Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   average weight loss per week? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169161)

misswire Wed, Feb-25-04 13:39

average weight loss per week?

Just wanted to get feedback of average weight lost per week, my average, after induction, has only been about 1.5lbs. per week. I don't cheat, I am on owl now and eat about 25 grams per day. I do drink my water, but something I 've noticed, if I let myself get hungry and don't eat to satisfy my hunger, the weight comes off slower. I've also noticed that when I eat more foods with higher fat content I lose faster...is this true for anyone else?

Thanks,

Melissa

CindyG Wed, Feb-25-04 14:01

Hi Melissa,

You're doing great! 1 1/2 pounds is a good rate to lose at. I'm losing about 1 pound a week right now. I'm trying to bump that up a bit by drinking more water and exercising more. But I'm really satisfied with the way that I'm eating, so I'm really happy I've got a steady loss, regardless of the number.

Keep up the great work!

missaec Wed, Feb-25-04 18:42

Great job with your loss so far! I'm sticking to induction. This is my second go at it. However, I lost 10 pounds in my first week, now 5 pounds (with a day left) in my second week.

Typically it's a good assumption that on OWL you'll lose 1-2 pounds a week. Make sure to get that exercise in, because it definitely helps!

misswire Wed, Feb-25-04 19:58

Thanks Cindy and missaec, I have been exercising every night, I use an eliptical machine, (I think that's spelled right) It was really hard at first, but getting easier every day.
I just need to be more patient...physically I feel alot better than I have in a long time, no more heartburn, whoo hoo! And the chicken breast I simmered in butter topped with cheese and mushrooms is pretty nice to eat for dinner when you're on a diet...haha.

Melissa

lucyblue Thu, Feb-26-04 12:47

I started LC back in January, lost 11 pounds, then hit a bump in the road and went off the diet for about 2 weeks, i only gained back two pounds of what i had lost. However, I put myself back through induction and the weight just wasnt going anywhere, at the end of my first week i hadnt lost any, but at the end of my second week i lost 3 pounds. I'm happy to see that the weight is going but it just seems to be going sooo slow. I am now eating 25g of carbs a day. should i keep it at 20 for another week, am i losing really slowly or is it just me? I know that there is more I could be doing, i know i should drink more water (i drink 32 oz a day) i know i should exercise more. I think we have all been there though. I need a light to come on or someone to tell me that I AM NEVER going to reach my goal without exercising and drinking more water. Everyone is telling me oh youre doing good, you dont cheat, you follow the plan, but there are two key elements i leave out EXERCISE and WATER. so what do you all think, will i ever reach my goal at this rate and without much exercise and water?

AFwife Thu, Feb-26-04 12:51

YES the more fat in your food the faster you lose. I've uped my fats with olive oil and just recently with coconut oil and I lose on average 2.5 pounds a week. So far I've averaged 10 pounds a month since November 2003.

Lots of water helps too and of course exercise.

Lily

Masterdman Thu, Feb-26-04 13:29

So far I've lost at least 3-4 per week. Don't rely on the scale too much tho. I weigh myself daily and sometimes notice a 1-2 pound difference either way. I only take each Fridays scale weight and commit that one.

misswire Thu, Feb-26-04 21:59

I have found that drinking the water makes a BIG difference in the weight loss. I also am exercising, which is pretty foreign to me, but I have alot more energy since I began this diet.

I have lost another pound since my last post which is encouraging.

Wow Lily, 2.5lbs a week is awesome...thanks for the info about the olive oil and coconut oil...it's great to eat healthy fats and lose weight...you're doing great.

I've also noticed Masterdman a 1 - 2 lb difference either way on my weight and need to probably weigh only once per week, it's just so tempting to weigh every day though.

Thanks everyone,

Melissa

lucyblue Fri, Feb-27-04 12:00

I have not been eating a lot of fatty foods (it's not that i am trying to do a low fat version it's just that i LOVE veggies and chicken and that's what i eat most of) how should i up my fat intake? what types of foods should i be adding (keep in mind i dont eat red meat or pork) is there any way to increase the amount of fat without adding those meats? I am willing to try anything. thanks oh yeah what about eggs? are they hi in fat? i dont eat a lot of eggs but i would be willing to eat more

Dewi Fri, Feb-27-04 12:10

1-2 a week...If i really shake my tailfeathers and dedicte mt days to working out 3.

sjkling Fri, Feb-27-04 12:23

1/2 every three months right now....but i read something about that on the atkins website and it says it's best to lose your last few pounds slowly....wow...that was encouraging...finally, it's good to be slow at this! i was getting really frustrated, but that bit of information cheered me up. i would say the first three months averaged out to about 3 per week...the next three months probably about 1 per week...and the three-four months total was about 1/2 lb! so, it might be somewhere around 1/week at this point!

misswire Sat, Feb-28-04 08:33

Lucyblue - The way I add fat is more butter when I cook. I cook alot of chicken breast tenderloins in butter in a skillet, then add whatever toppings, cheese, avacodo - but I am not on induction, I'm on owl. I also drink that low carb milk, 1 cup for breakfast every morning and I take a multi-vitaman every day. Also to add fat I eat a handful of almonds almost every day, I think there are a few other nuts you could try. I also eat a couple of eggs every other day for breakfast with cheese and ham in them. I don't like eating them every day.

Melissa

FromVA Sat, Feb-28-04 08:44

My weight loss has averaged about a lb. a week. Slow, but the inches have really come off, too. Losing slowly isn't a bad thing...you have longer to learn how to eat right, you shouldn't have a dieter's gaunt face and you give your skin time to "shrink" and maybe avoid loose skin. Exercising is good because it helps you tone your muscles and you will notice you are getting a nice shape. Keep up the good work!

reversengr Sat, Feb-28-04 09:17

Drinking plenty of water is critical to losing weight. I try to drink about 3 liters per day. I keep a 1 liter bottle with me at work at all times and take a big swig out of it every so often, and drink water with every meal - well, except breakfast, I've GOT to have my coffee :lol:

I took my son to university for a long weekend campus visit a few weeks ago and tried to be very good about what I ate, but I didn't keep up with my water intake (since it wasn't convenient to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes :p ). Not drinking plenty of water really made a difference in stopping weight loss and retaining water. I gained a pound that week, but the next week I went back to 3 liters/day and lost 3 pounds.

StarOrchid Sat, Feb-28-04 16:21

Atkins says average weight loss is 10% of what you need to lose during induction, and 5% each month after that. For instance if you had to lose 100 lbs, the avg. weight loss would be something like this:
induction: 10lbs
month 1: 4.5 lbs
month 2: 4.3 lbs
month 3: 4.0 lbs
and so on

Dumbletore Mon, Mar-08-04 14:25

I've lost 18lbs in 2 months but I seem to be stalling on my weight now I've got 24lbs to lose to reach my target

xvxwickdxv Mon, Mar-08-04 14:34

I think one of the first things everyone needs to remember is that we are all different and unique. Just because someone is losing quicker than us, doesn't mean we should also be losing at that rate.

I think 1.5 a week is great. I have only lost about 8 lbs since I started on Feb 7 but I also work out 6 days a week. I am shrinking, my clothes prove it, but if I were to expect accolades from my scale, I would probably be drowning my sorrow, so I don't look at my scale for encouragement.

Are you taking 1 day off a week to let your body rest from exercise? That's pretty important to let your muscles heal. And I don't think we can hear these words enough... Drink Water!!

Keep up the great work!

Wickd

Dazed1 Mon, Mar-08-04 19:43

Through 7 weeks, I am averaging 3.67lbs/week. I have stayed on induction because it is so easy, boring, but easy. The highest consumption of carbs for any week has been 16.3 and highest calorie average for the week was 1534.7. I am very dedicated to following this through, and maintaining my spreadsheets helps me toe the line.

Dumbletore Tue, Mar-09-04 04:35

Even though I'm on the low card diet nearly eight weeks I've only re-started training 2 weeks ago because of my dodgy knees first week I lost 3lbs and last week nothing even when I did two 3 mile runs and two 4 mile runs and kept as close as possible to the induction level and every day was turing the ketone stips a dark colour every day.

I found that I will need a energy boost before runs because I feel very drained while running.

reilly31 Sun, Mar-14-04 14:02

Hi dumbledore
I've started running as well..doing about 4 or 5 miles 3 times a week..hope to do the dublin city marathon in october. Find that unless I eat something about an hour before I head out I feel really drained.
cate

dazzawhite Sat, Sep-04-10 17:01

In the first three months I was losing on average about 2lbs per week but in the last three months it's only been about 0.3lbs per week!

Vjade Fri, Sep-17-10 15:18

Well I'm on day 11 and I've lost 12 pounds so far. Obviously, I'm still in the induction phase. In past when I've done it. I averaged 4 pounds per month. Sometimes there isn't a loss and usually I limit my salt intake and drink more water and it usually comes off. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

gwynne2 Fri, Sep-17-10 15:55

Haha, for me it's about six ounces. :)

gwu Sat, Sep-18-10 12:45

The experience of myself and most of my friends is that it's about 1 to 2 pounds a week. This also happens to coincide with what is considered "normal and healthy" rate of weight loss by conventional medicine.

If someone tells me that they are losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week, I would tell them that they are making great progress!