Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   water fasting (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=120786)

debbie16 Mon, Jul-07-03 04:09

water fasting

has anyone tried water fasting or any juice fasting? i'm into day 1 of water fasting and i'm feeling great. i read on the net that someone lost 25lbs in 17 days! WOOHOO! i could deal with that! has anyone tried fasting and would like to share your results?

Hint: i don't believe in starvation mode.

kellyuk Mon, Jul-07-03 04:49

I've never heard of it, can you tell me what it entails please?

debbie16 Mon, Jul-07-03 05:01

its basically about cleansing your body but you do lose a lot of weight during the process. all you do is drink water everyday.

jennifer28 Mon, Jul-07-03 05:44

uh?

I have never heard of this before.Would like to know more also.I would think with no food and just water you would get really weak,and after you did all that fasting and started to eat again you would gain it back.I would like to hear more abt this.

cathie Mon, Jul-07-03 05:50

how long to you do it for? won't the weight come back once you add solids to your diet?

jennifer28 Mon, Jul-07-03 06:10

That is what i was thinking also.I don't understand.

debbie16 Mon, Jul-07-03 06:22

no, you won't gain it back if you slowly add foods back to your diet. the fasting is what gets your metabolism FIXED. it doesn't destroy it. there is a book by Dr. Paul Bragg and its quite informative about fasting.

jennifer28 Mon, Jul-07-03 06:31

Is there a web site with this info i could check out?

kellyuk Mon, Jul-07-03 08:54

How long would you be doing this for? Why don't you check with your doctor before doing this and get his opinion on if it's safe and healthy?

debbie16 Mon, Jul-07-03 08:58

you can do a search for therapeutic water fasting

one of the links i can remember is:
http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_b...r%20fasting.htm

Karen Mon, Jul-07-03 08:59

Quote:
Hint: i don't believe in starvation mode.
You should debbie because it sounds like you're on the verge of becoming anorexic. Starving and cleansing is not the way to heal your metabolism. Eating properly, exercising and taking the right supplements is.

I strongly suggest that for your own health and safety that you see a counsellor about this. Don't wait until it's too late.

Karen

kellyuk Mon, Jul-07-03 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie16
you can do a search for therapeutic water fasting

one of the links i can remember is:
http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_b...r%20fasting.htm

Please, please see a doctor before undertaking this, reading that link actually scared me :(

debbie16 Mon, Jul-07-03 10:05

karen, thanks for showing concern on me about being anorexic. i know i'm not i won't allow myself to. because i know its unhealthy and people can actually die from it. so all i can say is i'm going to give it a try and maybe i'll keep you informed on how i'm doing. i've just finished day 1 and actually, i'm feeling good.

sourdaisy Mon, Jul-07-03 10:27

It seems religion-based, not science-based if you ask me.

debbie16 Mon, Jul-07-03 10:32

maybe do a search on water fasting. there are so many links and some are science based. i'm not arguing with anyone because it is definitely a personally preference and not everyone's body can work with this. just looking for anyone who has tried it and want to share their experiences!

LadyBelle Mon, Jul-07-03 11:23

Would you run a car without gas? Your body needs fuel and vitamins to run properly. Without enough protien your body will begin to eat muscle tissue to meet it's protien needs. Your metabolism will not heal, in fact it will slow down to accomidate the lean times when there is no food available. I'm kind of confused by your profile. Are you trying to get to 94k, or 94 pounds? If you are even 5 foot, then 94 is a bit unrealistic.

Yes Anorexia can kill. Most anorexics don't think that is what they are. They see themselves are overweight, and are trying to gain control of thier eating and have full control of thier bodies. If you plan to fast for 17 days, then there is a good chance that yes, you are becoming anorexic. Talk to your doctor about the safty and risk facots associated with fasts. They can be done on the short term, but only under a doctors supervision.

Quote:
i know i'm not i won't allow myself to. because i know its unhealthy and people can actually die from it.

Read up more on anorexia. Starving yourself, drinking only water or eating extreamly small amounts of food, and so on is anorexia. Yes it is unhealthy. Drinking only water and eating no food for an extended period will cause you to lose lean mass, not only muscle, but bone density and can do damage to organs.

jennifer28 Mon, Jul-07-03 15:34

to scary.Be very carefull.How much are you wanting to lose?You are not big at all.

Arie Mon, Jul-07-03 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie16
maybe do a search on water fasting. there are so many links and some are science based. i'm not arguing with anyone because it is definitely a personally preference and not everyone's body can work with this. just looking for anyone who has tried it and want to share their experiences!

If you get to 94lb, you will be "dangerously under weight".. Any weight under 100 will be dangerous for you.
At 125 you are at the most ideal weight for your height..

Shellyf34 Mon, Jul-07-03 17:02

Aren't you like about 5'5"??? Why in the heck are you trying to get to 94 pounds?????? Even Calista Flockhart weighs 106. Please see your doctor soon about this. It is dangerous. I have heard of a water fast for 24 hours to clean out your system, but days? There is nothing healthy about this at all. NOTHING. You will just be consuming your own lean muscle mass. This is very very scary stuff!!!

I think you should probably educate yourself about starvation mode before you say you don't believe it exists... :rolleyes:

Laura D Mon, Jul-07-03 17:27

I did a google search on water fasting and it seems it is just the same as starving yourself? I don't understand how you can see it as anything else.

I did find some "cultish" sites that tired to turn it into a religious thing, but I think it just sounds dangerous.

Scarlet Mon, Jul-07-03 17:29

Scary, horrifying stuff. 94lbs is way too small a goal to aim for, its considered to be in the underweight category unless you are under 5".

Sweetie, I think you should read up on anorexia and eating disorders. You deserve the best for yourself and a water fast will neither nourish nor cleanse your body.

debbie16 Tue, Jul-08-03 02:49

i'm not trying to get to 94lbs with water fast. i'm trying to lose about 15lbs with water fast. and i'm 4'10 - 4'11 (with a good deep breath) so i'm definitely not going to be underweight. i'm trying to lose 15lbs with water fast. i don't know how long it'll take but i'm only going to do it for a week (max.) after that i'll start exercising and eating right.

kellyuk Tue, Jul-08-03 04:03

Losing 15 pounds on water fast will mean you are burning lean muscle from your body, the fat will still be there but your metabolism will slow down and make it much harder for you to lose it when you start eating again - basically your body thinks a famine is in operation and hangs on to everything it can.

Try and get an appointment with your doctor and see if he recommends this for you - losing 15 pounds is NOT worth screwing your health up for.

Rosebud Tue, Jul-08-03 05:13

I agree with the other posters here, Debbie. Trying to lose weight by fasting is extremely unhealthy. You will lose more muscle than fat.

You say now you are 4'10, yet your profile states you are 159. 159cm is 5'3.5. :confused:

Please discuss this with your doctor before you do yourself irreparable harm.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

debbie16 Tue, Jul-08-03 06:27

159 was a wrong measurement. the measuring tape was inaccurate. i retook it and im somewhere around 150cm. so i'm extremely short.

hippygal Tue, Jul-08-03 11:39

48 hours

This is what I normally do. I have done a 72 hour fast a few times but I mainly stay at 24-48 hour fasts. One week is a long time. I would feel too weak after that long. I know what you mean about feeling good. Your body needs to be cleaned out every so often. Toxins build up in your body and the only way to get them out is to fast them out. You can see the waste coating your tongue (white stuff). Your breath gets foul from the toxins escaping. It makes me feel alot better to cleanse my system but I won't go a week. Also remember to statr back with veggies the next day if you go for longer than 2 days.
Good Luck.

LadyBelle Tue, Jul-08-03 12:18

A white coated tongue could be a sign of yeast problems.

As you are unsure about your height the best idea could be to visit a doctors office. You don't have to see a doctor, a nurse can weigh and measure you for a lower charge. Then find out your body fat percentage. Instead of worrying about a number on the scale, shoot for a healthy body fat percentage. The doctors office can help you determine how much lean mass you have, what a safe and healthy goal weight should be, and advise you on the benifits and risks associated with fasting.

hippygal Wed, Jul-09-03 11:50

Noooo

It is not yeast. Thank you very much. I have researched fasting alot and this is a typical symptom. Don't knock it until you try it.

Jerzgrl Thu, Jul-10-03 12:42

94 lbs???!!! YIKES Please see a professional as others have suggested. You desperately need to re-evaluate your dieting ideas. Best of luck to you.

LovableLC Thu, Jul-10-03 14:56

While I do think this fasting is not great, I have 2 friends who are 4'10" and 4'11", both of them weigh in the the low 90s and they are not underweight. So maybe 94 is not a bad weight for her, we really can't tell we have not seen her and don't know her. But the water fast sounds bad.