all to Chloesue's excercise thread! It's a lot more fun to excercise with friends than to try to go it alone. :D

I struggled through just the mile tape today Nancy. Sigh. Between plantar fasciitis (sp?) in left foot and both knees giving problems it makes it tough. But by darn I'M tough too! I think this might be a cyst instead of a boil. It comes back in the same place about every 3 months for the last 12 years!! If I wasn't so embarrassed by it...and it seems unimportant somehow...I would tell the doctor about it.

I cannot go clear down to induction levels without my creatinine levels going wonky (kidney function). I can only go down to about 60 carbs per day so I am in a 7 month stall. But the weight loss is secondary to me. I just want the good health and that I'm getting!! I have another Dr appointment in a couple weeks and we'll discuss whether I can go lower. I'm a heart by-pass/kidney failure survivor so have other problems besides the weight.

Keep up the good work ladies!! Let's hope some of the guys stop in and join us. We can bike/walk/skip our way across America!!

Blessings to all,
Nance

RoseTattoo Wed, Jul-30-03 09:54

OK, I'm going to the gym and I'm going NOW. :angel: Right after I post this, I mean. :lol: I will walk three miles on the track and then try the Nordic-track type thingie (forget its name) for at least ten minutes. Then I will lift my pitifully light weights and do some crunches. And if I bail out, you all are invited to scold me to your hearts' content. :nono: :lol:

MizSteaks Wed, Jul-30-03 12:12

Hi guys! Sorry I'm so late this morning but 'puter keeps crashing! :(
I bit my lip and rode the bike, boil and all! I decided that if I let every little pain or problem keep me from excercising I would probably never move again! LOL! SO...I only lasted for 8 minutes but that was better than nothing. I think it was almost 2 miles.
Y'all have a good day today...gonna post this quick before I crash again!
Nance

Chloesue Wed, Jul-30-03 20:31

I just wrote part of a post and lost it.Hope I can remember what I wrote,lol.

I rode my stationary bike 20 minutes today.I bought the batteries for the bike but the odometer still isn't working.My hubby said that he would look at it tomorrow.

Wish I knew how far I was riding it when I ride it 20 minutes.Do any of you have a rough estimate of how far I would be going in that amount of time.I know I really feel it when I peddle away.

Nance.....You did really well walking the mile yesterday.Then you managed to ride your bike for 8 minutes today.Way to go.Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your computer.

Rose...How did it go for you at the gym today?

Nancy

MizSteaks Wed, Jul-30-03 21:57

Nancy, here's an idea. Count how many revolutions your right foot goes around for one minute. I'll do the same number of revs on my bike and see what the odometer says. How's about that?

I stopped using my second bike when the odometer broke on it. I LIKE knowing those silly little things...it makes it more FUN!! LOL! This bike is a cheapy that will not last too much longer, but so far everything works unless I work too hard. Then I slip the belt and come to a screeching halt until hubby can overhaul it. Makes me slow down a lot more than I like to.

Here's something interesting that I got in an email from RealAge today:

Quote...
Engaging in low-intensity exercises not only will burn extra calories, but it also may safeguard your heart.
A recent study compared the effects of different kinds of exercise on the cholesterol profiles of older women. After several weeks, heart-friendly cholesterol changes were observed in the women regardless of whether they performed high- or low-intensity exercises. The heart benefits depended on how long, not on how hard, they exercised.

RealAge Benefit: Exercising regularly can make your RealAge as much as 9 years younger.

End quote...

Hope they don't mind me sharing tht since I gave them full credit for it. Thought it very pertinent to this thread.

Nite all!
Nance

Leidon Wed, Jul-30-03 23:42

Hey Ladies!!!!
Sorry I haven't checked in with you in a while. It looks like you are all doing pretty good.

I like the idea of charting how far it is to each others home. I suppose I better get walking more, cuz at the rate I'm going, it will be a very long time before I would get to see each of you! :lol:

Well the last two days around here have been very trying. We got the modem cable set up to my computer (Mac), then we had to network hubbies PC into the system, which meant going to buy Ethernet Card, and a router!

Needless to say, I was busy the whole time searching websites to get info on how to hookup all this "techy" stuff! For some reason, during my glorious ( :lol: ) 50's, I can no longer remember things!!!! :cry: It is awlful, do you guys have that problem too????? I waste more time trying to remember where I put something than I do anything else during the day!

But I got it all hooked up and luckily hubby and I are still together (we both have our own ideas on how to do things!) :lol:

I did get on the treadmill for about 15 minutes yesterday, but have to figure out how to get some kind of laptop stand to hook on the bar rail...so I can be online while I'm exercising!!!! :agree:

What an invention that would be (is there such a thing out there already?).

Well for those that are charting "exercise trips", I live in Northeast Texas (Daingerfield), 64 miles southwest of Texarkana, and 100 miles east of Dallas. I live in the Piney Woods of East Texas!

So hop on those stationary bikes or whathave you, and crank 'em up! I will leave the light on for ya!

ps: Just finished my 1st week of induction, YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!! :cheer:

I will stop in tomorrow and check on you guys!