Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Has anybody done well on Atkins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111156)

roxy_foxy Wed, Jun-04-03 14:04

Has anybody done well on Atkins?

I've been off and on atkins for a while, I know I need to stick with it, but I get so frustrated. Can I get some feedback for how people have done and what they have done. I am on induction weight 150, 5'7 and I am pretty active. I have tried so many different things to lose weight. Really I want to tone my muscles and lose fat in my stomach, that is my main issue. I do weights and cardio at least 5 days out of a week. Any suggestions??

LeanLiones Wed, Jun-04-03 14:19

It doesn't look like you have a lot of weight to lose, so your weight will probably come off a lot slower than the rest of us that have a lot more to lose.

I think the best thing is to post some menus and let other people look at them.

Shellyf34 Wed, Jun-04-03 14:26

Stick to it!!

I'm almost 5'7" too, and I did really well the first time I did Atkins. Went from 170 down to 135 in about 6 months. I wasn't even working out (although I was running around finishing my last semester of college). Unfortunately I treated Maintenance like a carb fest and eventually worked my way up to 209.

I also did lowcarb on-again off-again for four years since then, but I am totally committed now. I was smart this time and started a good exercise program BEFORE I went back on induction. That over 200 thing really freaked me out!! That AND the newly diagnosed high blood pressure...Yikes!!!

~Shelly

motis Wed, Jun-04-03 14:36

I haven't lost many pounds, but this week I moved into a size 16 from a 24 after only 6 weeks. Then again, I have a lot of weight to lose, so it's coming off fairly quick at this point. I know of lots of people in my personal life who have lost a lot of weight doing Atkins.

Just to reitterate what you must already know....

Atkins is not a diet, it has to be a lifestyle choice. I don't know many vegitarians who eat meat on the weekends. :)

~Angi~

LeanLiones Wed, Jun-04-03 14:38

LOL - Otis, I never thought of the lifestyle thing like that

GREAT point!!!

lkonzelman Wed, Jun-04-03 14:39

Started tight size 16 in September and now very comfortable 10.

The weight has stayed the same for a while but I continue to lose inches.

Like everything else you ever learned about dieting ... LC is different. Have you taken measurements?

lbiessen Wed, Jun-04-03 15:19

Started atkins 2/3/03 lost right at 31 pounds. I love this way of life.

AmyTN Wed, Jun-04-03 15:21

I've lost 45lbs in a little over 5 months. I went from a size 12 down to a size 6. I feel great! Not only has the weight come off, but my health & overall attitude have greatly improved. Today was my 1st day actually below my goal weight & I am so happy. I started this WOE as a diet, but it has now become a WOL for me. While I've met & now exceeded my goal, I have no intention of going back to a high carb diet. In fact, I'm going to try to drop a few more pounds. Good luck! The end results are worth the extra effort.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

cetacean Wed, Jun-04-03 16:02

i've been doing atkins for a little over two weeks now and so far i've lost 7 pounds. i suspect that i may even have more to report but i'm experiencing my tom right now and am bloated from it. :)

i have been struggling with my weight for years now and for the first time, i feel like i have hope. i'm sticking with it now.

best of all, those nasty overpowering sugar cravings i used to have are no longer an issue for me. oh, happy day! :roll:

whyspers Wed, Jun-04-03 16:14

I feel like I've done well, just by following the plan. I've lost 37.5 in just over 3 months.

L

violet30 Wed, Jun-04-03 17:45

I think I am doing pretty well so far. Down 22lbs, I was a size 24, now a size 20, have loads of energy, feel a lot better, etc.

Sure, things are slowing down a bit now, but hey, as long as it keeps coming off, I'll keep smiling. :D

Birddog Wed, Jun-04-03 18:07

I have been doing Atkins for 16 months. I lost 65 pounds is 8 months. I went from a size 18 to a size 8. Atkins is absolutely a lifestyle and not a diet and I love it. :)

ANewMe Wed, Jun-04-03 18:24

birddog, I have the same goal weight and a few pounds less than your start weight, how long did you stay on induction for?

Shellyf34 Wed, Jun-04-03 18:24

WOW Birddog! THAT is amazing! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

You inspire me to STAY at goal this time!!! :D

~Shelly

roxy_foxy Wed, Jun-04-03 19:14

Measurments

I have taken my measurments before starting. I have been on induction for a week and a half, but I cheated in between there, so I am I guess starting over. I'm fine with that though. I feel better on this diet.

Birddog Wed, Jun-04-03 19:30

Quote:
Originally posted by ANewMe
birddog, I have the same goal weight and a few pounds less than your start weight, how long did you stay on induction for?

I never got off induction. I have nuts & berries every now and then, but other than that I don't stray from induction. :)

LoLa Girl Wed, Jun-04-03 19:35

I've been on induction for about a week. I've lost about 7 pounds and gone down a size. I have never felt better in my life! I have much more energy, and don't constantly crave sugar and bread like I used to. I just went to my favorite restaurant today with a friend and didn't so much as crave my all time favorite rolls from this restaurant. This was how I knew I could suceed at this WOL. For me to resists fresh warm rolls with butter is a victory in itself!

GOod luck!
:wave:

GramnGramp Wed, Jun-04-03 21:01

100 days on Atkins.
13 lbs lost

I didn't measure until a while after I had started. But since then I've lost:
2" off my waist
2 1/2" off my midriff
Wish I'd measured my tummy. But I know it's smaller too.

Just keep telling myself to ignore the scales.

So why do I jump on the scales first thing every morning?
The :devil: makes me do it just to torment me!

dxhman Wed, Jun-04-03 21:08

Effects of Atkins

My wife is in her 5th month bringing our child into this world and have lost right at 20 lbs. Biggest thing is that I bought 2 suits recently and I will have to have them altered as the slacks are probably 2 inches too big. Thats a big difference!!! :thup: :roll: