Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   how often do you 'cheat'? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182420)

w0rd Tue, May-04-04 16:12

how often do you 'cheat'?

i was just wondering how often you hard-core low carbers give yourselves a cheat day

MikieGirl Tue, May-04-04 17:13

i seem to have a really hard time on sundays

lynneuk Tue, May-04-04 17:17

I don't have a whole day cheat. Just one meal. If I want dessert then I have a low carb meal. If no dessert then I have anything I want for the meal.

BlitzedAng Tue, May-04-04 17:52

My idea of cheat is going over my daily carb limit with somthing like nuts or lc tortia pizza, hehe.

4beans4me Tue, May-04-04 18:45

I'm on maintenance, so I'm a bit more lax... I allow myself treats on the weekends.

addictmeHM Tue, May-04-04 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beans4me
I'm on maintenance, so I'm a bit more lax... I allow myself treats on the weekends.

You don't gain weight from doing this??

I have been cheating once a week... pretty much on weekends without really wanting to. I just seem to crash into the goodies... I ate quite a bit of sweets Sunday night and my net weight seems to be higher than it was before... it's so discouraging... I shouldn't of really seen any gain at all.

Elsah Tue, May-04-04 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beans4me

Me too although they aren't massive blowout treats. I never had a killer sweet tooth so my treats tend to be a couple croutons on my salad or 1/2 a baked potato. I actually had a couple bites of a yeast roll this weekened at a restraunt. Luckily I have the control to not eat more than just a bite or two of the things I want that aren't so good for me.

Jenn

w0rd Tue, May-04-04 19:03

i wish i had that kind of control

today has been terrible.. i have been hungry all day long and im afraid that i have gone over my 20 carbs. but i guess all i can do is start over tomorrow.

4beans4me Tue, May-04-04 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictmeHM
You don't gain weight from doing this??

I'm usually up a few pounds on Monday, but by Wednesday I'm back down. Water weight I'm sure.

xvxwickdxv Tue, May-04-04 23:19

This is my second go around with WOE. I told myself this time around it's about lifestyle, not carbs. It's a good foods vs. bad foods thing for me. When I think I am missing something or have a craving, I come on line and search for replacements or open up my cookbook and make something.

The first time around failure came for me when I didn't believe it was about my lifestyle, but rather a time period I had to do it for. Eventually I fell into the same trap as alot do. I cheated once, then twice, then thought well Saturday won't hurt me. Saturday turned into Sunday, and so forth. Pretty soon it was all week long. Next thing I knew I had put on everything I lost first time around.

I know it's hard when you miss your old favorite foods, but the way I think about it is it was those very foods that packed the weight on to begin with. If I can find a way to replace them, I don't miss them.

Alina Wed, May-05-04 00:11

Never.

No food is worth feeling miserable which I surely would after so long time.... :eek:

HeMe2Kids Wed, May-05-04 00:53

I have been on for about 17 weeks (just over 4 months) and have had a cheat about 3 times.

Now, I dont know if you would call it a cheat, as it never put me over the limit on carbs etc. Once I had a dessert, once a bite of birthday cake (and I do mean bite, not a whole piece) and once on TOM I ate ONE chocolate carmel.

Never gained or had problems going out of ketosis etc. but it really wasnt so great tasting actually. You really do lose the taste for sugar. But I am missing onion rings which I can only get in the USA, and when I am on holiday there this summer, I will have some. Whether, I eat them all, or they to dont feel so good to me anymore, I dont know.

But, it really is true, having smaller clothes, and feeling good does outweigh the taste of sugar and flour.

celestia Wed, May-05-04 01:09

I don't ever plan my cheats - honestly, I usually cheat because of an inconvenience. I cheated because I had the choice between no food or bad food. I never "plan" a cheat. My husband does though... ;)

bcbeauty Wed, May-05-04 11:34

Honestly? Its only been about 10 weeks but I have never cheated. I have gone about 2- 3 carbs over my limit once or twice...but I don't worry b/c it is always whole foods and veggies I go over with. I too am lucky as I dont have a big sweet tooth.

jennilu Wed, May-05-04 12:15

I haven't cheated, and I don't really feel the urge to cheat very often. I think it's because I really want to stick to it, and if I don't put my mind to it, I'm so screwed. :)

CARMEL W Wed, May-05-04 12:26

In the poll I ticked the box for never but I did have one cheat on Christmas night 6 sweets but none before and none since.As there was no box for once I sort of had to cheat!!?.

sjkling Wed, May-05-04 12:27

for a long, long time--like almost 6-8 months, i don't think i even gave cheating a thought. now that i am moving to maintenance, i do eat somethings once in a while that i wouldn't normally eat. i think that's part of living. i know some of you won't agree, but i still weigh myself every day and i let the scale help me determine what different foods and different amounts do to me. it seems that any time i eat something i shouldn't the scale will let me know. then i can keep myself focused--and on plan. i think i have to guard myself very carefully against eating with "reckless abandon!" i use the scale to hold myself accountable for splurging!

addictmeHM Wed, May-05-04 19:48

I can't even image going through thanksgiving without eating all the good stuff I absolutely love, mmm. pumpkin pie. :) Plus, christmas is my all time favorite holiday and I just love all the homemade cookies, can't get enough of them! I won't dare pass these things up, but i'll be sure to watch how many i'm actually eating. :p

drchickon Wed, May-05-04 22:03

I used to chaet a lot. Mostly out of convenience. I didn't have a kitchen for about 6 months when I bought my house because I was renovating and had no stove, fridge, countertops, etc. It made it VERY hard to stick with this. And I didn't. But, I am back on track now and the only "cheat" I had was a taco from taco bell one night. And it was a matter of convenience, but not a good excuse because there are plent of fast food options around now which makes it a LOT easier for me to stick to things these days.

I have a planned cheat for my birthday this month, but otherwise, I am sticking to my guns!

Dawna Thu, May-06-04 13:04

Depends on what the definition of "cheat" is. I rarely cheat with a not allowed food. I "cheat" and knock myself out of ketosis with redundancy, however, by eating more fruit than I am allowed for my OWL phase. After 9 months on this WOE and a 60 lb loss, it does not scare me anymore to get my fruit fix.

picaboo Thu, May-06-04 14:35

..........often...:-)))).........

kim532 Thu, May-06-04 14:38

post cheat bloat!

What do you do when you do fall off the wagon and you feel so bloated the next day? Can you do something quick to get rid of the water weight?

Thank you!

Gia Thu, May-06-04 20:57

I never cheat....
The "diet" is too easy.

After switching from Low-fat...this is a BREEZE.
I would like to be eating less calories though!