Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Calories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111943)

karen_1977 Sat, Jun-07-03 08:22

Calories

How do you know how many calories you shold be eating?

Karen :confused:

MaryToU Sat, Jun-07-03 08:35

Following the Atkins eating plan you shouldn't have to count calories. But for those of us who watch them, the rule is 10 to 12 times range. This range has to rules people argue between. I follow the time your current weight rule. Other belieave it time you goal weight. I guess then a good rule of thumb would be dont go below 10 to 12x your goal weight, and not above 10 to 12x your current weight. Find what ever range your are comfortable in within that area. :wave:

manucpa Sat, Jun-07-03 11:48

I think 10 to 12 times your current weight makes sense to me since you would reduce your calories as you lose. If you shoot for 10-12 times goal, heavier people would be mightly hungry at the beginning and probably would go off plan very quickly from deprivation and possibly make their bodies think they are starving and reduce their metabolisms.

RCFletcher Sat, Jun-07-03 12:24

You are 152.5lbs. This means you should eat at least 1,525 calories a day to avoid going into starvation mode.

mammoth Sat, Jun-07-03 12:28

Oh...I don't agree.

I am "heavier people"...and I go at 10X GOAL weight. My goal weight is 225 , so I keep it to 2250 calories a day...which is plenty of food. In fact, most days I have to struggle to eat it all!

Its really a matter of how quickly you wish to lose weight. As I have so much weight to lose (about 75 pounds)...I would love to burn half of it off quickly.

Also, for you "light-weights" with only 20 pounds to lose, going 10X goal weight might be even more important... as those "few" pounds can be real tough to get off.

Just a thought!

Best to all;
Jake

LadyBelle Sat, Jun-07-03 12:45

My goal weight is 115. 10x that is only 1,115 calories. I don't think I could keep my cals that low and not starve. As long as I keep burning more then I take in (trusting fitday on that one) I don't worry to much. I am trying to keep them under 2,000 though, hopefully around 1,500. If I don't make that though I don't sweat it.

RickinTN Sat, Jun-07-03 12:52

I feel everyone is right to a degree. If I was to eat 10 to 12 times my current weight, I would have to eat 3,390 to 4068 which would be way too many calories for me. I gained my weight because my body did feel it was being starved.

I have been aiming for between 1660 and 2000. I have went over some and I have went under some.

I think the most important rule is to eat what you can and not feel overstuffed

karen_1977 Sat, Jun-07-03 13:17

The more I read these the more I understand that I should be eating at least 1500 cals a day. My goal weight is 100lbs (I'm only 4'11") and if I were to go by 10X my goal weight I would only be allowed 1000 cals a day?? Don't think so. I need more then that and I personally think that is unhealthy.

Thank you for everyones response, it made me understand what I need to do.

SDgrandma Sat, Jun-07-03 13:39

This discussion just shows you that what works for one person doesn't work for another. There are no hard and fast rules. We each have to find what works for us.

RCFletcher Sat, Jun-07-03 13:46

Dear mammoth,

When I suggested 1,525 for the person concerned I was talking about Karen specifically. I think most people would think this is a reasonable amount. This does not mean I think a heavier person should eat 10 x his/her body weight. We all have to make our own minds up. Personally I can't lose weight on 10 x my current weight - I have to go a bit under or I just maintain.

regards,
Robert

manucpa Sat, Jun-07-03 14:14

I guess a linear formula like 10-12X weight formula probably doen't work for extremes of the spectrum.

ALEKA Sat, Jun-07-03 14:31

RickinTn--MarytoU

Hi--Aleka again-- Presently I weigh 236--have been trying the 10x-12x goal weight and am getting hungry at night. Woke up with an acid stomach--Do you suggest I increase my calories???

ALEKA Sat, Jun-07-03 14:32

RickinTn

My goal weight is 150--Aleka

fairchild Sat, Jun-07-03 15:32

How slow or fast do you want to lose weight?
If you want to drop it fast reduce calories-in the words of Dr A "I never said calories dont count! Of course you will lose faster at 1400 cals 20 carbs a day then you will at 1800 cals and 20 carbs a day"
Someone here emailed atkinscenter and they said 10 to 12 x goal weight.
But everyone is at their own pace just depends how long you are willing to wait to get results. ;)

Darlene63 Sat, Jun-07-03 19:40

Something occured to me recently...about the 10x to 12x the goal weight thing. I think we might want to look at this a little differently.

It may be a mistake to limit yourself to an amount of calories equal to your final goal weight x 10 or 12 from the get-go. What if we want to lose, say 2 pounds a week...that would be our weekly goal, right? Just subtract two pounds from your current weight and you have your goal weight! Then, when you lose that, subtract two more pounds, and so on and so on...get my idea?

I mean, if my desired weight is 125, who's to say that should be my one and only goal???

If I'm at 200 pounds and want to be at 198 in a week, I eat 1980 (or so) calories until I lose the weight...then 1960 calories until I get two more pounds off.

By the time you get to your final goal, you have eased yourself into a healthier calorie count...without really feeling too deprived.

And, on that train of thought, even when we get to our goal weight (the final one, that is) we shouldn't be eating too little in the way of calories. There has to be an amount that will keep us at that desired weight and we have all this time between here and there to figure out just what that number is.

How does that sound? :daze:

ALEKA Sat, Jun-07-03 19:59

Darlene

Sounds good to me except I do think 236x10=2,360 calorie is too much for me even if I drop it to 2,300 calories. Oh well--will play it by ear and keep below 2000, maybe even 1800. Thanks Aleka

karen_1977 Sun, Jun-08-03 08:56

Sounds great, but will it work?

RickinTN Sun, Jun-08-03 09:01

Re: RickinTn--MarytoU

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEKA
Hi--Aleka again-- Presently I weigh 236--have been trying the 10x-12x goal weight and am getting hungry at night. Woke up with an acid stomach--Do you suggest I increase my calories???

I would recommed you increase your calories a litttle. Up to at least 2,000 if you can

RickinTN Sun, Jun-08-03 09:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Darlene63
It may be a mistake to limit yourself to an amount of calories equal to your final goal weight x 10 or 12 from the get-go. What if we want to lose, say 2 pounds a week...that would be our weekly goal, right? Just subtract two pounds from your current weight and you have your goal weight! Then, when you lose that, subtract two more pounds, and so on and so on...get my idea?

You know, that is a good idea

Lisa N Sun, Jun-08-03 09:18

My 2 cents...

..somone e-mailed the Atkins center a while back and received the reply that the minimum amount of calories you should shoot for is 10x your goal weight (assuming that your goal weight is a reasonable one). I'll add to that my opinion that nobody should go under 1,250 calories per day because then you are getting into VLC (or very low calorie) diet territory which is ultimately not good for your body. Will a low calorie day here and there hurt you? Probably not. Will a high calorie day here and there hurt you. Again, probably not. It's the overall pattern that you need to focus on; what you do most of the time.
I'll also add that forumlas, like eating plans, are not one size fits all. A good calorie level is one that you can lose on and still feel satisfied with what you're eating, but not so low that your body starts to think that a famine has begun and begins to slow your metabolism to help you survive. I belive that in DANDR, Dr. Atkins suggested that most women can safely lose on about 1,800 calories per day and that most men can safely lose on about 2,000 calories per day.
As always, your individual numbers and mileage may vary.

ALEKA Sun, Jun-08-03 12:16

RickinTn

Thanks Rick--Will do---Aleka

ALEKA Sun, Jun-08-03 12:19

Lisa-N

Thanks Lisa for your two cents worth--good advice!!!!Aleka

janetkind Sun, Jun-08-03 14:51

karen1977

Iam also 4 ft. 11. small bone.
I started atkins Feb1st. at 165. as of today weigh in is 139.
hope soon to see 135.
My goal wt. is to be 100lbs by fall.
I do count calaries. and for me to lose to this point i have to hit hard. lower carbs and calaries.
My calaries are between 1000 -1200 . some times lower some days higher. just depends if iam hurgery or not. If not hurgery why eat.
and if you need more food some days .eat. I think your body tells u what it wants. we just dont listen.
I also think as we age. we get slower on losing. So that is why we have to hit harder then others. Also get that body moving. Wt. traing is great to tone.
I just started wt. training this week. and doing ab crushes. and now iam jogging on tredmil. Doing 1 mile for 20 mins. NON STOP. which is great for me. never down that. will work up speed and little more miles as body can do. but am doing it.
Iam takingCLA and i think it is helping with toning. i get at walmart. alot of people on atkins web site take. and i hear good results. this is 3 bottle for me. I sure hope to get to goal of weighing 100lbs by fall. 30 lbs to go.
Just think in 01 . had all weight off and weight was 107 lbs. I went from 187 - 107 in 8 months. on my own.
then i had rottor cuff surgery and blew it. but this time no more. I find to that we all need to talk and have e mail buddies to help report to and keep going. any one want to help me on my goal to jogging and exersicing. lets all do together. e mail me if like.

:wave: 165_139 .100

ALEKA Sun, Jun-08-03 15:53

Janetkind

Thanks for your comments Janetk-- I heard someone else talk about listening to your body- Sounds good to me--Good luck- Aleka