Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Long winter ahead and the negative of Atkins.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148159)

beachmum Tue, Nov-11-03 08:59

Long winter ahead and the negative of Atkins....

I am COLD!!!

Granted, having 80 degree weather turn into 40 degree weather overnight would make anyone feel cold, but sheesh! Losing body fat means no more isulation. Even during the major ice storms last winter I wasn't this cold. Every time my dh leaves the area I'm turning the heat up, LOL.

I love Atkins, and I love the smaller pants sizes, but there is always a downside somewhere. Brrrrrrr.

adkpam Tue, Nov-11-03 09:00

Ah, but every shiver burns fat.

4beans4me Tue, Nov-11-03 09:02

I'm noticing that I'm colder too LOL! Oh well, small price to pay for health, and like adkpam said, all those shivers burn fat ;) I'm loving my flannel lounge pants and wool socks!

vbrowne Tue, Nov-11-03 09:14

Layers, layers, layers - I love womens long johns when it's cold.

Vikki

paradise Tue, Nov-11-03 09:38

I too, am noticing that I'm much colder this winter. Last winter, I was in the weight loss phase, so I think my body was a little furnace. I do have less insulation now but the difference between now and last winter is 7.5 pounds. Now, I'm just maintaining and freezing!

Ms.Kidy Tue, Nov-11-03 09:46

I have always been a wimp when it comes to the cold. But lately I think I have been handling it a lot better.

Colleen1 Tue, Nov-11-03 11:04

But now that we're shrinking, those big winter sweaters will look good on us! They won't make us look fat!

I am speaking theoretically, though. I live in south Texas. I am sitting outside this morning, wearing shorts and a T-shirt. : - )

Mossling Tue, Nov-11-03 11:11

Since the weather here is as strange as our new governor, I never know what I'm going to need for the full day. My car looks like a closet! :eek: I have sweaters, a coat, my exercise bag, sandals, and "nice shoes you got there, Mrs. Moss" SAS tie ups all scattered in my back seat. (BTW--the comment was said with tongue firmly in cheek, but the SAS shoes are extremely comfortable.) Oh, well; we'll survive anything. And I'd rather put on layers than fat!

Jude

janetz Tue, Nov-11-03 11:18

We went from record highs to record lows in a week in parts of Northern CA, and although the clothes thing is a real hassle- shorts one day and woolies the next, it is the food choices that are hard for me- I like comfort food when it is cold and rainy- what do you all eat to keep your inner furnace worm now that you have less insulation?

Mossling Tue, Nov-11-03 11:22

Janetz,

I love spaghetti--so yesterday, for the first time ever, I bravely tried spaghetti squash. OMG, it's definitely staying on my "warm inside when it's cold outside" list. Pot roast (without the potatoes, tho, which is really hard on me 'cause that was my favorite part! Maybe I'll try turnips instead...) is another "gotta have". Haven't really gone into winter food mode yet (and I lived through that week, too. Bizarre!)

Jude

gawdess Tue, Nov-11-03 11:24

Portland Maine here...and we are really cold too! I have never been this cold before during the wintertime. Must be the 40 pounds I misplaced.

janetz Tue, Nov-11-03 11:55

Thanks for the food ideas Mossling! I will certainly try the fake spaghetti (sounds great) and pot roast too. I do eat potatoes, but only when I have been super conservative with my carbs and I eat one baked tiny red potato, and that is it, that's all I bake. They are about the size of a half dollar or smaller....I just take small bites and savor them. I am making the cauliflower mashed "potatoes" tonight because so many have talked about them that I can't stand it any longer! Winter is dangerous for me, I just want to eat heavy foods, so the tips from everyone are what will keep me strong.

Hilary M Tue, Nov-11-03 12:45

When it's cold, I like to sip on a hot mug of chicken broth. I make my own, but you can buy it canned as well.

Also, low-carb chili is a great cold-weather dish.

tholian8 Tue, Nov-11-03 12:56

I'm freezing too, I guess it's the fat I'm not wearing. When I was very fat I developed a habit of underdressing for the weather, both because of the extra insulation and because like most very fat people I dreaded having to wear layers for fear of looking even fatter. I guess I have to learn how to dress properly for winter now! :lol:

Emily

scottjan Tue, Nov-11-03 12:58

In Indiana, we too, went from hot to cold; however, today and yesterday have been comfortable. I'm happy because I always lose well in this type of weather and during the holidays. May my luck stay the same.

Dee30 Tue, Nov-11-03 13:07

lol I was just as cold at 258lbs. I'm from the south and the least amount of cool breeze that come my way i'm freezing

judyr Tue, Nov-11-03 15:09

I look forward to the day I'm chilled. I'm still in the phase paradise refered to as being a little furnace. DH won't even share blankets with me because I keep kicking them off both of us a night. This is worse then menopause.

chef Tue, Nov-11-03 15:27

I like to whip up a nice pot of chili with some hot dogs thrown in during the winter time. I also recently converted Emeril's New England Clam Chowder recipe to low carb and it was fantastic.

kyrasdad Tue, Nov-11-03 17:33

The thing I dislike about winter is that it makes it harder to grill. You can make steaks, burgers & chicken any number of ways indoors, but there is no replacing a fine strip steak or chicken breast cooked on the grill.

I should be able to grill all the way into December, and without precipitation, maybe all winter long. Winters are cold here sometimes, but they're usually brief. I'll have to pick nice days and grill a ton of stuff. :roll:

wils Tue, Nov-11-03 17:56

Up here where it gets reallllly cold we barbecue outside lots of times in winter. But I also use my indoor electric grill, it gives you those nice grill marks and it really tastes good.

diamond Tue, Nov-11-03 18:59

I am cold!!!!! and I just thought that it was only me
I've been walking around the office today wearing a
jacket. I was always the person walking around the
house with shorts and t shirts in cold weather now
its sweatshirts and pants!!!! I'm not complaining bring
on the whoosh fairy...

TES Wed, Nov-12-03 06:08

Hi All,
I am amazed at how much 50 pounds of fat used to keep me warm. Not exactly warm, but hot! I was always the one breaking a sweat no matter where I was and often was embarrassed by it, to be the only one becoming wet by just standing or sitting still. Summer and Winter, indoors or out. This problem has solved itself over the last year with my weight loss and is one of the benefits I am so happy about.

But...

Now I am really cold which is something I am not at all used to. The thermostat in the house was always kept at 64 in the winter and since I am home all day, I could get away with it. When my wife got home from work, I would build a fire to heat the room she liked to relax in. Now I have to keep the temp at 68 and am still too cold if not active. My bride is, however, much happier.

My over all stand on the change? It is much easier to get warmer, than to get cooler, and I am a much happier and more comfortable person now.

Best to you all,
T.

Janey Wed, Nov-12-03 08:28

It sure is chilly lately. I find myself wearing long sleeve t-shirts and cardigans over. I look nice and slim most days. And the comment about those nice winter sweaters looking good now. I agree. I love them.

As for winter cooking...I grill all winter long. DH knows to shovel a path for me from the backdoor to the grill. There's nothing like steaks cooked outdoors.

AshGrrrr Wed, Nov-12-03 08:33

The high here today is 82. :cool: If I have christmas in shorts, I will not be a happy camper.

Mabel Wed, Nov-12-03 13:05

How does one make low carb chili? I was wondering what I'd do without chili this winter.

amtuamor22 Wed, Nov-12-03 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetz
We went from record highs to record lows in a week in parts of Northern CA, and although the clothes thing is a real hassle- shorts one day and woolies the next, it is the food choices that are hard for me- I like comfort food when it is cold and rainy- what do you all eat to keep your inner furnace worm now that you have less insulation?

:lol: This weather has been crazy. I personally love cold weather. I do think my body is having a hard time dealing with the sudden change of 80's to 50's and 60's.

wwdimmitt Wed, Nov-12-03 17:08

Check the recipe threads for chili.

LC chili is simply good meat, chilis, other spices you like, and perhaps a bit of unsweetened tomato for the sauce if that appeals to you.

Much, much better than chili with beans in it. IMHO, of course!