Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   what to do when you get tossed off the wagon? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=410047)

awlass Mon, Mar-29-10 13:01

what to do when you get tossed off the wagon?

not exactly falling off, but slamming into the ground and tumbling off a cliff into shallow waters with jagged rocks ... :help:

how do you deal when you mindlessly binge on 85 net carbs in one sitting??? thats more than 4 days worth!! :nono: :skull: :bash:

I ate about 2/3 of it and tossed the rest cause it started making me sick... :Puke:

If I cant even get through 3 days how am I supposed to make this my way of life? :confused:

mjhoss Mon, Mar-29-10 13:12

For me, it took discipline to get through the 2 weeks and after that, it was much easier and I felt fantastic.

I just planned to "fall off the wagon" this past weekend and feel misearable and gross right now. I wish I had just stuck with it.

When you feel the momentum behind you of losing weight, feeling good and being in control of your eating, I think it's easier.

Stick with it....you'll see results!! And work like mad to get through 2 full weeks on induction. If you screw up, start over :) Good luck!

kazLaJauna Mon, Mar-29-10 13:14

You just do it. Do you want a healthy body? Do you want it badly enough to stop the insanity? So you stepped down off the wagon, now pick yourself up, dust yourself off. Write a journal on how it made you feel and start eating healthy the very next meal. Don't wait another day, or another week. Do it now. Everyone makes stupid choices from time to time. You get to do over...that is the difference between success and failure.... Quiting = Failure. If you refuse to quit then you can't call yourself a failure. Keep moving forward.

SheriS Mon, Mar-29-10 13:19

Jump right back on the wagon...don't let it take off down the road with you chasing behind. Everyone has fallen a time or two or three or one hundred. Just get back on....I am after getting thrown off one day shy of 2 weeks.

Samantha22 Mon, Mar-29-10 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazLaJauna
You just do it. Do you want a healthy body? Do you want it badly enough to stop the insanity? So you stepped down off the wagon, now pick yourself up, dust yourself off. Write a journal on how it made you feel and start eating healthy the very next meal. Don't wait another day, or another week. Do it now. Everyone makes stupid choices from time to time. You get to do over...that is the difference between success and failure.... Quiting = Failure. If you refuse to quit then you can't call yourself a failure. Keep moving forward.

What she said!

Nicolby Mon, Mar-29-10 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
What she said!

Agreed, she said it much better than I could have!

Elizellen Mon, Mar-29-10 14:44

You just need to make the very next bite 'legal' and keep on making the same choice!

cnmLisa Mon, Mar-29-10 14:49

Instead of thinking about LIFE, just concentrate on the next hour, the next meal, the next snack, the next day. Before you know it, it's a way of life.

And you say you're on day 3?? DDT! Dreaded Day Three

This is about the time when you are switching from using glucose as your primary source of energy to using fat. Those carbs you were stuffing down...was your body telling you that it doesn't like this new transition of using fat because crappy carbs are so much easier to utilize.

The trick???!!!

There is no trick I'm sorry to say. You just have to power thru day 3-5. Once you hit around day 6-7 most cravings are gone. By the time you hit 14 days, you have the worst under your belt.

You just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

mer23 Mon, Mar-29-10 14:54

Get back on there girl!!!

aj_cohn Mon, Mar-29-10 15:50

First, be kind to yourself. Classify your experience as a mistake, but do not classify yourself as a failure.

Second, get a *live* support network, people you can call when the cravings hit, preferably of people who's walked the path you're on.

Third, start writing about your struggle, even if it amounts to "vomiting" on a computer screen. Once you see your insanity in black and white, the rational/nurturing part of you can write back in response.

Fourth, and this is only my experience, OA is a great support group. They don't know jack about nutrition, so they focus on the spiritual dimension of the eating compulsion and provide a good live support network.

awlass Mon, Mar-29-10 19:09

OMG i just added up all my foods for the day and this is what i came up with...

Cals = 2838!!!
Net Carbs = 188.95!!!
Fat = 165!!!
Protien = 130!!!

HOLY S***!! How could I be so stupid?!?!?!
I hope this doesnt make me gain back all that Ive already lost... Day 1 of induction tomorrow.. hopefully for the last time!!

cnmLisa Mon, Mar-29-10 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlass
OMG i just added up all my foods for the day and this is what i came up with...

Cals = 2838!!!
Net Carbs = 188.95!!!
Fat = 165!!!
Protien = 130!!!

HOLY S***!! How could I be so stupid?!?!?!
I hope this doesnt make me gain back all that Ive already lost... Day 1 of induction tomorrow.. hopefully for the last time!!

That is where people make their mistake. Day 1 of induction DOES NOT start tomorrow. Day 1 of induction starts at your next meal.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

DeeCt Mon, Mar-29-10 19:25

Just like the other have said get back on track... nobody can tell you what to do, you need to find this out for yourself! This is my 4th time doing this.. I needed to find out what works for me, and what doesn't... I have found that when I want to screw up, I come here and READ!! Once you can get past that 3rd day... things are beautiful.. you just have to want it!

hysteria Mon, Mar-29-10 19:46

awlass - just don't give up!

Can you think what triggered your binge? Understanding why/what happened is a good way to try and avoid the situation in the future.

For me, if I know I don't have any LC food prepared to grab out of the fridge (egg muffins, deviled eggs, hard boiled eggs, tuna patties...) it seems the carb-creature starts whispering in my ear. I always try to have something handy in the fridge to grab. So far it hasn't been an issue, but I know it has in the past, so I am prepared this time :)

Quote:
Day 1 of induction starts at your next meal.
- what Lisa said :D My induction officially started at lunch on 3/3.

awlass Mon, Mar-29-10 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
That is where people make their mistake. Day 1 of induction DOES NOT start tomorrow. Day 1 of induction starts at your next meal.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

HEHE... next meal is brekkers :lol: its 7:30 and with my twins bed time is 9, so I sleep when they do or not at all!

MsGinger Tue, Mar-30-10 05:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

PERFECT!!!! I believe (and do) exactly what you said. Because, a lot of times, for me, tomorrow never comes, it's always, "tomorrow, I'll start", and then I have some other reason why I have to wait for the next tomorrow.
What's wrong with starting at the next meal? I totally agree!!!
Sometimes, just reading that comment makes it "click".

*Sheila* Wed, Mar-31-10 05:27

WEll, let's see it depends on this:

If I get tossed off ~ like I did in '08 during Hurricane Ike and the two weeks of living out of someone else's home and limited groceries because of supply and demand, I just deal. I knew that when life went back to normal, so would my eating ~ go back to my normal WOE of Atkins.

If I choose to jump off with both feet ~ I plan it, set the dates, and KNOW when I am going back. Part of it is restocking with loads of lc goodies that I may not have eaten in a while ( like jalapano poppers, lc cheesecake, avacados) so that I know I will be back on and enjoying every moment. I NO LONGER allow myself to feel guilty for jumping off the wagon and indulging a bit. This is MY life, and this is how I have in the least maintained what I have lost so far.