Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   New And Overwhelmed! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123157)

ILUVSEAN Wed, Jul-16-03 01:20

New And Overwhelmed!

Hello Everyone! Im 28 Years Old, And For The Past 10 Years I Have Gone From 140 To 210.i Went To My Doctor And She Told Me To Try Atkins, Because I Was Pre-diabetic.my Insulin Level Was Through The Roof.i Have Been Keeping A Food Journal And I Am Eating 30 To 40 Carbs A Day.is That Good?i Have Researched Alot On The Internet And I See Conflicting Theories On What To Eat.i Didnt Buy Fruit Because I Dont Know If Thats Allowed. I Am Going To Buy The Atkins Book As Soon As Possible, But Until Then What Do I Eat?is Diet Wheat Bread Ok?

LittleAnne Wed, Jul-16-03 01:33

Hi and welcome to this forum.

If you are keeping your carbs to 30 to 40 a day then you are doing OK, although some would say that if you want to do Atkins properly you should do a 2 week induction of 20 or less carbs a day.

Firstly read the top quick link on the right - which low carb plan is right for me. Whilst they are all low carb they tackle the eating regime in different ways and one may suit you better than another. Then do get the book. There is no substitute for reading the book and staying on plan.

Join Fitday.com to keep track of your carbs. Then you will be sure about what you are eating.

At the beginning it is wise to cut out fruit which is basically a natural sugar. I'd have a close look at the diet wheat bread and see how many carbs it has. I don't eat bread at all.

Have a look in the recipe section for ideas on meals. Surf peoples journals to see what is on their menus. You do not need to buy special diet foods on this way of life, just lots of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and healthy vegetables.

Every success.

twoenigmas Wed, Jul-16-03 20:36

Hi I am new to the forum. I am 28 yrs old and have been on adkins for the past 4 months. I have come to a bit of a standstill. I have severe asthma and ballooned up to a whopping 250 pounds due to steroids. I lost 60 of it about 5 years ago on the atkins. Now again I have lost and additional 20 pounds since I restarted. I eat about 20-30 carbs per day and have tried many atkins, keto, and other low carb products. I am really looking forward to reading about other low carb dieters and also would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

tinaninea Thu, Jul-17-03 06:51

GO TO WWW.ATKINSCENTER.COM AND READ THE RULES OF INDUCTION. IT'S FREE TO JOIN & THEY DONT SEND YOU SPAM & THERES PLENTY OF RECIPES TO HELP.

MsAtt Thu, Jul-17-03 09:24

i've found this forum to be of substantial help...but i also recommend you read the book... :read2: most of the answers to your questions are in there...i still refer back to it almost daily and i've read it through twice!

i am so grateful that i found this message board...it has been a real support system, and so many people have such terrific ideas and helpful suggestions...keep coming back! :hyper:

andie Thu, Jul-17-03 22:59

so many choices

there seems to be as many plans as there are people online! im thinking at 30-40 carbs a day will do the trick. i did atkins and that induction works really good to get a jump start... but i just went back on low carbs as i had slipped up a bit on that , and this time im eating about 40 carbs and exercise (which i didn't do 1st time) and its going pretty good!
i guess you let the scale be the last word!

ILUVSEAN Fri, Jul-18-03 15:32

Hey Everyone! Went And Bought The Atkins Book-so Excited!also Bought A Cardio Tape!realized I Was I Need To Do The Induction Phase.my Husband Has Been So Supportive-he Lkes Everything On Atkins Anyway So Its Not Really That Hard.everyone Has Been Patient,especially Going To The Store, Because I Have To Read All The Labels! Anyways, Starting Induction Tommorrow Wish Me Luck!can I Have Jello Or Cool Whip Lite? I Have A Mean Sweet Tooth Late At Night.take Care

RedheadFl Fri, Jul-18-03 15:48

ILUVSEAN
First congrats on starting a healthy way of eating. Read the book about the jello and sweet tooth cravings.
I can tell you from personal experience that first four days were the hardest for me but I was determined to be focused and not go off the eating plan at all. After the first 4 days all my cravings left, I was so glad I did not give into any of them. Now it is not hard for me to follow the plan BUT I plan! I always have low carb snacks ready in case I am hungry. Plan Plan Plan. You know your eating habits so plan for them while staying on the eating plan. Good Luck!

andie Fri, Jul-18-03 19:02

cream on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSEAN
Hey Everyone! Went And Bought The Atkins Book-so Excited!also Bought A Cardio Tape!realized I Was I Need To Do The Induction Phase.my Husband Has Been So Supportive-he Lkes Everything On Atkins Anyway So Its Not Really That Hard.everyone Has Been Patient,especially Going To The Store, Because I Have To Read All The Labels! Anyways, Starting Induction Tommorrow Wish Me Luck!can I Have Jello Or Cool Whip Lite? I Have A Mean Sweet Tooth Late At Night.take Care

im with you! is it coolwhip lite or real whipped cream tho?

andie Fri, Jul-18-03 19:04

P.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andie
im with you! is it coolwhip lite or real whipped cream tho?

Good Luck !!!!

andie Fri, Jul-18-03 19:06

Msatt - i love that quote! very kewl.

MsAtt Fri, Jul-18-03 21:00

thanks, andie! :dazzle: that's my man!

also i want to thank tinaninea for the link! that's a great site! i bookmarked it and will be referring to it frequently... :read2:

dreamer Fri, Jul-18-03 21:17

I am doing the 20 carbs per day, it's a combination of Protein Power and Atkins I guess. I lost my PP book and forgot the formula carbs and protein eaten daily according to weight.

Does anyone have a link so I can find out what intake is needed daily?

thanks a bunch :yay:

indigogirl Fri, Jul-18-03 23:02

Just throwing in my personal experience....I found it really important to plan properly especially at the beginning. It is really tough at the beginning to not eat sweet stuff but it is sooo worth it to resist and get through 4 - 7 days of induction.

Truly I am a huge sugar/sweet/chocolate addict but my cravings vanished. It is such a wonderful feeling to not be craving my sugar drug and it is all due to resisting the sweets at the beginning.

After I had been on induction a month or so I started having some of the atkins bars which are sweet but low carb. For me - just the sweet taste was enough to launch me into a carb binge and I got cravings all over again. I went back to induction and feel great again.

Hang in there,

Sally

andie Sat, Jul-19-03 11:32

Sally, ok ok...so its not just me! everytime i ever had Any of the low carb candies or bars .. it set me off.. i can't buy them at all anymore. thnx

andie Sat, Jul-19-03 11:35

Name of the book?

indigogirl Sat, Jul-19-03 18:13

Hi Andie,

And you know what I did today - just after writing that email yesterday and feeling so confident about resisting cravings??

I didn't even have cravings but someone told me that the new Atkins peanut butter cups were good (they are) and I found some in a store and tried them. Yuck - I feel dizzy and woozy and sick - it is just the sweet taste that does it to me.

I am going to go eat a steak and get back on track!

Sally

BIZZYGIRL Sat, Jul-19-03 18:36

The lo carb bars

So far the Almond Brownie Atkins bar is the best I have tasted. I tried a knock-off brand I found at Whole Foods Market, and since I love the taste of coffee, I tried the "Cool Cappaccino" flavor.

Big Mistake - The coffee taste came from actual GROUND COFFEE.

cured the sweet craving and the coffee craving in one bite.

and for ILUVSEAN -

Try to find a health food store listing on these low carb sites. Most big cities will have atleast one. They make low-carb just about everything it seems. I found low-carb bread that has 4g of impact carbs per slice.

but I am trying to do induction past my two-week mark and have not tried the bread - yet. It is here incase my cravings go crazy.

starr29 Sat, Jul-19-03 19:53

Pigged out the first day

I was set to this I didnt realize it was going to be so hard I am major carb addict mainly bread and diet pop. I started over today and I have done really well but I did eat some beef jerkey that my husband made the book said no carbs but after I ate it i got to thinking about the spice stuff he put in it so I dont know if I messed my self up or not. I sure hope not !!!!!

ILUVSEAN Sat, Jul-19-03 20:17

Happy to start my new life!

Hey Everyone!Started Induction today.It's not that hard since I had a week of 30-40 carbs a day.I bought the book on Wedensday night and learned that i was doing everything wrong, so I ate chocoate chip cookies and frozen burritos-I got really sick!I felt really dizzy-but now Im in the Induction phase so I'm cool.Wish me luck!By the way LittleAnne thanks for the website Fitday.com.I have been doing it for two days and it is extremely helpful!Bye

indigogirl Sun, Jul-20-03 11:42

In the cold light of Sunday morning on the day after I ate sweet stuff and felt sick all over again....I realize that the important thing is that we are paying attention to what foods make us feel good and what makes us feel crappy and perhaps that is one of the important lessons.

Last night I was jumpy and irritable and had a headache.....eating sweet stuff is like picking a rose in the dark....very short term pleasure with a potential for pain later. Not really worth it.

I'm back on track today!

Sally

andie Sun, Jul-20-03 12:13

yea .. i liked them.. i like lots of them .. but they All make me feel bad ..and usually lead to me carbing out!! just generally not a good idea for me...
and speaking of carbing out .. this weekend has thus far been a disaster so far!! and now i have to start the induction all over again!! siggggghhhhhh. sometimes i wonder if im right in the head. i know what i should and shouldn't have yet i can't seem to master the control. guess i'll just see how today goes...

ILUVSEAN Sun, Jul-20-03 17:16

We Gotta Stay Strong And On Track!

Hey Everyone! I have been reading some posts and alot of you, my new friends, falling off the wagon!!That sucks.Just try and think of what that does to your body, insulin levels, and blood sugar.Think of yourselves thin and happier and healthier.Write a post before eating somethin bad.I have stayed away from Atkins chocolate stuff, for fear of carbin' out.Anyways FitDay.com rules!!I highly recommend it.Celery and cram cheese are a good snack.I had my best friend buy me sugar free jello, but it has aspartame.It's one of the last ingredients on the box, should I eat it? Also carbonated water sweetened with aspartame?They are so good! Maybe I can buy Atkins Flavored Syrup.Anyways, keep on truckin you guys.We will all be thin and healthy real soon.

Lettieretts

bound2him Tue, Jul-22-03 07:55

Hi everyone

I see you got the answer to your question "I luv sean". I am not sure if you have it but I will give you the atkins site:

http://atkins.com/howto/index.html :read2:

Just a suggestion to everyone .. start a journal and people will come to visit it and you will be encouraged. It has been a great thing for me.

shalom
Lori

andie Tue, Jul-22-03 09:08

hey!thanks!

josie52 Thu, Jul-24-03 06:33

i have been on the atkins diet since 6/29/03 and have lost only about 3 pounds. i have gone over and over the book and believe i am strictly following the induction phase. i keep a log of whatever goes in my mouth and keep track of carbs, fats, calories, and protein amounts. anybody have any advice? i would appreciate any input. thanks

andie Thu, Jul-24-03 11:28

are u using artificial sweetners? it tells about them in the book. there is also a section for people who are Extremely insulin resistant and give an alternative diet to jump start you... might check that out? also you might try No carbs for longer than the 3 days that normally start off the induction... good luck

icadelai Thu, Jul-24-03 11:31

Have you tried the atkins candy bars... they have everything now even atkins potato chips... but the peanut butter cups are to die for... they help my craving... just a word of experiance though... dont eat to much at one time... they are the same as a lax....
yeah... lol

josie52 Thu, Jul-24-03 16:17

thanks for the advice. i will try no carbs for a few days and see if that helps. i have been averaging 45 g of protein per day., 1600 calories, 20 g of carbs and the rest of the calories come from fat. do you think this is too much protein?

josie52 Thu, Jul-24-03 16:19

also, i do use artificial sweeteners but i count each packet as one carb. i use 4 per day.