Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   LC Panago Pizza? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169322)

Allikins Thu, Feb-26-04 01:08

LC Panago Pizza?

Anyone else seen the ad for panago's LC pizza. I checked the website and they say it's as low as 3.3g per slice (depending on toppings)...but who can eat just one slice of pizza? They don't give the ingredients for the crust so I'm assuming it's just regular crust but real thin?

capercop Thu, Feb-26-04 11:04

Yiippee ... they are opening one a few bloks from my house. It will be nice to not have to pull toppings off the pizza. Even three slices could have you in the 10-15 carb range. Not too shabby !!

c440 Thu, Feb-26-04 21:05

http://panago.com/ has some info on it

Allikins Thu, Feb-26-04 22:09

I already looked at the site before I came here. The website doesn't give ingredient info. All they give is carb count per slice for each of the different pizzas.

Saweetie Tue, Mar-02-04 00:29

has anyone tried it yet?

Website information is pretty vague...but interesting to know that they are trying!

Colleen2 Tue, Mar-02-04 09:05

Check out the article in today's Vancouver Sun about the pzza

slapnuts Tue, Mar-02-04 09:20

How about a synopsis for those of us who don't live in Vancouver?

MoonGlow Tue, Mar-02-04 10:01

You can read the article on-line here:

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/van...02-3451fc00ab7f

I can't wait to try it out!

blueowl Tue, Mar-02-04 12:51

It appears this is not available in all there locations (although the website does not imply any restirctions). We were in Victoria this past weekend, and tried to order from the colwood location. The girl had no idea what we were talking about. She had to check, and came back and said they don't have it. We asked if it was available at all in Victoria, she said no. So we went to Villages (well King Geroges to be exact).

So make sure you call up ahead of time to see if your location is serving it, so you won't be disappointed

Starmaker Tue, Mar-02-04 13:04

so is the dough low carb?

Allikins Wed, Mar-03-04 13:47

Starmaker, that's what I was wondering. Here's a lil bit of the Vancouver Sun article:

"Green said Panago studied how to reduce the key ingredients that account for the highest carbs in a slice of pizza, and flour is a big culprit.

"We tried to find low-carb alternatives that have the greatest impact on the carb count and the lowest impact on the flavour," he said.

To do that, Panago has replaced flour with a combination of wheat gluten, corn starch and oat fibre. You might expect it to taste like cardboard, but it just tastes like a skinny version of the full deal, and it's still steady enough to hold all those toppings."

Jade74 Wed, Mar-03-04 15:40

I'll be enjoying some for dinner tonight, along with an ice cold Sleeman's clear...
I'll let you know my verdict!

Jenn

Allikins Wed, Mar-03-04 16:42

Yeah, let us know, I'm curious as how it tastes. Let us know which topping you decide to get too. Cuz depending on topping carb count changes.

Hubby is itching to get pizza again (he's not LCing but doesn't want to eat it in front of me) so if I can get a lc pizza, I'm sure he'll be happy.

SJH Wed, Mar-03-04 19:17

Jade74 - What is Sleeman's Clear?

Colleen2 Wed, Mar-03-04 19:53

Sorry I'm not Jade74 - but Sleeman's Clear is beer.
Very good beer, actually. Low carb. Molson's and Labatts make them also. Readily available in the lower mainland.

SJH Wed, Mar-03-04 21:15

Thanks Colleen, I thought - rather hoped - it was something like a Triple Black Ice which I do miss.

Starmaker Thu, Mar-04-04 09:00

Hubby can't stand the low carb beers. He hasn't tried Sleemans yet though. He tried Sterling and he said it tastes like Pilsner but without the buzz lol. He also complained about a gross aftertaste. He even missed the beer belches (I however...didn't lol) nor the smelly beer farts! ;)

Jade74 Thu, Mar-04-04 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmaker
He hasn't tried Sleemans yet though. He tried Sterling and he said it tastes like Pilsner but without the buzz lol. He also complained about a gross aftertaste.

I didn't like the Sterling either... it tasted like it had carbonated water in it or something... it was fizzy tasting to me. Like all good Manitoban's, Lab Lite was always my beer of choice, but I really didn't like the Sterling at all. I love the Sleeman's clear though, so get him to give it a try. I haven't tried the Molson's...

Jenn

Jade74 Thu, Mar-04-04 09:08

Drumroll please.....

Well, we ordered the New York Deli (4 gm per slice for a medium) pizza from Panago's last night, and I was more than happy with it! :thup: :thup:
DH, myself and our friend Julia all had it for dinner, and we all thought it was great... DH claimed that my deep dish pizza quiche is better, so he didn't get to have a third piece! :lol:
It tasted like a pizza with a super thin crispy crust, and it was good. I would recommend it to anyone!!

Jenn

Allikins Thu, Mar-04-04 09:57

Thanks for the pizza info Jenn. I think Hubby and I will have to try this pizza soon. :) Maybe tonight.

slapnuts Thu, Mar-04-04 10:11

I had the panago low-carb pizza last night. Unfortunately, I took it a little overboard. I think that stuff needs to be a very occasional treat because I love Pizza and ended up eating 1/2 doz slices. :doah: MMMM Pizza

Allikins Fri, Mar-05-04 01:13

I had LC panago pizza tonight. Just had plain cheese and it was good. I found the crust might have been a little bit over cooked but all in all it was nice to have almost regular pizza. I think next time I'll order something with a little more toppings. I'm just really picky with pizza though.

reneeg1 Sat, Mar-06-04 08:26

I can't wait to try it but my husband is picky so he would want to order from another place for his pizza.

I tried the Molson beer and found the taste a bit heavy with a bitter aftertaste, but for those who like that in a beer then it might be the way to go.

yuckycarbo Fri, Mar-12-04 21:30

I ordered a medium tonight. I got the New York Deli w/ White Jalepeno sauce. He said that was their lowest carb sauce. *shrug*. It was probably around 5-6 carbs a slice, and I ate all 8 slices in about 15 minutes... but it's a treat. Tommorow i'm off to the gym bright and early to work it all off. It's good pizza, but it's definately not a low carb solution. It's good for normal people though, who just want to cut back on carbs.

BTW, the guy on the phone told me that the Medditerrenian was the lowest in carbs.

cmcole Sat, Mar-13-04 10:11

I know Villages has LC Pizza (they were the first in Victoria to have it - there was an article in the TC).

I didn't know King George's had it, too. I know they took over the Villages location in Colwood/Langford (and I wasn't impressed with their selection when we ordered and were given "substitutes").

Chris's on Goldstream is working on it. I sent him a pile of links to various bread and the like recipes because we were talking about it. His major drawback is the cost of the ingredients, as he is a single operation, rather than a franchise.

cdnjan Sun, Mar-14-04 13:52

cmcole...you may want to tell him [Chris's Pizza] about the Villages Pizza Mix is available from Son's Milling in Victoria....They are selling it to like Thriftys so am sure he can get it wholesale somewhere.
Jan

faeriegirl Wed, Mar-17-04 14:45

I had some of this pizza the other day. Soooooo good!!! The crust is thin, and a little chewy, but i was pleasantly surprised. It is very hard to stop at 1 piece, and i *ahem* ate 3.. :) I recommend it highly! another option instead of the subway wraps :)

SJH Fri, Apr-02-04 19:53

:yay: Wow, we just had the Panago LC Pizza for dinner. What a treat. The deep-dish pizza quiche is nummy, but this is a nice treat. If you want more info, their website gives the full scoop on their LC choices. We just went with the pepperoni, because that's all the kids eat, and all thoroughly enjoyed it. It almost reminds of a trendy restaurant pizza on a super thin, crispy crust.
Have a good weekend all. :)

Cordelia Tue, Apr-06-04 13:52

We had it for dinner on Friday night and decided it was too soggy to be exactly like *real* pizza. It doesn't have that same crunch thunch that regular pizza has (i was always a big crust fan). But it does hit that drippy cheese, tomato sauce lots of meet goodness craving. I think we got the New York Deli too so we will probably order it again.

Allikins Tue, Apr-06-04 15:48

Cordelia, what do you mean by soggy? The panago here cooks it so crispy. I agree that it's not exactly like regular pizza though.