Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Comments Box and Technical Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Attension: Major server upgrades this weekend (May 15-16) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=184353)

tamarian Thu, May-13-04 17:16

Attension: Major server upgrades this weekend (May 15-16)

Hi folks,

This weekend (May 15-16), we will be transfering the forum to our new server, on a different network.

This should be a significant improvement in processing power, almost double our current capacity, and should allow for keeping up with the current growth in our traffic.

What this means to you: There should be a short period of down time, roughly one hour during the early morning on Saturday. Once we're back up, most members won't notice any difference. For the few who have lazy ISP's (ISPs who don't update their DNS name server databases frequently enough), you will arrive at a help page, with instructions on how to find us at the new server.

What you need to do. Make sure you remember your password. The majority will not need to re-login, but some may need to, if they can only find us through the help page..

If you forgot your password you can reset it, and request a new one. Before you do that, you need to make sure we have your correct email address. You can check that from your Profile page. Then, if you need to reset your passord, click here and enter the email registered in your profile.

Known issues:

1. The gallery is working fine, but some members may not be able to use it for a couple of hours, so please be patient. This is due to network propagation, where some ISP's are faster than others.

2. The search function is not working properly yet. You can only search for posts made today. This will be fixed tonight, when the rest of the old data is restored.

This thread will be used to update you on any changes in the plan, or if you have any technical difficulties, or need to report any problems with the new server.

Wa'il

mischa Thu, May-13-04 17:30

good luck :)

tamarian Sat, May-15-04 02:55

Just an advance notice to members on line right now. I'll be shutting down the forum in a few minutes.

See you back on the other side, in an hour or so :)

Wa'il

AFwife Sat, May-15-04 03:02

Thank you for your continued support and dedication.

:)

tamarian Sat, May-15-04 04:55

We are now open in our new home. :)

Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Wa'il

tamarian Sat, May-15-04 05:16

Just a small note: The gallery is working fine, but some members may not be able to use it for a couple of hours, so please be patient. This is due to network propagation, where some ISP's are faster than others.

Wa'il

LCanita Sat, May-15-04 05:52

My connection is working veeeeery sloooowly only on this site. Other websites are at their usual crisp pace (I have high-speed cable connection).

Is there something I need to do? Will this slowness pass?

Thanks

tamarian Sat, May-15-04 05:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCanita
My connection is working veeeeery sloooowly only on this site. Other websites are at their usual crisp pace (I have high-speed cable connection).

Is there something I need to do? Will this slowness pass?

Thanks

Yes, it shall pass. This is due to our network change. The "slowness" is due to the requests being passed around to our old location, then forwarded to the new location. Once the new DNS change is propagated through the net, things should be back to normal.

Wa'il

tamarian Sat, May-15-04 08:50

One more thing: The search function is not working properly yet. You can only search for posts made today.

This will be fixed tonight, when the rest of the old data is restored.

Wa'il

dixiemamma Sat, May-15-04 08:53

thx 4 your hard work! :~)

Imber Sat, May-15-04 11:09

Wa'il

That was the smoothest server migration of any kind I've ever seen. Good job!

Imber

tamarian Sat, May-15-04 17:58

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes and the compliments.

Looks like we haven't lost anyone :)

For those still seeing the IP numbers instead of forum.lowcarber.org you might want to try a reboot of your PC, it will help in most cases.

Wa'il

doreen T Sat, May-15-04 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
For those still seeing the IP numbers instead of forum.lowcarber.org you might want to try a reboot of your PC, it will help in most cases.

Yep, that worked for me :thup:

Doreen

tamarian Sun, May-16-04 05:07

The search function is now back, with a full index of all forum posts.

Wa'il

diemde Mon, May-17-04 06:17

Wa'il, Great job on the upgrade! I didn't notice a thing! Thanks for all you do to support us!

SylviaUK Wed, May-19-04 16:06

For me I fear the site is still so unusually slow this week that it only just beats watching paint dry :(

Any chance of giving the server an encouraging kick?

tamarian Wed, May-19-04 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaUK
For me I fear the site is still so unusually slow this week that it only just beats watching paint dry :(

Any chance of giving the server an encouraging kick?

I'm afraid the problem is not with the server, it might be with your ISP or network settings, as it's not responsive, I've tested with your IP address.

Currently, we're 50% faster in database server response, 10% faster in network response, 100% faster in web server response, and 300% more capacity and system response, compared to the old server.

Wa'il

SylviaUK Thu, May-20-04 15:58

Thanks, Wa'il, I'll try kicking my ISP and see if that has any effect :D

Interestingly, I still have full speed on all my other regular sites, it's just this one which is mind-bogglingly slow. :( Hence my post here :)

tamarian Thu, May-20-04 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaUK
Interestingly, I still have full speed on all my other regular sites, it's just this one which is mind-bogglingly slow. :( Hence my post here :)

If an ISP has an out of date DNS information, then the problem will only be noticed with sites that have recently relocated, like ours.

A good ISP updates the DNS information several times a day, but some neglect it and update as late as once a week or once a month.

Wa'il