Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   whats the best fast food places and any hidden carbs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=141883)

carol.pino Thu, Oct-09-03 06:16

whats the best fast food places and any hidden carbs

My Brother wants to start this WOL..and he is always on the road and eating out...

His Question is Does one fast food place have better low carb than another ??

Any suggestions for a hungry man on the go??

Thank you!

GEMMA70 Thu, Oct-09-03 06:17

yes take your own packed salads and take a 2 litres water bottle and take snacks with you , save money and be good to yourself.

woolina Thu, Oct-09-03 06:25

I eat out every week day and it is pretty easy to do once you are used to it. I always get a chicken sandwich without the bun, or a burger now and then (no bun) and a side salad instead of fries. Wendy's salad dressings are high in carbs. I have my own dressing and use that. If it is less "fast foody" I get brocolli instead of fries. Also order fast food burgers without ketchup. You can actually go to McDonalds.com and it will let print nutrition information for their food, also you can modify the nutrition information. I check the chicken sandwich, it gives me its nutrition information then I click "customize" and it will let you take off the bun, or the sauce, or the lettuce... and give you nutrition information for only what you actually ate.

filmlass23 Thu, Oct-09-03 06:49

When I go to Wendy's, I order a double (or even triple -- if I'm starved) cheeseburger and tell them no bread -- they put it in a baked potato container for me! Side salad for 99 cents too... it can be done!

carol.pino Thu, Oct-09-03 07:10

I guess he was just wondering if McDonalds, Wendys and Burger King use any substitues sugars or sauces that he should request off besides ketchup...

I know some salad dressings are no good, what do you think of ceaser dressing out and ranch dressing?? or blue cheese??

He wanted to order a whopper w/cheese and take it off the bun, I know they have a sauce on it (haven't had a whopper in 5 years!!)

Do you think that would be ok for him to have..???

Thank you all for getting back so fast...this site really does care for everyone.

Have a great week :) :) :)

HogarthNH Thu, Oct-09-03 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolina
I always get a chicken sandwich without the bun, or a burger now and then (no bun) and a side salad instead of fries. Wendy's salad dressings are high in carbs.

woolina,

You're flat-out completely WRONG.

Wendy's Caesar has 1g of carbs in the entire packet.
This is 1/4 that of any of the McD's or BK dressings.

carol:

Both my local BK and Wendys are quite used to me getting a burger.
I just say "Bacon Double Cheeseburger, Plain, No Bun" and they get it.

Hogarth

KristyC Thu, Oct-09-03 07:30

I eat lunch out almost everyday and get a double cheeseburger at McDonalds and a side salad. I use their dressings almost always.

black57 Thu, Oct-09-03 07:37

I ordered a protein burger at In and Out. I did order Thousand Island but asked that they use it very sparingly. It was delishhhhh.

Black57

Lori H Thu, Oct-09-03 09:05

You would probably need to leave the "special sauce" off of the Big Mac at McDonalds as it has sugar in it. I usually get the Quarter Pounder with cheese, no bun, no ketchup if I eat at Micky D's.

hey_Neener Thu, Oct-09-03 09:16

Bunless sandwiches work just about anywhere.
Arby's sliced meats and chicken are good. Subway will make any sub a salad. Cesear dressing IS different brand by brand, but ranch, bluecheese and oil/vinegar are typically safe. I checked with my pizza joint and they don't put sugar in the sauce=so I eat toppings over salad greens. Bruchi's cheese steaks over a spinach salad is excellent! Sit down/breakfast places are a lot easier. Good luck to him!

carol.pino Thu, Oct-09-03 09:28

Thank you..

Thank you everyone...I forwarded all the information you guys are great!

He called and said he found a drive through rib joint and asked for bbq sauce sparingly...

:wiggle:

hey_Neener Thu, Oct-09-03 10:09

Even sparingly is a no-no. It's loaded with sugar. He'll get his carb load in one meal+some. Those are not the carbs he needs to get in Induction. Save the ribs for late OWL or he'll need to order them without sauce.

LCMama1 Thu, Oct-09-03 10:34

Some places (carls jr) figure out the no ketchup, no bun, wrapped in lettuce thing -- but others give it to me to eat with a fork, which is fine. I've got the local place trained pretty well here. I think we will see more LC choices in the upcoming months. There's been a buzz in the fast food industry that the LCers are coming -- so get with the program!

fairey Thu, Oct-09-03 12:13

oh for an in and out anything!!!!

MadCabbit Thu, Oct-09-03 12:39

Hi everyone. I have been on Atkins for two weeks now, so I am no expert, BUT I think I am an expert when it comes to fast food. I have done my homework! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat out (I'm a 19 year old college student and despise cooking). This is what I eat when I eat out.

Wendys:
-Side salad w/o tomatoes, Caesar dressing (1 carb per pack!!)
-Any burger with bacon, lettuce, mustard, mayo, and no bun, no ketchup (ketchup has a TON of carbs)

Taco Bell:
-Crunchy taco w/o shell (for those of you wondering about the hidden carbs in the meat, I had a friend who works there check for me AND I wrote to the company requesting the carb and sugar count. They sent me a photocopy straight off the package and it is: 0g sugar and 3g carbs and 2g fiber= 1 g carbs per 1.5 ounces, not too bad for something that tastes sooo good)
-mild, hot, or fire sauce has 0 carbs
-green sauce has approximately 1-2g carbs per pack (a personal fave)

Arbys:
-Roast Beef sandwich w/o bun (again, I wrote the company and they said: 0g sugar and 0.09g carbs per 1 ounce beef soooo good on a low carb roll!!!)

Burger King:
-Grilled chicken sandwich w/o bun
-Any burger w/o bun or ketchup

If anyone is curious about carb content, you can go to www.wendys.com, www.burgerking.com, www.mcdonalds.com, etc and "customize your meal." This allows you to pick a sandwich, take off the high carb stuff like buns and ketchup, and see how much is really left. Eating out is something that is difficult to avoid but doesnt have to ruin your diet!!

Best of Luck to Everyone!!
Leigh

geosave Thu, Aug-11-11 19:30

My preferred restaurants

This is what I been eating lately:

Pei wei - General Kung Pao Chicken red velveted (they steam the chicken this way) w/o rice and extra veggies.

Chipotle - Salad bowl with chicken, sour cream, veggie fajitas, pico de gallo and cheese.

McDonad's - Caesar Salad with Grilled chicken - intead of the Caesar dressing and croutons I ask for the Low Balsamic Vinaigrete dressing.

Enjoy!

scthgharpy Fri, Aug-12-11 10:52

I think carls jr lets you "build your own meal" nutrition widget thing. I like them for the $6 burgers, you can even get a double or just ask for a plain patty! I used to get the taco salad (would freak them out when I asked for it without the shell.. They didnt know what to do with it-Im like, put it in a salad bowl! )

and in n out is a low carber's paradise...

Speaking of LC paradise, if he can find a saladbar/deli kind of place, they appear a lot in downtown business districts, they often have hot offerings, you can pick and choose what you fill your plate (or to go container) with.

black57 Sun, Aug-14-11 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
I think carls jr lets you "build your own meal" nutrition widget thing. I like them for the $6 burgers, you can even get a double or just ask for a plain patty! I used to get the taco salad (would freak them out when I asked for it without the shell.. They didnt know what to do with it-Im like, put it in a salad bowl! )

and in n out is a low carber's paradise...

Speaking of LC paradise, if he can find a saladbar/deli kind of place, they appear a lot in downtown business districts, they often have hot offerings, you can pick and choose what you fill your plate (or to go container) with.

At Carl's Jr. you can make anything low carb...that is with the lettuce wrap. But, let's not forget El Pollo Loco. They make a good effort at being a healthy alternative to fast food. When I go there I order 2 thighs, mixed vegetables and a side salad.I also enjoye their cilantro dressing but I don't trust it. It doesn't taste carby but it is delish.

keiramok Mon, Aug-15-11 09:49

Subway?
That's a fast food chain right.
I'd go for McDonalds' caesar salad too, but without the thousand island cream

beernutz Tue, Aug-16-11 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosave
This is what I been eating lately:

Pei wei - General Kung Pao Chicken red velveted (they steam the chicken this way) w/o rice and extra veggies.

Chipotle - Salad bowl with chicken, sour cream, veggie fajitas, pico de gallo and cheese.

McDonad's - Caesar Salad with Grilled chicken - intead of the Caesar dressing and croutons I ask for the Low Balsamic Vinaigrete dressing.

Enjoy!

There's nothing wrong with the Basalmic dressing I guess but the Newman's Own Caesar dressing at McDonalds only has 4 carbs in a serving.

indie Tue, Aug-16-11 13:12

Hot wings are a good choice for your brother too!

Also a lot of convenience stores are starting to carry a wide array of low carb snacks and foods. Someone here did a whole thread on just that.

Maybe you can find it and copy some ideas?

Thats about the "fastest" of the "fast" foodwise!

P.S. I found that thread - here it is:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...nvenience+store

PilotGal Tue, Aug-16-11 13:39

this morning i went to buy mayonnaise at the market.
I saw Duke's "Light." I read the ingredients and the fat was removed but High Fructose Corn Syrup was added.
I say, try to limit the chemicals we're ingesting in our daily food.
steer clear of the salad dressings at McD's.. et.
i just read the ingredients in the Newman's Own Caesar salad dressing. It has Corn Syrup in it.
I believe these chemicals are killing us.
Limit your accessibility to chemicals.

when I travel and must eat, I think Waffle House is the safest. I figure the turnover they have in eggs, has to be the safest of all the fast food joints available on the highway..

Elizellen Wed, Aug-17-11 05:34

:thup: Well done for reading ingredients lists before buying!! :thup:

Yes, we really do have to watch the "lite" or "low/no fat" dressings, as they have to add some kind of sugar to make them taste anything near nice!

girlbug2 Wed, Aug-17-11 08:27

That all being said, if you live in the right area for Vietnamese food, get Pho. It's a soup made of hot beef broth which the customer puts meats, veggies and noodles in...just skip the noodles. Around here a "small" order of pho is still more than I can eat/drink in one sitting, usually costs 3-4 dollars, and has fresh herbs, meat and veggies that put most restaurants to shame. Pho is my new favorite LC discovery...

I was living in Little Saigon for 12 years and for some reason afraid to step into an authentic Vietnamese restaurant but now I wonder what I was afraid of.

Yes Pho qualifies as fast because of course they make the broth ahead and get your order together quickly.

geosave Wed, Aug-17-11 18:16

Hamburger!

Another place I went for the last two days here in Dallas:

SMASHBURGER :roll:

I asked for the 1/2 pound Classic w/o the bun, of course, then I asked for 2 fried eggs (yes, they do add a fried egg for $1 a piece).
IT WAS AMAZING!!! Their hamburger tastes delicious and they bring the catchup and the special mustard on the side.

You can also add garlic mushrooms for another $1. :clap:

sunris1965 Wed, Aug-17-11 20:15

Has anyone tried Hardees low carb breakfast bowl. It says 6 carbs I think but I'm leary of it. For lunch at McDonalds I get a side salad and put a plain double cheese burger on top and no dressing. The burger is greasy enough don't need dressing

abbykitty Thu, Aug-18-11 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosave
Another place I went for the last two days here in Dallas:

SMASHBURGER :roll:

I asked for the 1/2 pound Classic w/o the bun, of course, then I asked for 2 fried eggs (yes, they do add a fried egg for $1 a piece).
IT WAS AMAZING!!! Their hamburger tastes delicious and they bring the catchup and the special mustard on the side.

You can also add garlic mushrooms for another $1. :clap:

where is this?? never heard of it!

TChice Thu, Aug-18-11 09:54

In N Out and Carl's Jr. For those on the west coast.
5 guys burgers, moes, and chipotle work too. I am especially a fan of Moe's nutrition widget.

As far as dressings - they are a pita! I still go witg store bought dressing for now, but I make my own mayo- it's pretty easy.

faduckeggs Thu, Aug-18-11 10:03

Smashburger is awesome. It is a nationwide chain, but we have them here in Addison, Arlington, Uptown, Ft Worth, Frisco. The one nearest me is in south Arlington, on Cooper, south of Bardin, in the new strip mall that looks like something our of Aladin.

http://www.smashburger.com/locations.php

faduckeggs Thu, Aug-18-11 10:15

But speaking of Dallas-area burgers, Twisted Root is awesome. They have every imaginable type of brger, avaiable over a salad instead of on a bun. and they also offer buffalo, venison, rukey and ostrich, if you don't want beef.

There is one in Deep Ellum, right across the street from St. pete's Dancing Marlin, and another one in Plano, at the Shops of Legacy.