Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Packable Lunch (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126938)

Dustin Wed, Jul-30-03 20:11

Packable Lunch

Well I need some ideas for a packable lunch to take to school with me it is coming soon, and please be realistic with the ideas. I want to do them before school the night before.

~DUstin

LowCarbNC Wed, Jul-30-03 20:17

Packable Lunch

Try rolling ham/turkey with a slice of cheese in it and then just pack some mayo & mustard for dipping.
Celery and french onion dip is good instead of chips.
Cheese and crackers (I like the Cheeters crackers-garlic)

Dustin Wed, Jul-30-03 20:23

any like real food I don't like finger-foods much

galaga6846 Wed, Jul-30-03 20:25

If there is a microwave where you're at, the possibilities are endless... if not, it's finger foods all the way.

LowCarbNC Wed, Jul-30-03 20:25

Well, if you aren't on induction you could have a sandwich with the Nature's Own Low Carb bread.

hatetocook Wed, Jul-30-03 20:25

My favorite is to pack one of the new pouches of tuna along with a little mayo in a ziploc & a romaine lettuce leaf to wrap around the tuna salad.

I also like string cheese, snack size packages of walnuts (after Induction), and celery with cream cheese.

Birddog Wed, Jul-30-03 20:38

Romaine is great. I take ham and cheese rolled up in a romaine lettuce leaf with a little mustard, or tuna or egg salad rolled up in a leaf. My favorite is a hamburger patty on romaine with a little mustard, mayo and keto ketchup. Of course you would need a mirco to heat the burger. I get quite a few stares at work. Salads are great for lunch. :wiggle:

freckles Wed, Jul-30-03 21:06

ANYTHING is packable! :D If real food is what you want, then just take what you've been eating all along! Leftovers make the best lunch. Make extra of whatever you make for dinner and take it for lunch the next day. That's exactly what I do for my dh. :agree: And in a pinch (if all the dinner was eaten) I just whip up a hamburger patty the night before.

atiaran Wed, Jul-30-03 21:09

A LC tortilla can be used to wrap virtually anything! You can do a fajita or taco, wrap tuna or egg salad, or anything else you want, no microwave needed. The other thing that is wasy to do is to buy a few prepackaged salads from the grocery store. This was a common thing for me to do when I was going to grad school while LCing. Cheaper than the cafeteria too!

penelope Wed, Jul-30-03 21:15

I use this recipe but I buy drumsticks instead I bet you could use chiken legs .Just bake it at 400 f longer for the legs , like one hour.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/poultry115.html

fishburg Thu, Jul-31-03 05:50

Wow, this is a tough one for you!! I keep thinking of things I pack for my kids and they are all loaded with carbs.

How about a shake? Freeze it overnight and place it in a zip lock bag and by lunch it should be just right. Hard boiled eggs?

Does your school have a cafateria?

Dustin, you have done a great job - just do not let the new school year change all that you have done this summer!! You have a great attitude too and have been an inspiration to me!!

snookums Thu, Jul-31-03 05:56

Hi there! At the beginning of the week I fix about 6 cans of tuna with mayo, mixed in a resealable bowl. I keep it in the fridge and fix a small bowl with some lettuce for lunch. For snacks I find the resealable packages of Hormel pepperoni are good (in moderation of course). Hope this helps!

jennyxcali Thu, Jul-31-03 06:14

Hi Dustin

How about if you buy those LC Tortillas and make a tasty sandwich. A nice wrap with anyhting you like in it. Almost a proper sandwich and no one will think you are a wimp for eating it either! (I do remember high school) You could have chicken, lettuce, tomato, cheese and mayo. You could even mix in caesar derssing, that is really good too!

Maybe for a snack try some full fat yogurt on it's own, with a strawberry or 2 or with a dabble of splenda.

The Atkins Breakfast bars in Chocolate chip are really good too. I have them some days for breakfast or as a treat. They are only 2 carbs per bar and taste really good

Don't forget your bottled water - and if you want a change then try carb cooler occasionally.

If I think of anything else I will put it in. (is this real food?)

Jenny

Hilary M Thu, Jul-31-03 07:03

Wraps made with low-carb tortillas are great. I also take a salad in my lunches. I buy the pre-mixed Italian salad mix (it's Romaine and Raddichio), add a half a tomato, some chopped up ham and/or cheese, and top with ranch dressing. Add a fork, a piece of string cheese and a Diet Rite and you've got lunch! You could also add a hard-boiled egg or two if you like them. Sometimes I make a few containers of this at a time and keep 'em in the fridge so they're ready to go.

tracyw Thu, Jul-31-03 08:30

I pack my lunch every day

Since I started this WOL/WOE, I bring my lunch to work every day.
I take leftovers of whatever I made for dinner. This is usually baked chicken (baked with seasonings and olive oil) and then I make a nice salad (undressed) and I bring my dressing. I LOVE cold chicken (I'm weird- I love cold everything). I regulary bake up chicken wings and take them with me. They are easy for me to deal with. I think hamburger patties are easy and tasty cold (at least the ones I make- yummy!!)

If you prepare meats you don't mind eating cold and then eat your salad with it- you are in great shape!!

Also, I eat slices of cheese for a snack (no more than 2 slices of cheese a day).

You could also bring a shake with you and eat a salad with it.

Other wise the low-carb tortillas sound good or the wraps that some of the others have mentioned sound good and easy too. You can do it!!!

Keep up the good work!! We are all here for you!!

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy

hatetocook Thu, Jul-31-03 08:36

Just remembered...

that I had a previous thread bookmarked about this very subject. I haven't looked at it since last school year, but I think it had some pretty good ideas.

Low carb brown bags

randisue Thu, Jul-31-03 09:16

Dustin,

I used to take fried cheese to work. Sounds terrible, looks weird, tastes great. Anyone who has ever tried said they liked it.

You have to use Cheddar cheese. Fry in pan on med. When it has some body to it, flip over and fry the second side. I made large pancake-sized ones.

I also ate a lot of tuna salad with dill pickles.

Good luck to you. Have a great year.