Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   attacked for my ways (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=100447)

NANCI B Tue, Apr-22-03 16:16

attacked for my ways

I was just verbally attacked by a neighbor about atkins. She is a nutritionist (maybe that should be a capital N) Holly Cow. she read me the riot act. Also suggested that Dr Atkins died due to this diet. It went on and on. I just took it........ cause I feel superior to her ignorant attitude. Has anyone else been attacked or even lost a friend because of this.? I didnt even tell her about it. She heard that I was doing Atkins from my mother. She was acting as if I had ranked her mother or something.

Just wondering if this kind of thing has happened to anyone else?

Nanci

tamarian Tue, Apr-22-03 16:38

She's a nutt case!

Dr. Atkins was 72, and played a mean game of tennis, walked a mile a day to his office.

Is she saying those who are on the Atkins Diet are in danger of slipping on ice and hitting their heads on the curb under icy conditions? Pray for her, for she's wacked :)

I'm always tempted to rebut, with a list of low-fat and/or vegan athletes who were crusaders for their lifestyle, and died in their 40's due to a heart attack.

But, what's the use. They folow superstitions, we follow scientific studies, guess who's winning? She might be afraid of losing her clients, due to the recent popularity of low-carbing.

Might be worth calling the police on her if she keeps at it.

Wa'il

saski Tue, Apr-22-03 16:42

Just remember, the rest of the world is slowly catching on. In a few years, this lady will be spouting off about Low Carb to her clients as if she invented it.

I had almost the opposite experience yesterday. My DH and I went to Starbucks for coffee, and I heard the counter lady say to the folks in front of us, "Are you doing Atkins? Most people on Atkins get the heavy whipping cream in their coffee."

So being a natural buttinsky, I asked, "ARE you on Atkins?"

She said yes she had just started, so I whipped out some Splenda packets and gave them to her.

Two more people at the end of the line joined in, and we all sat outside and had a low carb pow-wow! It was fun!

NANCI B Tue, Apr-22-03 17:37

Wish I'de have thought of that

Why can I never think of great come backs like that!!! Thank you Wa'il.

nanci

celtinore Tue, Apr-22-03 18:30

Sigh ... so sorry you had to endure that! Sounds like you handled it well, though. There are always people in the world who think their way is the only right way, and anyone daring to try something different obviously needs to be set right!

And I agree with Tamarian ... it probably wasn't <I>you</I> who set her off; I'd say it was watching patients go against her advice and prosper. Nothing eats up the control freak like seeing a prodigal prosper. :D

Thalie Tue, Apr-22-03 19:20

When I started doing Atkins, a friend of mine called me to tell me all the bad stuff you all heard about Atkins. And she sent me a few web sites with many many reasons for not doing Atkins.

But, another friend had lost 30 lbs on Atkins and my doctor had talked to me about Sugar busters. So I already knew it was a good diet. She didn't change my mind at all!!

We have get togethers on friday's with some friends and she's not coming anymore. Frustrated that we choose to eat well and cut the carbs. Too bad for her. We're having fun anyway :)

Fester_Jr Tue, Apr-22-03 19:42

In my opinion it's just plain arrogant to assume there is only one universal, all-encompassing dietary solution when we don't yet completely understand the mechanics of human physiology.

I know what works for me.

I know what doesn't work for me.

Period.

Oh sure, my best friend loves to go on and on about how dangerous LC'ing is. He smokes 2-and-a-half packs per day, drinks beer by the case and eats Sour Cream chips for breakfast but he knows what I should be eating :rolleyes:

It's your life, so you just keep on doing what's right for you :thup:

I say: Nutritionist, feed thyself...

redawn Wed, Apr-23-03 09:57

yup had a friend who is a nurse who was in the play with me. . .go on and on how she hates when women come in saying they are doing the Atkins no carbs (I quietly added LOW carbs). . for example she goes One woman came in and her daughter bought her a whole case of those protien bars and that is what she is eating . . .Well I replied I don't do that. . .Well all that protien is bad for you kidneys. . .I replied that I am eatting healthier than I ever have in my life. .. salads and veggies. . .starwberries. . whole foods only. .. no effect. . .she hates this diet and is convinced it will kill me. . .hum I am thinking the extra 130lbs. would kill me quicker. redawn:)

celtinore Wed, Apr-23-03 15:37

But if you (Redawn) kept carrying that 130 lbs while trying to quietly starve to nothingness on a lo-fat diet, and dropped dead in the process, I'll be that nurse would have nothing but praise for you. Some people just have to be right, no matter what the cost.

gotaloseit Wed, Apr-23-03 21:40

I think you did right......why stoop to other peoples level of stupidity. No one would ever walk up to someone and totally tell them off for how they manage their money, run their household or many other things but people think it is alright to tell you how to care for your body. For gosh sakes, a hundred years ago they thought it was a good idea to bleed you when you were sick..........where are all the people who thought that was a good idea now????? I think people who are in any medically related feild are scared s**tless by the LC'ing because they have tried time and agin to prove it was bad for you and they cant.....who are they going to push their drugs on if we (the public ) find out we can eat all the goodies and still be healthy and thin......can you imagine if people had to stop taking heart meds and blood pressure meds and insulin............the monetary loss to the medical community would be staggering. Gives you something to think about doesnt it??????????

So give me my steak and veggies with butter and be quiet all you naysayers!!!!!

nealworld Thu, Apr-24-03 09:54

Sadly, I must admit, I was upset with my friend for being on Atkins. That was two years ago. One year ago, I went to a cardiologist/nutritionist team who focus on weight loss and to my surprise they put me on low carb diet! LOL!

I still can't find out how many carbs it was for my foot in my mouth??? LOL!

Love and let live, she obviously has other issues she is angry about and decided to take them out on the Atkins diet.

Sometimes, I feel like diet rituals are like religion or politics. (Ex: You don't want to mention being a republican, incase their is a devout democrat in the room who needs to blow off steam.) LOL!

Imagine all the low fat dieters stuck in her cycle of advice! ARGH!

Keep going, there would NOT be this many of us that find it working if it didn't work. : )

Wendy :daze:

NANCI B Sat, Apr-26-03 12:19

Foot in mouth

Hey wendy, I believe that ones foot is 100% protien and fat. Absolutely carbohydrate free. Thank God for that as I often dine on this particular delicacy.

Nanci

liz175 Sat, Apr-26-03 16:24

Quote:
Originally posted by celtinore
But if you (Redawn) kept carrying that 130 lbs while trying to quietly starve to nothingness on a lo-fat diet, and dropped dead in the process, I'll be that nurse would have nothing but praise for you. Some people just have to be right, no matter what the cost.

I bet that if this happened the nurse would have said that you weren't doing lowfat right because if you were you wouldn't be 130 pounds overweight. Some people just refuse to believe that we can get really fat on a lowfat diet -- they think it is because we are secretly sneaking around eating lots of fatty foods.

celtinore Sun, Apr-27-03 08:56

Have you ever seen the carb count on those lo-fat cookies that come in the shiny green boxes???? Geez ................

liz175 Sun, Apr-27-03 09:12

What shocks me is the carb count on lowfat and nonfat frozen yogurt. I used to eat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream because I thought it was healthier -- I would have been better off with ice cream. The things the lowfat craze deluded us into doing!

willeke Sun, Apr-27-03 10:53

My husband was very much against me doing Atkins, so I first tried other no sugar diets, which didn't work. I decided to do Atkins in November last year, and he hated the idea and it caused much friction between us, also the fact that we never could eat the same
He has diabetes and has been increasingn his tablets since two years, because he was allowed to have carbs and even sugar... professional nutritional advice.!!!
The tablets didn't work anymore, so last week he decided to test his blood during a day of low fat... and bloodsugar went up and up, then a day ultra low carb, and it went down from far too high to normal in one and a half day!
It looks like he is convinced now, only he doesn't want lots of fats, he says. But he's been flabbergasted by the amount of carbs in all kind of "innocent" foods! And a bit of cream with cocoa as a snack in the evening is lovely...

I so hope it will continue, then we will be ablke to lose weight together, east together and hopefully even grow OLD together!!

Willeke

Wolfiesask Tue, Apr-29-03 10:17

been there

I know how you feel. I was attacked at work by a co-worker, who happens to be a Nutritionist (and a vegetarian, enough said) about how unhealthy it was for me to be on this. I basically told her what I was doing was none of her business and that coffeeroom chat was not intended to be dissected in such a manner. She went on and on in an email about this and that and I finally said to her....Is it better for me to stick to a "traditional" diet and die by 35 of diabetes or do this. That shut her up for good.

People have the right to their opinions, like my mom says, opinions are like ~$$holes, everybody's got one. Let them think what they want, don't take their crap, and live your own life.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this.

Nicole :wave:

NANCI B Wed, Apr-30-03 16:33

nicole, it is good to know that I am not alone. I just cant imagine going up to someone and ripping into them when their opinions are unsolicited. I would never do something like that. This woman and I have been neighbors for 20 years and we have been superficially social, but never had a relationship that would warrant her attack.

oh well........... I think I will paint my house bright pink so she will have to look at it every day. :) . that will learn her.

Nanci

orygungirl Thu, May-01-03 01:26

I work in a Book Store and we have a huge display of all of Dr. Atkins' books... and today a customer was looking at them and remarked... " I will bet that they find out that the reason he fell in the first place is because he had a stroke because of his ridiculous diet" i was soo angry at first.. then i felt sorry for the poor ignorant, close minded fool.. realizing that if she had ever read any of his books in the first place she wouldnt have said it... and realizing that she was the one leading a very unhealthy lifestyle most likely. I just smiled overly-sweetly at her and said... " I refuse to comment on that" lol.... I think I lost a sale.. but hey.. the customers that I have gained just by simply sharing my success as well as my families far outnumber the negative ones.

:wiggle: Tracy :wiggle: