Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What's your best stall breaker? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=168185)

jennabrams Fri, Feb-20-04 13:59

What's your best stall breaker?

Hey everyone...just wondering what your best stall breaker techniques/ideas are? I know most people stall when they get close to their goals, but I was just looking for some healthy, natural advice on how to break a stall...I exercise a lot and my one weakness is whipped cream, only about 2 T. a day...could this be causing slower weight loss?
Thanks so much for the great help and advice...have a nice weekend!
Jenn

yvonne326 Fri, Feb-20-04 14:23

Cutting back tremendously on dairy and eating more salad greens per day. Helped and continues to help me thus I feel my goal is within reach.

Dewi Fri, Feb-20-04 14:25

Ruffage, RUFFAGE, Ruffage!

Hilary M Fri, Feb-20-04 15:21

Time. Wait it out.

LadyBelle Fri, Feb-20-04 15:48

For me it was doing KISS

I had no dairy or sweets period. (dairy is a real staller and cream is a trigger food for me). If you are having prewhipped cream then it is probably also sweetened and full of sugars.

With KISS I kept my fat around 70% of my calories and my total calories between 1200-1400 (Actually I had a hard time getting to 1200 and had to battle my way up). I would have all the LC veggies, meats, eggs and fat I wanted. Kind of like Atkins induciton, but with no dairy, no LC fake foods, and very little processed meat.

jennabrams Fri, Feb-20-04 16:00

Thanks for all the great advice...what does KISS stand for? Is it something in DANDR? I think I'm going to take your advice and cut the whipped cream out and really just hit the basics. I pretty much avoid LC stuff because so many people struggle with it, but I think giving up dairy might be a good idea...
Jenn

JaydensMom Fri, Feb-20-04 16:54

Yes, what does this "KISS" stand for? I have seen several people mention it here, but have no clue as to what it means. :)

maggieb Fri, Feb-20-04 16:55

Info on KISS

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/irock/kiss_rules.html

bevbme Fri, Feb-20-04 16:57

Keep It Simple Stupid

Its a phrase thats been around a while and can be applied to a lot of life not just your diet.

JaydensMom Fri, Feb-20-04 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevbme
Keep It Simple Stupid

Its a phrase thats been around a while and can be applied to a lot of life not just your diet.

Wow! Nice name! Lol. After reading about it, it seems really strict!

jennabrams Fri, Feb-20-04 17:26

Maggieb- thank you...that site is great. It really explained a lot to me...have you done it?
Jenn

toning_up Fri, Feb-20-04 17:27

Actually with the exception of the dairy and a little processed meat like bacon, it's almost identical to the real Atkins induction. Meat, veggies, dairy. That's all Atkins really allows on induction. It's the users who have corrupted it to include LC products(shakes, bars, breads, cereals), nuts, jello etc.

The pure induction is a very simple thing.

trustycat Fri, Feb-20-04 19:17

i think limited dairy is ok as well (esp since it provides calcium)-- like atkins says, 4 oz cheese.... the prob is that some people eat too much cheese on induction or use waaayyy to much heavy cream, which stalls them. similarily, not eating one or two slices of bacon is not gonna make u loose tons of weight, but not eating a whole packet of bacon will help u out =)
i've never formally done KISS but after rdg about it, i did cut back on cheese, bacon, and some deli meats and tried to incorporate more veggies...didn't see a huge swoosh, but actually felt healthier!

i think the key to breaking a stall is some dramatic change in the diet-- lots of people on this forum comment on "planned cheats" or eating all-carbs for a day can shock the system, I read one post about eating nothing but soup for 2 days, another thing someone said worked was only eating cheese for 2 days straight.... i guess it worked for them, but i think the best idea is to just wait a stall out

LadyBelle Fri, Feb-20-04 19:52

Quote:
like atkins says, 4 oz cheese.... the prob is that some people eat too much cheese on induction or use waaayyy to much heavy cream, which stalls them.

For some people even those 4 oz cna stall them. For me any heavy cream means alot of cravings and no loss. It really is an individual thing.

As for the only eating soup for a few days, there's the cababge soup diet. Last time I was sick I lived off chicken broth for 2 days. With the extream sodium level I actually gained a pound. As for the cheese for 2 days, that sounds like a good way to get constipated :)

KristyC Fri, Feb-20-04 19:54

Cutting out cheese completely (any dairy, as others have said) has helped me. I don't plan on not eating it for long...just to get me past this little plateau I was on. ;)

trustycat Fri, Feb-20-04 20:42

haha--yes, the cheese for two days does sound like the perfect way to get constipated! Also, probably has a lot of sodium :)
I guess my point was that different things work for different people--- for instance, if u eat A LOT of bacon or A LOT of heavy cream and then cut it out, sure, you'll loose. but that doesn't mean cutting out all processed meats or all dairy will help the next person, who may be consuming those in smaller amounts or may not be affected by them at all. Trick is to not be paranoid by the scale, and try to eat healthily so that u feel good-- if cutting out all cheese is going to leave u craving it more (and hence, likely to binge on cheese or on something worse), then u should probably allow yourself a tiny bit :)