Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Burger King jumping in... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159213)

2000Xterra Tue, Jan-13-04 15:52

Burger King jumping in...

Burger King goes bun-less, adds high-protein salads
From wire reports
NEW YORK — Burger King is joining the low-carbohydrate parade by offering bunless Whopper hamburgers and, soon, salads featuring steak, chicken and shrimp.
The bunless sandwiches, which will be available nationwide beginning Tuesday, will come in plastic salad bowls, with knife and fork.

Dieters also will be able to order Whopper meals that substitute salads for French fries and bottled water for soft drinks.

Burger King, the nation's No. 2 hamburger chain behind McDonald's (MCD), suggests that its restaurants charge the same for burgers with or without the bun. Because most of its stores are franchised, the company cannot mandate prices in them.

While bunless burgers will be available in all 8,000 U.S. restaurants immediately, the new salad line will debut in phases. Those featuring chicken and shrimp will roll out in February and March, but steak versions won't appear systemwide until May.

"It took us a little longer to get the quality we wanted," Russ Klein, Burger King's chief global marketing officer, said of the sirloin steak strips option.

Burger King's introduction of low-carb fare follows that of some competitors. CKE Restaurants (CKR) Hardee's and Carl's Jr. chains feature burgers wrapped in lettuce.

McDonald's restaurants in New York City have posters and brochures advising customers how they can lower their carbohydrate intake by modifying what they order. Wendy's International (WEN) has similar nutritional information posted on the Web.

Burger King also is debuting a Web site, www.haveityourway.com, that shows how many carbohydrates, calories and fat each meal component contains.

One Midwestern Burger King franchisee who asked not to be identified said customers had been coming into his restaurants for years ordering Whoppers without the buns, "so all we're doing is formalizing a process."

Burger King is owned by a group of investor firms, including Texas Pacific Group, Bain Capital and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners.

Privately held Burger King is trying to improve sales and reverse a 22% decline in customer traffic over the previous six years.

The menu changes reflects similar measures taken by McDonald's, which credits its meal-size salads with turning around sales at its struggling U.S. restaurants.

In the wake of the popular protein diet wave, Burger King continues efforts to capitalize on its fire-grilled image, setting itself apart from restaurants that fry meat.

By spring, Burger King will add a one-third pound Angus beefburger to its menu, in addition to the steak strip, shrimp and chicken strip salad offerings.

"We may not have been the first, but we feel like we're now clearly offering the preferred burger in the industry," both for meat lovers and low-carb dieters, said Russ Klein, the company's chief global marketing strategist.

Burger King added three low-fat chicken baguette choices to its menu in September, each containing less than five grams of fat.

Like McDonald's and Yum Brands (YUM), which operates the KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell chains, Burger King faces growing competition from fast-casual chains that are responding to consumers' desire for fresher, healthier foods.

Burger King had $11.3 billion in systemwide sales in fiscal 2002.

redawn Tue, Jan-13-04 16:12

I am a taco bell addict. . .COME ON TACO BELL! redawn:)

WeeOne Tue, Jan-13-04 17:12

This is great news!!!

I sure wish that the media would quit calling it a "protein" diet. It makes it sound like all we eat is meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a pet peave of mine.

Wee

MissRachel Tue, Jan-13-04 17:54

Oh wow. I am so happy to hear this!!

chunkybutt Tue, Jan-13-04 18:21

Hardees also makes a "thick burger" lettuce wrap. I had it a few weekends ago on a road trip and it was wonderful!

J.J. Tue, Jan-13-04 18:41

Bob Evans restaurants (Owens in some areas) has also jumped on the low carb wagon by offering "Protein Lovers " Breakfast plates. Basically it is just eggs with extra sides of sausage and bacon. I'm really not that impressed because DH and I have been ordering the low carb version of all their meals already and they have been very agreeable about helping us with our choices. In fact, the manager and three of the waitresses at our local Bob Evans is on the Atkins.

There will be more restaurants jumping in.........you just watch!! :yay:

Lilla Tue, Jan-13-04 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkybutt
Hardees also makes a "thick burger" lettuce wrap. I had it a few weekends ago on a road trip and it was wonderful!

I had the Carl's Jr version of this and it was heavenly.

orchidday Tue, Jan-13-04 20:49

I am looking forward to trying the new burger king menu! Sounds great for those days when you are out doing errands and don't want to spend a lot for lunch.

I agree let's see what Taco Bell can come up with. I was surprised to see the new product they just rolled out - it is a big ole stupid burrito thing with beans and rice and tortilla - I am kind of wondering what marketing exec is going to get axed over this! LOL Orchid

rice_boi Tue, Jan-13-04 21:42

what about lowcarb pizzahut!!!! hopefully they intro some lowcarb super thin pizza crust :p

scorpio381 Wed, Jan-14-04 09:18

WE'RE TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!! (evil laugh)

If you have an O'Charley's in your area, I hear they have a low carb section now too, although I haven't been there yet to see if that's for real.

Epicurus88 Wed, Jan-14-04 09:30

When TGIFridays got their official Atkins menu, a friend of mine predicted that no other chain resturants (not fast food) would get the Atkins Seal of Approval untill some significant amount of time had passed. This is because TGIFridays (probably should have) wanted exclusive rights to the market of Atkins friendly resturants. If they're going to spend money to print new menus and expand the menu selection, they probably demanded as part of the deal exclusive rights for a while to cover the costs.

Sounds like a sucky deal for us consumers... I'd like to see more resturants with Atkins friendly menu's.

I hate feeling like someone is making money off of me.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

kevins7189 Wed, Jan-14-04 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkybutt

agree, although it was the first time I tried to eat a lettuce burger, I was not very successful eating it like a regular burger

Ohio Kim Wed, Jan-14-04 10:06

I hadn't heard anything about Burger King Yet. That is absolutely wonderful. I'm so excited.

mommyto3 Wed, Jan-14-04 11:36

Quote:
If you have an O'Charley's in your area, I hear they have a low carb section now too, although I haven't been there yet to see if that's for real.

I didn't know that!! I haven't been there for a few weeks, but I will definitely have to check it out! It's one of my favorite restaurants.....but oh, how I miss their rolls! sooooooo goooooood! lol

BrewWa Wed, Jan-14-04 12:11

I just heard that PepsiCo is coming out with a low carb tortilla chip in Feb. It was on the business news. No details... Hope it is TRUE lc and not just reduced carb.

Cheers!
BrewWa

BLBM Wed, Jan-14-04 12:19

I heard about Burger king aswell, but really when you think about it its not much different, I have still taken the kids out to fast food restaurants well Mc Donalds to be specific and have always ordered a Big Mac with no bun lol.
burger king is offering no price reduction they are just saving the buns instead of us throwing then out
lol
. But I am thrilled to hear more and more people catching on. I tried the Atkins wraps at subway this week and they were sooooo good.

Likesspace Wed, Jan-14-04 12:29

As with all of you, I agree that it's great that we have more choices now than ever before but........
Do any of the rest of you have a problem with being ripped off simply because we are trying to eat in a more healthy way?
I mean Burger King is going to charge us the same for a bunless sandwich as those who get the entire whopper (or whatever) even though their cost on this item is much less. Between places like Burger King and those who sell the low carb products for double or triple what the original products sell for.....well, let's jsut say that it's really beginning to burn my butt.
Okay, done venting now.

BLBM Wed, Jan-14-04 12:34

LOL Like space we must have posted at the same time. I'm with you on that, there really is no deal there most fast food places added salads long time ago and I can't be the only one who goes there and gets a burger minus the bun.

Likesspace Wed, Jan-14-04 12:40

LOL. We think alike BLBM. I've already decided that I'm going to order my next whopper with the bun and then walk over and throw it in the waste receptacle. Of course I'll also make them give me my plate. :-)

BLBM Wed, Jan-14-04 12:47

LMAO go get em

Jeanne Sch Wed, Jan-14-04 12:54

GETTING RIPPED OFF!!!

I agree but then again, that is how you get the retailers first interested in furnishing you with a product. Honestly, meat and vegetables do cost a lot more than potatos and white bread (buns).

I think it would be fair if BUrger King charged the same price for:

Before: Hamburger with bun and fries

After: Bunless burger with side salad.

I think there would be a decent trade off in cost for them.
In any event, they will get my business for making an effort because I want to continue eating like this endlessly.

pjo1966 Wed, Jan-14-04 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Sch
GETTING RIPPED OFF!!!

I agree but then again, that is how you get the retailers first interested in furnishing you with a product. Honestly, meat and vegetables do cost a lot more than potatos and white bread (buns).

I think it would be fair if BUrger King charged the same price for:

Before: Hamburger with bun and fries

After: Bunless burger with side salad.

I think there would be a decent trade off in cost for them.
In any event, they will get my business for making an effort because I want to continue eating like this endlessly.

If they are serving the burger on a plastic plate and providing a fork and knife, that probably costs more than the paper wrapper the "bunned" burger gets. It probably evens out price-wise.

Lilla Fri, Jan-16-04 18:27

Just give me food I can eat with my hands, please.

Preferably while driving and talking on my cell phone. ;) Kidding.

Neil Fri, Jan-16-04 18:41

I havent tried any fast food places since I joined Atkins....

Gothicmom Fri, Jan-16-04 19:51

I forget that In and Out is only located in California, Arizona and Nevada. In and Out has had a bunless burger for YEARS! If any of you every find yourself on the West Coast, find one of these amazing fast food restaurants! They have the best burgers ever! You can order them any way you want them. The standard is a double-double (2x meat and cheese) Protein Style (bunless). You can also order them 3x3's, 4x4's etc... I actually had a friend that wanted to see if they would do a 15x15 and they did! I have been eating their bunless burgers for at least the last 5 years prior to me being on the Atkins diet. You can check out their "Secret" menu at http://www.in-n-out.com/ click on menu and at the bottom of the page clink on secret menu. It's funny, they have been in business for 50 years and they only offer 4 items... burgers, french fries, shakes and soda. That's it! And you can guarantee that you will be waiting at least 20 minutes for your food because In & Out is always packed!

Hmm... just thinking about them is making me want one! Oh, did I mention that their Double-Doubles, Protein Style has only 7 net cards? YUM!!!!

Lucy

pjo1966 Sat, Jan-17-04 09:19

In-N-Out has another option that's not even on their Secret Menu... Ask for a Flying Dutchman and you'll get two meat patties and cheese only... no sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, etc...

WIconnie Sat, Jan-17-04 10:22

I ate a Burger King yesterday and tried the double whopper..low carb. It was excellent and my husband loved it! (That's saying a lot!). We had no problem paying the price......as the "burger platter" was served and packaged in such a way that it made you feel as though you had no reason to miss the bun........that charcol flavor came through great! We're definitely going back!!

Lilbug Sat, Jan-17-04 10:29

Pizza Hut, Frito Lays, and now Burger King!! This is great!! Especially now that school has restarted!!

Bug

Gunnabe Sat, Jan-17-04 11:05

Hardees so far is the best "fast food" chain around to serve LC. They serve a Thick burger with cheese and bacon with mustard,onions and pickle wrapped in lettuce and then also half wrap it in paper so you can hold it better. Plus the beef is 100% angus ! MMMMM.

See my journal for my latest Burger King experience. :0

tristesas Sat, Jan-17-04 19:12

I got it!!! I tried the burger king LC meal it was great, not even messy as when you order a burger and ditch the buns, it was just like eating a meaty salad, Although I must add the fact I had to ask for it special because it's not even on the menu yet..they even asked if I wanted cheese or not it felt great to get it without explaining myself...usually I make them ditch the buns for me because it's too darn tempting LOL...