Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Awesome Chicken Broccoli recipe... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=46765)

DWRolfe Thu, Jun-06-02 12:37

Awesome Chicken Broccoli recipe...

Here's another recipe that I've referred to and several people have asked about....we love it and call it "Awesome Chicken With Broccoli"......it was orignally posted in the Reader's Recipe section as "Cheezy Chicken & Green Bean Casserole", but I'm not crazy about green beans...

8 chicken breast halves, boned (skin if you like)
1 package fresh mushrooms (sliced)
2-3 cups frozen or fresh broccoli (I use fresh, cut small)
1 large onion, sliced
4 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar/jack, use less if you like)
black pepper to taste
salt (you decide, I don't like salt)
garlic powder to taste
butter
olive oil

Heat oven to 350
In large skillet, brown chicken in olive oil and butter until partially cooked. Remove and lay into 13 x 9 baking dish (sprayed with PAM). Add broccoli around the chicken any which way you like.

To oil and butter (I add more butter now) in skillet, add your onion, celery and mushrooms (smells so good) and cook until onion is clear and wilting.

While veggies are cooking, mix cream, mayo, spices (I sometimes add some sour cream, too) and shreaded cheese. Stir it up.

Remove cooking veggies and lay across the chicken and broccoli. Then pour cream/mayo mix over all.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Let stand for 5 before serving.

I serve this with salad (and supplements and plenty of water). It makes enough for two people with leftovers for 2 lunches.

Don't have the counts, but check fitday if need be. I just know it's darn good....

ONE OF OUR MOST CRAVEABLE MEALS!

Try it!

Donald :wave:

joe burns Tue, Jun-11-02 16:01

It sounds g :roll: good even reading it

Making me hungrey already

Joe

MarieC Tue, Oct-15-02 07:49

This is awsome. Thanks for sharing.

nancy30 Fri, Oct-18-02 09:04

MMMMMmmmmmmm this sounds so wonderful can't wait to try it!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Akiwican Fri, Oct-18-02 09:13

Thanks Donald

This sounds like one for the books! Receipe book that is :D

:wave: Lesley

alto Fri, Oct-18-02 11:18

Thank you for posting this, Donald. I'm one who has to sneak in vegetables, and this looks like a dang tasty sneak :)

acipenser Mon, Oct-28-02 22:00

my oh my oh my

this dish is WONDERFUL!! the whole family loved it. thank you so much!!!

cre8tivgrl Wed, Oct-30-02 13:11

Yummy!! I am trying this for family tonight. It sounds so good I am sure it will be a hit!! I'll let you know!! :)

digwig Tue, Feb-18-03 12:44

I'm giving this one a bump, since Donald mentioned it in his journal today.

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

Dig

Jeepers Thu, Feb-20-03 05:38

wooo hooo

Mmmmmm sounds yummy...thanks Donald!

And a big thanks to dig for bumping it...i never would have found it! :p

-Amy

tripletmom Sun, Apr-06-03 21:54

As a Master Cook Deluxe Owner...

... I felt it was my DUTY to post the nutritional information!! I used 8 servings, since I figured 4 was a bit small... just do your math to make adjustments to count!!

Hugs

Karen

Suzan Sun, May-04-03 20:55

MMMMMM !!!

Excellent Donald! I only discovered your recipe about four days ago and I'm already making it for the second time.

I did a little change though. Since this recipe reminded me of one I used to have years ago called Classy Chicken I tweaked it a bit to be like that since I really liked it. I added curry to the sauce mixture! Don't ask how much - I recommend you just add what you like - I add lots 'cause I love it. Then, rather than mix the shredded cheese in with the sauce I put it on the top.

It was great...just ask my dog and three cats!

Also, I was going to skip the celery but I'm so glad I didn't - it really adds a nice touch Donald! Thanks for this recipe.

PS - you look terrific - you're such an inspiration!

Suzan

cori Mon, May-12-03 12:24

Mmmmmm....

Let me say that again. Mmmmmmm... It was delicious. I made it for my Mother's Day dinner for my mom & stepdad and they loved it!!! Thank you!

TBird710 Wed, May-21-03 18:57

This was great! Made for Mom & Dad and they actually enjoyed it. This is the first low carb dish they have liked!

CAINNE Fri, Jun-27-03 10:19

This recipe was awesome!! Whole family loved it.

Was thinking some red peppers would give it some good color.

The juice was quite thin, any ideas how to thicken it up?

CAINNE Fri, Jun-27-03 12:17

This recipe was awesome!! Whole family loved it.

Was thinking some red peppers would give it some good color.

The juice was quite thin, any ideas how to thicken it up?

coolazchic Mon, Jul-07-03 20:23

This was a wonderful, wonderful,wonderful, wonderful,wonderful, wonderful,wonderful, wonderful,wonderful, wonderful,wonderful, wonderful, dish....and did I mention it was wonderful? :thup: Thumbs up for sure. Thanks for sharing this!!! :thup:

Analei Mon, Jul-21-03 11:48

YUM!!

I found this on Friday and made it Sunday for dinner. It was great! It fed 7 of us and I still have some left for my lunch today. It was sooooo good.

Thanks for the great receipe! :yay:

soslosue Tue, Jul-29-03 08:04

This Awesome Chicken was truely AWESOME! I made it last night (didn't have any chicken breast so I used chicken legs)...it was still fabulous!

tammy39 Thu, Oct-02-03 19:58

WOW!! i made this tonight and it is wonderful!!!! recipes such as this makes living the low carb way of life a breeze! i was out of mayo so i subbed cream cheese for it,turned out mmm mmm good,thank you donald for another wonderful recipe....my mom had gotten into the bad habit of eating too much lc candy,i gave her this recipe the other day and she raved about it,i wanted to put this back to the front of recipe page....on a 10 star rating i give it.....* * * * * * * * * * stars :)

sunspine17 Thu, Oct-02-03 20:30

Donald-

This sounds WONDERFUL. Before LC DH used to make a chicken bake with broccoli, mac & cheese and bread crumbs. That's one of the things I truly miss. Sounds like this will fill that void-- YAY! This is on my weekend list of new recipes to try. I can't wait!

Thanks for posting it!

DWRolfe Fri, Oct-03-03 09:39

Glad y'all liked this one! I made it last weekend too, for the first time in months. I made a double batch, so that we could have it on Sunday night and then again during the week. The batch we saved and re-heated during the week was sooooo good! It's cold here now, so it was a good, hot, stick to your ribs kind of dish.

Enjoy!

Donald

P.S. It's great to serve it over rice or noodles for your non LCing dinner mates...

Norma June Sun, Oct-05-03 06:48

Donald, when I saw your name beside this recipe I knew it was a keeper. I'm a DDPQ addict!. I know you could develop a recipe with ingredients like:

1 lb. old shoe laces,
4 quarts machine oil
2 tbsp. cement mix

..... well you get the idea huh? I think I"m a Donald fan, your recipes are the kind that knock your socks off.

Thanks for posting it and thanks to digwig for bumping it, I never would have found it .. but then again perhaps if I did a search for any post by you Donald I might find some other gems.

I'm off to the grocery store ... will post my review which I know will be a 5 star.

Trainerdan Fri, Oct-17-03 11:55

Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

I am adding this to next week's menu. Look forward to it ...

kevjol Mon, Oct-20-03 17:34

I'm making this for dinner tonite

While it was in oven I did the breakdown as it was written and here is what Fitday says:

Whole Dish
source grams cals %total
Total: 4386

Fat: 361 3245 74%

Sat: 153 1381 32%

Poly: 50 449 10%

Mono: 135 1215 28%

Carbs: 93 300 7%

Fiber: 18 0 0%

Protein: 206 822 19%

Per Serving

source grams cals

Fat: 45.125

Sat: 19.125 172.625

Poly: 6.25 56.125

Mono: 16.875 151.875

Carb: 11.625 37.5

Fiber: 2.25 0

Protein: 25.75 102.75

Just in case anybody was wondering only 9.375 net carbs

Now I'm going to eat some bye

kevjol Mon, Oct-20-03 17:50

I just had it for dinner and I LOVE IT!!!

forgot to mention I added 1/2 cup sour cream
and above numbers have it added in sorry

slimpat Tue, Oct-21-03 16:35

:yay: :yay: :yay: I made this with the extra sour cream on Sun for the family and they all loved it. There was just enough left over for DH and me for dinner tonight. This is a real keeper. Plan to make it often. Thanks for posting it.
Pat in Michigan

ChristaS Tue, Oct-21-03 17:18

Awesome Chicken lives up to it's name! I added the 1/2 cup of sour cream too and the sauce was of perfect consistency.

Tedmom Sat, Oct-25-03 05:08

Made this recipe last night for supper and it was very good. Everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe!

cincin11 Sun, Nov-02-03 09:51

It sounds delicious , I am just wondering. Which way is better? With sour cream or without? And has anyone tried it with green beans?